RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 06:50 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
"spikey on-limit" handling of M4 was easily seen on MT video comparo vs RC-F... watching Randy Pobst drive them both side by side, difference in result was really small but RC-F required drastically less corrections on track.

Most of us are not Randy Pobst, especially me.
It had always been the BMW M-philosophy that "The chassis must always be faster than the engine".

While the current M4/M3 has excellent agility with its lower curb weight and factory suspension tuned for oversteer, we are witnessing the pendulum shift to a case where the power is actually overwhelming the chassis based on the current generation M4/M3's poor stability on the track.

The RC-F is a testament to Lexus' "Wield Precision" philosophy that "It isn't real performance unless it's wielded with precision".
Old 11-04-14, 03:58 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
When will we see full coverage by major publications? I'm talking about cover stories with full tests on Motor Trend, Automobile, R&T, etc.? December?
I just got my Car & Driver with the RC F full test in the mail.
Old 11-05-14, 11:01 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redspencer
It had always been the BMW M-philosophy that "The chassis must always be faster than the engine".

While the current M4/M3 has excellent agility with its lower curb weight and factory suspension tuned for oversteer, we are witnessing the pendulum shift to a case where the power is actually overwhelming the chassis based on the current generation M4/M3's poor stability on the track.

The RC-F is a testament to Lexus' "Wield Precision" philosophy that "It isn't real performance unless it's wielded with precision".
The M cars are designed to be fun..therefore they are tail happy. Its not a consequence of a bad chassis, its because the car is designed for that. Its the same story in the 135i and 235i.
Again same concept used by toyota in the 86/BRZ/FR-S.

I think Lexus has targeted this car at a different market to the M4. The Lexus is for people who want the V8 and the luxury and a decent ride.
The M4 has always been targeted to people who love to drive.
Old 11-05-14, 11:22 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

M3/4 and the RCF both deliver similar performance numbers
but they execute it in a different way
previous ISF was going head to head with the M3
trying to match it in nearly every aspect

with the new RCF they have delivered the same level of performance but in a different way
seems like to me lexus has finally found its true colours
Old 11-06-14, 05:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
M3/4 and the RCF both deliver similar performance numbers
but they execute it in a different way
previous ISF was going head to head with the M3
trying to match it in nearly every aspect

with the new RCF they have delivered the same level of performance but in a different way
seems like to me lexus has finally found its true colours
I like how you worded this: "lexus has finally found its true colours."

What matters in the design of new car is that is all must come together. It is clear that the RCF is actually much more a track car than most of us had expected. What is amazing to me is how the sum of its parts combine to propel this car at a level equal to and apparently exceeding (at times) the M4.

Both of these cars have so much to offer. The key differentiators for Lexus are reliability, excellence on the road and the track, the sound of the V8, predictability, and, for me, the near exotic design.

Yes, they appear to have found their true colors. The car is truly an amazing machine.
Old 11-06-14, 10:27 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the driver’s seat of the 2015 Lexus RC 350 F Sport, MotoMan shares his thoughts on Lexus’ latest car as it relates to the luxury sport coupe segment dominated by BMW & Audi . . .
Old 11-06-14, 05:52 PM
Orion
Rookie

Lexus RC media test drive canceled in Japan -- for lack of interest
http://www.autonews.com/article/20141106/BLOG06/141109881/lexus-rc-media-test-drive-canceled-in-japan-for-lack-of-interest

Originally Posted by Autonews
TOKYO -- Well, this is embarrassing. For Toyota Motor Corp. as well as Japan’s so-called automotive press corps.

Toyota notified journalists last week that a long-scheduled new-car test-drive event was scrubbed -- for lack of interest.

And it was not just for any new car. The event was supposed to showcase the new Lexus RC sports coupe, the lineup’s new halo car in a post-LFA world and definitely its best-looking one.

Also on hand: the RC F high-performance version.

The drive, which was to be held Friday in Yokohama just south of Tokyo, “has been canceled due to insufficient attendance,” Toyota said in an apologetic email to non-Japanese media based in Japan.

Both Japanese and non-Japanese media were invited. Automotive News, for the record, RSVP’d to show up and drive.

Toyota’s cancelation is all but unprecedented. It begs the question of whether it would have saved more face just to go ahead with the event, even with a pathetically low turnout.

Toyota public relations was stunned. A baffled spokesman said it was just one more sickening example of the auto-alienation syndrome gripping this country and its young.

It’s a common refrain these days: Japanese just don’t get geared up about cars anymore, not even sexy ones like the RC.

Some journalists had a different take.

“Why would I go all the way to Yokohama to test drive a sports car like the RC and just sit in traffic?” quipped one German business reporter who was put off by the hour trip out of town.

To be sure, the event lacked the cachet of Lexus’ weekend country road trip in rural Japan for the GS. Or even the Scion FR-S’s mountain pass drive through the foothills of Mount Fuji.

But the miffed German journalist, comparing the Lexus RC offer with similar events sponsored by Mercedes-Benz or BMW in his homeland, said it also spoke to a deeper disconnect in Japan.

“If it’s a luxury brand, they need to radiate a certain image,” he said. “Even to journalists.”
Old 11-06-14, 06:35 PM
Orion
Rookie

Lexus 2015 RC F and RC 350 F Sport Review
http://www.mantripping.com/mancation...rt-review.html
Big powerful engines are back without compromise this year and if you are looking for something special to make your mark on the neighborhood then oh boy do you have some great options! A couple weeks ago we had the chance to strap into the 5.0-liter V8 Lexus RCF for a blistering tour of New Orleans and Louisiana back-roads propelled by this 467 hp luxury sedan. Did we like it? no - we loved it!

This is not the boring Lexus brand that you may have expected, this is a no apologies honest to goodness sports car that you need to consider if you are looking for something that oozes power, style, and luxury.

It may be strange to start out a review of a car with a beast of an engine by first focusing on the interior but that's what struck me first. This is clearly a car and a brand that you are selecting not just because it fills check-marks on a spec sheet but that gives you a visceral touch, smell, and full body feel that you have arrived.

I've reviewed a lot of cars over the past few years but it was clear that Lexus is more than just a name - from the carbon fiber accents on the door to the high quality stitching and an overall interior that was leagues beyond your typical family sedan. Unlike some mainstream brands that add "luxury features" this car wraps the driver in the feeling of uncompromised power, style, and luxury that he demands at work and enjoys on the weekends to blow off some steam at the track.

The 467 hp engine paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission is capable of delivering 0-60 in 4.4 seconds and on the highway we let her rip at speeds that made us dream of testing her on a track to see just how fast she could go. There is also a "manual mode" with paddle shifters but unless you are in a racing situation, the automatic transmission performed extremely well and I found that the shifters were more for decoration.

At "acceptable road speeds" on back roads though, the Lexus RCF performed incredibly well with the ability to adapt to different types of terrain (except we weren't able to test it in snow ).

I'm disapointed that we didn't get to push it to the limits on the track but this video should give you a good idea of what to expect if we had ...
Old 11-07-14, 10:30 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Car & Driver RC F review…

"Just a few horses shy of sensational"
"the car also gained a good bit of weight, and ... feels no quicker than the IS."

proceed at your own risk...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Wow, a review from a journalist that hasn't even driven the car....
Old 11-07-14, 01:17 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

2015 Lexus RC F: Best Car To Buy Nominee
With all of these comparisons to the BMW M3 and M4—also nominated for this year’s Best Car To Buy award—it’s clear that the Lexus RC F has a real chance to take the overall win. Find out more about each of the 15 nominees during the run-up to our official announcement of the winner on November 10th.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...to-buy-nominee
Old 11-07-14, 03:08 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
The comments reflect the ignorance of the article.
Old 11-07-14, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Umm, no. I got the C&D issue in the mail too. Their test car produced the same numbers as the IS-F. They certainly drove the car and had a lot of good things to say about it, but ultimately it failed to produce better road test numbers than the IS-F did.
Old 11-07-14, 03:31 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howd they get factual numbers from September? Thats when the online article is from- 2 months ago. They had the same experience and cars as every other magazine/journalist. Pre production cars detuned. Unless they have a brand new write up on a production car, their numbers are pointless.
Old 11-07-14, 03:49 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Umm, no. I got the C&D issue in the mail too. Their test car produced the same numbers as the IS-F. They certainly drove the car and had a lot of good things to say about it, but ultimately it failed to produce better road test numbers than the IS-F did.

It says so in the article at the end of the 6th paragraph: "We’ll have an RC F to test soon, so stand by." I don't know how clearer it can get.
Old 11-08-14, 09:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

It says so in the article at the end of the 6th paragraph: "We’ll have an RC F to test soon, so stand by." I don't know how clearer it can get.
Originally Posted by Page 71 C&D 12.2014
With all the data crunched, the RC F proves no quicker than the old IS F. Nor is it slower, though. We recorded a 4.3 second zero-to-60 and a quarter-mile time of 12.8 seconds, identical to a 2008 IS F.
There is nothing in paragraph 6 about "We’ll have an RC F to test soon, so stand by." I don't know what you are reading, but I am reading the print edition, and this is precisely what C&D said about their test RC F.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread