Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 12:32 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus RC F: Three Laps at Willow Springs

http://www.canyon-news.com/lexus-rc-...-springs/41421

The Steering Column

UNITED STATES—It was just past noon at Willow Springs International Raceway. The event, Motor Press Guild’s Track Days, was beginning to wind down. The sweltering heat was now chasing even the most fanatical automotive journalists into the refreshment hanger. I knew it was now or never. I knew this was my chance to find out just how much I could learn about the new Lexus RC-F from just a mere three laps on Big Willow, the “big boy track” (i.e. professional circuit) at Willow Springs.

As far as previous knowledge goes, I didn’t have much to draw from. Sure, there was plenty of unsubstantiated speculation going around that the new performance coupe from Lexus couldn’t possibly be better than the BMW M4. But this is such a common presumption made by many predisposed journalists that I largely ignore such clichéd sentiments at this point. And, curiously enough, BMW was absent from this event, precluding our ability to even compare the two rivals.

“Hmmmmmm,” I wonder. “Surely BMW wasn’t scared its M-tuned 4-series coupe would struggle to carry the torch.”

If so, it would not be a completely unfounded concern. After all, both Cadillac and Lexus were now building successful competitors to the 3-series. Are the king’s days on the throne numbered?

I put my helmet on and make my way over to the Infrared Lexus RC-F. Upon entry, I immediately find the cockpit to be more inspired than anything in its class. The prominent LCD tachometer paying homage to the now discontinued Lexus LF-A. This particular RC-F was fitted with the Performance package, which meant it came with loads of carbon fiber paneling and a button marked “TVD” on the center consol.

“What’s this button do?” I ask Lexus rep., Brian Alexander.

“That’s the Torque Vectoring Differential”

He continues to explain to me that the car comes standard with a Torsen rear diff, but the TVD was an optional extra. It had three settings: Normal, Slalom, and Track. I, naturally, choose “Track”. Lastly, Brian suggests I dial in Sport S+ mode on the consol mounted drive settings dial. I comply without really grilling him on the various parameters that would be affected.

Lap 1

As I enter the track, my focus is razor sharp. I’ve successfully erased from my mind any concerns I might have had regarding my ability to retain the lessons learned from the previous day’s qualifying run. I pretty much have the track to myself at this point. I can take my time if I like to reacquaint myself with each and every turn. Speaking of turns, I immediately notice how much more I prefer the weighting of the RC-F’s steering over that of the last BMW M4 I drove. Cautiously, I keep the transmission in automatic mode to make sure I’m not overwhelmed with things to do while I’m rediscovering the ideal line through the course.

Lap 2

Okay, now we’re going to open it up a bit. The first straight away should see triple digit speeds. Should I see the rear wing deploy, I remind myself not to freak out, not like another journalist who panicked, thinking the trunk had popped open when he peaked in the rear view mirror of the Jaguar F-Type he was pushing hard through the second straight away.

Lap 3

Now my confidence is established, and not a moment too soon as I notice the BMW Performance Driving School M3 in my rear view mirror. Now I have to push it hard. I’m not going to be the one to hold up the professional racecar driver and his journalist passenger. How would that look to everyone else? I am a journalist, but I have my pride to consider. I floor it. Whoops! I slam on the brakes. I still haven’t figured out turn five between Budweiser Balcony and Monroe Ridge. Now he’s right on my tail. I have no choice but to let him pass on Wing’s Leg, the designated passing zone. Oh well. So I’m not going to beat the pro. But, I feel that, in the hands of a pro, the RC-F could take the BMW M3 or M4.

RC-F, Willow Springs
Lexus RC-F passing pit lane on final straight away at triple digit speeds, Big Willow, Willow Springs International Raceway

The Verdict

Say what you will about its imperfections. I overheard one journalist complain that the 8-speed direct-shift automatic needs some polishing. He didn’t like how the throttle blip on downshifts could momentarily disrupt the weight transfer under braking in fully automatic mode. He had a point. Things would probably be a whole lot smoother, albeit slower, if the torque converter unlocked during the act of rev matching. I have a hunch that turning the drive mode dial back from “Sport S+” to “Sport S” would call for more subtle shift engagements, but, again, I didn’t get a chance to test this theory during my three-lap run. Choosing “M” or manual mode would be the ideal way to wrest full control of shift timing from the computers, but, as the complaining journalist admitted, we journalists are far from professional drivers. The fewer things we have to remember to do on a racetrack, the better.

