RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Track Edition Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-24, 08:57 AM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RCF Track Edition Tires.

I recently purchased a 2020 RCF Track Edition. So Far I am very happy with it and I am very happy with the driving dynamics and handling, but I was wondering if anyone has put different tires on their RCF to improve the handling while caynon carving at high speeds. The other thing I was wondering is if having the tires the same size in the front and rear would help traction and handling ?

Thank You.
Old 07-18-24, 10:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Yes, I wanted more aggressive tires, but not too aggressive like Cup 2 tires. I stuck with the PS4S tires like your TE (my OEM were 2015 - 2019 RCF-Spec PSS tires), but went with much higher load rating tires. OEM PSS and PS4S tires have a load index of 92Y front and 96Y rear. That is very low for a car that weighs almost 4000 lbs. The trade off, was ride comfort. The ride is a bit stiffer than it was with the OEM PSS, but the gains are dramatically improved support from the tire walls under sudden transitions or high speed/ high G load turning. I upgraded to 96Y front and 100Y rear. If I compare the shoulder blocks on my PS4S with the OEM RCF-Spec PSS and PS4S tires, they look huge. Also, my PS4S even on OEM 255/275 size, measured 1/2 inch wider than my OEM PSS tires (to my surprise). If you want to go more aggressive like Cup 2 tires or Bridgestone Potenza RE71 etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-18-24 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-18-24, 02:18 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, I wanted more aggressive tires, but not too aggressive like Cup 2 tires. I stuck with the PS4S tires like your TE (my OEM were 2015 - 2019 RCF-Spec PSS tires), but went with much higher load rating tires. OEM PSS and PS4S tires have a load index of 92Y front and 96Y rear. That is very low for a car that weighs almost 4000 lbs. The trade off, was ride comfort. The ride is a bit stiffer than it was with the OEM PSS, but the gains are dramatically improved support from the tire walls under sudden transitions or high speed/ high G load turning. I upgraded to 96Y front and 100Y rear. If I compare the shoulder blocks on my PS4S with the OEM RCF-Spec PSS and PS4S tires, they look huge. Also, my PS4S even on OEM 255/275 size, measured 1/2 inch wider than my OEM PSS tires (to my surprise). If you want to go more aggressive like Cup 2 tires or Bridgestone Potenza RE71 etc.
so if I’m understanding you correctly keeping the same tires but changing the load index helps with handling ?

would the Cup 2 tires be better for cornering and performance ?
Old 07-18-24, 05:38 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf
so if I’m understanding you correctly keeping the same tires but changing the load index helps with handling ?

Cup2 are a 200TW tire meant for track use. They will help with cornering and grip over all but they need to be AT TEMPERATURE and at the correct pressures. They are also not great in the wet as they are optimized for the dry. CUP2's (and Michilens for that matter) are over priced. You can shop around and find better performing tires for cheaper.

As to your second question it is not recommended running a square setup. The different sized tires help the car oversteer.
The following users liked this post:
Ftcgsf (07-18-24)
Old 07-18-24, 05:46 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by brendanf
Cup2 are a 200TW tire meant for track use. They will help with cornering and grip over all but they need to be AT TEMPERATURE and at the correct pressures. They are also not great in the wet as they are optimized for the dry. CUP2's (and Michilens for that matter) are over priced. You can shop around and find better performing tires for cheaper.

As to your second question it is not recommended running a square setup. The different sized tires help the car oversteer.
thank you ! That is great info that I did not realize.

maybe I will just stick to the stock tires.
Old 07-18-24, 06:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftcgsf

That is correct. The higher load index means the tire can handle much higher corner loads. From what I remember, they were made for some very heavy AMG model. With inertia at high speeds combined with the fact that the front structure is very stiff (less corner loading available under braking) with minimal negative camber on a staggered setup. All of that means the chassis works the front tires very hard and can lead to front tires getting overwhelmed (understeer) so having very strong Kevlar reinforced sidewalls really help fight off deformation on the inner and outer sidewalls.

​​​​
​​​

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-18-24 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ftcgsf (07-18-24)
Old 07-18-24, 06:47 PM
Ftcgsf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is correct. The higher load index means the tire can handle much higher corner loads. From what I remember, they were made for some very heavy AMG model. With inertia at high speeds combined with the fact that the front structure is very stiff (less corner loading available under braking) with minimal negative camber on a staggered setup. All of that means the chassis works the front tires very hard and can lead to front tires getting overwhelmed (understeer) so having very strong Kevlar reinforced sidewalls really help fight off deformation on the inner and outer sidewalls.

​​​​
​​​
great info. Thank you ! I think I will keep the same tires and just change the load index.
Old 07-21-24, 11:32 PM
frank1015
Driver

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts

The TE is a great machine, but the stock Michelin PS 4's are underwhelming at best. The rear breaks way too easily and the fronts suffer from "plowing" on turn in. The sidewalls aren't stiff enough. The car deserves better tires. I'm on my second set of Falken Azenis RT660's. I upped the size up front to 265 and left the rear at 275. Massive grip with sharper steering response and better cornering. Incredible tires. They are a 200 rated track tire so life expectancy isnt as long as the Michelins, but if you don't daily drive your TE I highly recommend these tires.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 594 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by frank1015
The TE is a great machine, but the stock Michelin PS 4's are underwhelming at best. The rear breaks way too easily and the fronts suffer from "plowing" on turn in. The sidewalls aren't stiff enough. The car deserves better tires. I'm on my second set of Falken Azenis RT660's. I upped the size up front to 265 and left the rear at 275. Massive grip with sharper steering response and better cornering. Incredible tires. They are a 200 rated track tire so life expectancy isnt as long as the Michelins, but if you don't daily drive your TE I highly recommend these tires.
I run these on my dedicated track wheels, in a square setup. Keep the PS4S on stock wheels for the streets.