Ex Top Gear presenter, Jeremy Clarkson would probably come up with some clever simile concerning the aggressive electronic nannies. “It’s as if you were forced to sign over custody of the driving experience to a back-seat driving ex-wife”, he’d say. And maybe he’d have a point. Of course these nannies (the VDIM system) can be completely defeated in a way some cars in this class prevent, but he’d just find some reason why it’s “just too complicated to turn everything off.” It isn’t. And in any event, a journalist is never going to get anywhere near the limits of the system when it’s set to “Expert” mode.

But the simple fact of the matter is I never yearned for another go in the last M4 I drove the way I’m yearning for another lap in the RC-F. I almost can’t explain it. That interior…The howl of that V-8…That interior…That steering feel…That interior…I want one.
Old 10-16-15, 12:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Wish it was me in MY car on that roadway.
Me too. Ha ha. Hey, does you car accelerate that quick at higher speeds? And at what altitude do you live? Mine is barely past break-in, so maybe it'll get better, as I can now drive it aggressively. But based on yesterday's 'performance', I'd say no way it tops out above 150 at this altitude (4K'). And it'd take MILES to get there. I have the wing deployed all the time, but it's supposed to be deployed at high speeds, no? Could retract it to see how much of a difference it makes next time, but my guess is not much. Oh, and all this is done by a professional driver in a closed-course in Mexico. Comments on the wing issue welcomed.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-16-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-16-15, 05:21 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Me too. Ha ha. Hey, does you car accelerate that quick at higher speeds? And at what altitude do you live? Mine is barely past break-in, so maybe it'll get better, as I can now drive it aggressively. But based on yesterday's 'performance', I'd say no way it tops out above 150 at this altitude (4K'). And it'd take MILES to get there. I have the wing deployed all the time, but it's supposed to be deployed at high speeds, no? Could retract it to see how much of a difference it makes next time, but my guess is not much. Oh, and all this is done by a professional driver in a closed-course in Mexico. Comments on the wing issue welcomed.
My F accelerates like this, but I am at 320 ft.

Are you saying that your wing is not automatically elevating? You may need the new ECU for your motor.
Old 10-16-15, 10:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Are you saying that your wing is not automatically elevating?
No. Works fine. I just leave it deployed all the time, by turning it off on the lower dash when it's deployed. You can always leave it down as well, by turning it off when it's retracted. I was just asking, out of curiosity, if anybody knows how much it slows down the car at high speeds (retracted vs deployed). If you have the wing in auto mode, it will deploy by 80 mph regardless of mode (much earlier in sport modes).
Old 10-22-15, 12:11 AM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Drag race M4 vs. i8 vs. Cayman GT4 vs RC F.

RC F puts down the power the best.

Old 10-22-15, 01:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by aginnt
Drag race M4 vs. i8 vs. Cayman GT4 vs RC F.

RC F puts down the power the best.

Porsche Cayman GT4 vs BMW M4 vs BMW i8 vs Lexus RC F drag race - YouTube

Look at the Youtube comments section--it's hilarious : all the BMW fanboys shooting themselves and blaming all the conspiracy theories under the sun why the RCF puts down power better than their vaunted M4 LOL.
Old 10-22-15, 05:10 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default 2016 Lexus RC F: F is a passing (nearly everything) grade

http://www.stltoday.com/classifieds/...0H_Ezqc.mailto

October 21, 2015 12:00 am • By Dan Wiese Automotive Writer

As if dashing from zero to 60 in less than four-and-a-half seconds weren't enough, the Lexus RC F coupe ensures notoriety with a look that draws attention like a disco band at Symphony Hall.

Never mind the now-expected Lexus spindle grille — an acquired taste, to be sure; there also are available sectionalized LED headlights (we had 'em), a low-slung profile, cyclopic hood nostril, quad tailpipes and, finally, more arcs, humps, lumps, lines, creases, folds and slots than you'll find at an origami art exhibit.

Have mercy!

The hot-rod version of the RC 350, RC F ensures a passing (almost everything!) grade with a 5.0-liter, naturally aspirated V-8 that makes 467 hp through a standard, you-can-shift-it-with-paddles eight-speed automatic. Power goes to the rear wheels in the finest hot-rod tradition.

On the road, F is a ball. In addition to straight-ahead thrust and an electronically limited top speed of 170 mph, this F bomb adds performance enhancers that are both standard (limited-slip differential, vented Brembo performance brakes, staggered high-speed rubber on 19-inch wheels, speed activated rear spoiler) and optional (torque vectoring rear differential for more stable high-speed cornering).

Four driver-selectable chassis modes are offered: Eco (reduces throttle response and reduces efficacy of A/C; bet that gets used a lot); Normal; Sport S, which changes shift points for livelier driving; and Sport S Plus, which makes shifts even more aggressive, weights steering for quicker response and recalibrates electronic safety nets like stability control for aggressive driving.

Yep, this one's a blast, but only for two. The pair in the front will feel as if they put the car on rather than got in. In back? Fahgeddabodit! RC F has a back seat, but it's only to prove the car has a sense of humor. Even kids will squawk.

Regarding cabin controls, the console-mounted touch-pad for the center-stack screen — part of our $2,840 navigation and audio upgrade package — is enough to torque off your anger management counselor. It functions much like a laptop finger pad and is just as finicky. Fortunately, the center stack and steering wheel offer redundant buttons while the radio, thankfully, has ***** for volume and tuning.

If your goal is to go fast solo or with one other human, this one's a hoot.

For the record, we drove a 2015, but, save the addition of Lexus's Safety Connect telematic assistance service and an exhaust tweak, the 2016 is identical.

Dan Wiese is a freelance automotive writer living in St. Louis. He also is a regular automotive contributor to Fox 2 KTVI-TV St. Louis. You can email him at drivingwithdan@gmail.com

2016 LEXUS RC F

DRIVE FORMAT: Rear-wheel drive

BASE PRICE: $63,745

PRICE AS DRIVEN: $75,630; includes these major options: $4,400 Premium Pkg. (heat/vent front seats, carbon interior fiber trim, triple-beam LED headlights, Park Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, more); $2,500 Navigation/Mark Levinson (audio) Pkg.; $1,700 Torque Vectoring Rear Differential; $1,500 Forged Alloy Wheels

ENGINE: 5.0-liter V-8

HORSEPOWER: 467 at 7100 rpm

TORQUE: 389 lb.-ft. at 4800 rpm

REQUIRED FUEL: Premium

TRANSMISSION: Eight-speed automatic with paddle shift manual mode

SUSPENSION: Fully independent

BRAKES: Four-wheel Brembo vented disc, ABS, stability and traction control, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Brake Assist

EPA MPG: 16 city/25 hwy/19 combined

WHEELBASE: 107.5 inches

LENGTH: 185.2

CURB WT.: 3,958 lbs.

TRUNK: 10.1 cu. ft.
Old 10-22-15, 03:14 PM
JCtx
Racer

Looks like the RC-F driver was aggressively brake-torquing the tranny. You can't spin the tires like that by just mashing the throttle. I would never do that to my car. Wish they had launched it like any of us would, but whatever. As I mentioned before, if all cars launched properly, we'd be last. But not by much, as evidenced by the run where the RC-F got a slight jump on the others. Wonder how slower it'd be with just WOT (no brake-torque). By the way, HATE when they don't say how exactly each car was launched (nannies/mode used, method, etc), tire pressures, fuel used, etc. Enthusiasts want freaking details . Oh well.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-22-15 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:51 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/can-2...f-drift-bmw-m4 (Complete Article)

"The M4 is a torque monster and the car can get away from drivers who are not used to such a twitchy setup. There is no doubt the M4 can drift. The only question is can the driver catch it with opposite lock in time to keep it on the tarmac."

"Our favorite comments by the driver? Here they are in order:
- The RC F is “Nicely balanced.” “Very Balanced.”
- The RC F is ” A lot tidier than the BMW.”
- “If you keep the nose (of the RC F) tucked it does not understeer much.”
- The RC F has a “Pleasingly linear engine.”
- The RC F is “a deliciously old-school coupe”
- “I just don’t think (the M4) is quite as progressive as the Lexus.”
I'm also in PA. Do you drive your RC F in the winter? Snow? Cold dry temps? Do you change the rubber? I'm worried about the car for the winter, as I need a daily driver.
Old 10-24-15, 12:02 PM
Zerafian
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

CURB WT.: 3,958 lbs.
lighter then I thought for sure
Old 10-28-15, 04:34 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trek
I'm also in PA. Do you drive your RC F in the winter? Snow? Cold dry temps? Do you change the rubber? I'm worried about the car for the winter, as I need a daily driver.
Hey PA Driver...

I drive the RC F only on NON-SNOW days. I have an RX 350 for snow and icy road conditions. However, you should be able to drive the RC F normal mode with Blizzak tires.

Others in the club can provide insight into the merits of the tires, but I remember many IS F owners swore by their effectiveness in snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/brand...151028113215:s
Old 10-28-15, 04:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default REVIEW: RC F hot rod’s components have ties to Lexus family

The Lexus RC F is striking with quad exhaust tips anchoring a carbon-fiber rear wing and matching roof. A massive black mesh grille separates LED headlamps above fog lamp housing with more mesh. The result is a low-slung coupe with classic lines, large wheels and the closest model to the company’s LFA supercar, a $375,000 exotic.

Add to its looks a throaty sounding, naturally aspirated V-8 with 467 horsepower that propel this machine to 60 mph in a mere 4.4 seconds.

While the design is all-new, its body components are members of the Lexus family. The front clip is borrowed from the wide body GS, its mid section from the previous IS convertible and the rear clip from the current IS. New laser screw welding techniques give the RC F greater rigidity, according to Lexus engineers who built the tri-body from existing designs as a cost-cutting measure.

After driving the RC F for a week, I found it sets a new bar in the performance segment, combining racing technologies with a luxurious cabin.

A mouse pad on the center console controls practically everything in the car, albeit with some distraction while driving. Fortunately, there are redundant buttons throughout to make the same adjustments.

Some contorting is needed to fit into sport seats, but, once in, bolstering holds driver and passenger firmly in place with comfortable cushioning, lumbar support and power adjustments.

There is a back seat, and getting in is aided with an automatic seat forward track that moves ahead. There is not much leg room, though, and it is best used for cargo or small children.

You can travel long distances in this car and not become worn out. As a daily driver, the large engine delivers up to 25 miles per gallon if driven in a sensible manner. But if the need for speed is on your agenda, you may not find a more agile, competitive, firmly planted rear-wheel drive car on the planet.

It has four driving modes that, when selected, visually change gauge appearance as well as suspension, gearing and road manners. In addition, the torque-vectoring rear differential, adds three additional settings – normal, slalom and track for pure adrenaline rush while cornering.

Maneuverability is greatly enhanced, with improved traction sending more power to the outward wheel going into the turn and inward wheel coming out. This all happens in milliseconds and effectively eliminates understeer while accelerating.

Brakes are massive Brembo with varied-size front and rear slotted rotors containing multi-piston calipers.

Add in a speed-activated rear spoiler and wider rear tires than front and the fun factor increases exponentially. The RC F offers serious motoring with a luxurious interior. A few other cars offer their base-priced brand of exhilaration including the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG (63,900), Audi RS 5 ($70,900) and BMW M4 ($64,200). The Lexus RC F base is $62,400.

• Len Ingrassia is an independent automotive columnist. Email him at lenscarcorner@ptd.net.

Last edited by ISF001; 10-28-15 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 04:43 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default CarsGuide: 2015 Lexus RC F track review

Lexus departs from the luxury lounge to take a refined route to the track — and a soothing ride home afterwards.

You wouldn't expect a Lexus to cut it at the racetrack because they are all about luxury driving, right?

Not according to Lexus. The Japanese brand says its top of the range RC F coupe can be used for track days in the same way you'd use a BMW M3 or M4 or a Benz C63 AMG S.

The brand is also building a bit of a racing pedigree in Japanese GT, German GT3 and Pikes Peak.

The company's engineers say the RC F has been designed to be durable "for continuous circuit driving".

That was like waving a red flag at a bull, so we got hold of an RC F and took it to Wakefield Park racetrack for a spot of tracking.

On paper, the $133,110 RC F looks unsuited to track work, especially with its 1800kg weight and eight-speed Direct Shift auto transmission.

But for the doubters they are balanced by a 351kW/530Nm V8, 380mm front brakes with six-pot Brembo brakes, sticky Michelin Pilot rubber, a torque-vectoring differential and multiple transmission, suspension and steering settings.

Other track day participants were sceptical about the sexy Japanese coupe, until they were rounded up down the straight and also, surprisingly, under brakes and around some of the corners.

We spent time dialling-in the RC F through its various driving modes and settled on Sport S+ in "Slalom". There's one more setting called "Expert" where the stability control is turned off, but that proved a tad slower due to loss of drive out of some corners.

With a bit of stability control on, you can use the full power of the V8 out of corners without worrying about time-wasting tail-out oversteer

The engine is a beautiful piece of engineering

The engine percolated sweetly all day during some 40 or 50 laps of Wakefield but used a considerable amount of fuel. That's to be expected when you keep the 5.0-litre up around the redline much of the time.

Lexus claims the RC F will achieve 10.9L/100km driven normally.

Though it sounds impressive inside the car, spinning out to 7300rpm, the exhaust note outside is benign.

The engine is a beautiful piece of engineering but Lexus might have kept a bit too much in hand. Why not go the whole hog and crank out 368kW (500hp) instead of stopping at 351?

Running a high 12.3:1 compression ratio, it has race-car engine internals including strong forged steel conrods, special fuel injectors, variable cam timing and other high-end bits and pieces. Oil coolers are fitted to the engine and transmission.

It's a Yamaha design that started in the earlier IS F sedan and was modified for the RC F.

From a dynamic standpoint, there's no ignoring that 1800kg bulk but the car manages to gather itself and maintain tidy laps when pushed hard.

The dampers and springs furnish a relatively flat stance through corners and resist pitching under brakes.

The eight-speed auto feels like a paddle-shifting dual-clutch offering sharp changes up and down the range with the throttle blipping as you work down the ratios.

Tracking the RC F was a hoot

It has direct steering which allows accurate placement on the track at the limit and the brakes are sensational. Lexus used parts of three different models to create the RC F chassis — GS, IS and IS F.

It works, producing a rigid platform for this classy, luxury four-seater coupe.

It's all limited somewhat by street tyres and inappropriate wheel alignment but when you start changing those, you diminish a car's normal road driving feel.

Tracking the RC F was a hoot and the car was none the worse for the exercise.

The RC F is not quite as track-oriented as its German competitors, but it leaves them in its wake when you drive home in luxury listening to the 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio, luxuriating in ventilated soft leather seats and enjoying high-end cabin ambience with next to no noise.

Verdict

Much better than expected. Made quite a few detractors eat their words.
Old 10-28-15, 09:17 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default TOP Accelerations--RC F and M4

RC F - 268 KPH/166.5 MPH in around 31.5 seconds
274 KPH/170 MPH in around 34 seconds

M4 - 268 KPH/166.5 MPH in around 35 seconds

Old 11-04-15, 01:03 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default 2015 Lexus RC F (477 HP) vs 2015 Porsche 911 GT3 (475 HP) Acceleration 0-285 km/h

The RC F demonstrates it is no slouch!

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread