RC F automotive reviews thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 04:20 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Forbes: 2016 Lexus RC F: Restrained Aggression, Courtesy of Lexus

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/.../#203cff654fda

Lexus the premium Japanese brand credited with engineering some of the most polished luxury vehicles on the road, has adhered its chrome badge to an aggressive looking performance coupe that goes by a simple three-letter name: RC F. Launched for the 2015 model year, the RC F sits atop the automaker’s RC lineup, which includes a four- and six-cylinder offering in RC 200t and RC 300 guise, respectively. The RC F is the celebrated flagship of the range, powered by a eight-cylinder engine that gives it enough muscle to rub elbows with some of the world’s best sports coupes — including the highly touted BMW M4, Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, and Audi S5 (the RS 5, which was better aligned with the RC F, has been discontinued).

A glance across the parking lot at the metallic coupe explains why the RC F turns heads, but its sculpted body boasts scientific methodology. During development, the two-door spent many hours under a designer’s stylus, as well as in a wind tunnel with engineers. The result is an aerodynamic, yet very functional, design that drops jaws; our tester came to us in a deep shade of red that Lexus calls “Infrared”, a deep hue that perfectly highlights the handsome creases of the RC F.

A host of distinctive styling features make the RC F easy to distinguish from its aforementioned lesser brethren; these include functional fender vents, an active rear spoiler, quad stacked exhaust (a Lexus signature for its highest-performing models), and a quartet of Brembo calipers — clamping down on oversized 14.9-inch slotted rotors up front. Of course, burying a massive V8 in the nose required a large, bulged, and vented hood, which is also unique to the range-topping RC F.

The RC F’s 5.0-liter V8 engine is a relative of the engine found in the original IS F, its predecessor, but the majority of this engine’s components are different. The cylinder heads, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, as well as intake and exhaust manifolds have been reworked in order to allow the new engine to deliver 12 percent more power. Lexus likens the engine to being a descendant of the V10 found in the LFA — a $375,000 exotic that was on sale in 2010 — both in its relatively high winding style of power delivery as well as in the sound the engine makes as it builds revs.

RC F, by nature of its large naturally aspirated power plant, has a very unique sound that today’s smaller displacement and turbocharger equipped engines have a tough time replicating. As expected from any vehicle wearing the Lexus badge, the cabin is very well insulated from outside noise. However, when the car is in any of its first three driver-selectable modes (Eco, Normal, or Sport S), the lack of engine sound in the cabin seems almost out of place given that there is close to 500 horsepower on tap — this is a vehicle that can hit 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds from a standstill!

This lack of engine sound is easily remedied. When the drive mode dial is switched over to Sport S+, the engine audibly unleashes a throaty growl that builds into a howling wail from 4,000 rpm through redline. In order to balance a quiet cabin with what is essentially “engine sound on demand”, Lexus engineers have employed Active Sound Control (ASC), a system that measures engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position, and then pipes augmented sound into the cabin — it’s a common practice these days.

Although the idea of augmented engine sound is highly debated, Lexus’ implementation successfully adds a satisfying element to the driving experience of the RC F. That is to say, the blending of natural and augmented engine sound is seamless, and immensely pleasing to the senses. Those unaware that ASC is present may not even notice that a portion of the sound they are hearing is actually augmented.

You’d never know it by looking at the car, but the RC F is actually a hybrid of various parts taken from the Lexus lineup; its front section is taken from the Lexus GS, the center floor comes from the IS convertible (taking advantage of its robust rocker panel design), and the rear is based on the IS with added gusseting for strength.

The chassis is tied together using a combination of specialized manufacturing techniques including high-strength adhesive bonding, laser brazing, laser-screw and multi-spot welding. The result is a stiff structure that is able to both support the RC F’s V8 engine as well as survive the stress of the 467 HP and 389 lb-ft of torque that the engine delivers.

The RC F’s chassis stiffness is readily apparent when the coupe is pushed hard. The car feels solid, substantial and quiet on the inside when cruising, but more than eager to accelerate thanks to its potent power plant. Steering input response is sharp, and the car feels easy to point despite its mass. This is in part thanks to the fact that the RC F is equipped with a standard Torsen limited-slip differential. If desired, a torque vectoring differential that pushes power to the outside rear wheels to help with vehicle rotation is also available as an option. It is notable that the competing BMW M4 has a weight advantage of close to 400 pounds, not insignificant, and definitely a plus when it comes to vehicle agility.

The RC F was designed with the occasional track day in mind, and the car rides firm — but never harsh — as a reminder of that fact. The seats in the RC F contribute to its sporty feel, with supportive bolsters hugging the occupants during high lateral-G maneuvers. They are also relatively light on padding, meaning that the more mainstream RC models (200t and 350) may be better suited for road trip duties as they provide a more luxurious throne for those long stints behind the wheel.

The RC F is best enjoyed when its tachometer is on the right side of the dial — being pushed aggressively like a sports coupe — allowing the V8 to scream. Yet the overall impression, considering its mass and character, was that the Lexus is best suited for a GT, or Grand Touring, role. Distinctive styling sets it apart from the majority of other cars on the road while a potent engine ensures that the RC F has the grunt to back up its aggressive appearance. The RC F is quiet when needed, but can transform into a raucous beast with a quick turn of a dial. (This balanced approach to building vehicles has no doubt helped Lexus to lead its primary European competitors in shopper interest in the first quarter of 2016 on KBB.com.) It only takes but a few minutes behind the wheel of an RC F to realize that it successfully represents Lexus as a brand that achieves not just raw performance, but a balance of luxury and technology with a focus on the overall experience as well.
Old 05-25-16, 01:01 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Wheel--Lexus RC F (Translated from the Russian)

In 2007 the new range F from the Lexus Middle East peace IS F - суперседан contortion, for the Lexus placed squarely on the racing tracks and in the hearts of the lovers of speed. Its V8 on the 416 horsepower and precisely отстроенное chassis were sufficiently convincing arguments for the proof of its force. Followed by the LFA - outside appearance supercar, whose 552-strong V10 has not left the chance to doubt the seriousness of the Japanese intentions. In 2015, the time has come for a new Hero of the ruler F - powerful and surprising technology. It was RC F.

The new RC F - the most powerful vehicle with V8 in the range Lexus. The emergence of model RC it was clear that it will be the basis for the construction of the new high-performance solution that gives fans speed and track-days new sensation. Japanese engineers is not forced them to wait too long: result can already assess the stimulus.

Bodywork RC F created with a view to maximize the aerodynamic efficiency. All of the air ducts, the air vents and the curves of the functional and for better adaptation to the speed is and active element - automatically extending the rear spoiler, the idea of which Mikheil Saakashvili announced here brutalizing the LFA. It appears automatically when the vehicle speed reaches 80 km/h) and hides at 40 km/h), and also his work can manage and driver himself.

The engine of the new RC F - not only the surprisingly powerful, but also high-tech: he collected all the best Japanese MTBF of recent years. On the basis of the previous 416-strong V8, engineers fully his invention, it is not only the additional 130 kg of force, but also the opportunity to spin up to a high speed. Facilitating the internal components of the new cylinder head and increased the degree of compression yielded increases in 51 horsepower, bringing the total power up to 467 horsepower and the motor is now spinning up to 7100 rpm.

Maintainability of the motor - the result of the summation of the best achievements. When the work of the civil" mode the V8 with VVT-iE works on the cycle of Atkinson to improve fuel efficiency - this trick was stems from the hybrids company. But as soon as the driver hinted that it needs the maximum impact, the motor switches in the cycle of Otto.

A couple of such a motor is driving axle automatic transmission are scheduled for (Sports Direct Shift). Recycled for the new motor, it provides a more linear response to pressing the accelerator pedal, and respectively, and more gambling dynamics. In addition, it has four modes of operation: M, Normal, Sport S AND SPORT S , with already starting with the SPORT S in the work of the enter accelerometers and the азартном SPORT S CPT companionship and faster switches down on the cold braking. In addition, the torque distribution between the rear wheels are the differential with high internal resistance and the "Advanced" version - active differential with the distribution of the moment.

The settings of the engine and suspension new RC F Wim Delvoye Germany - Testing the vehicle was held at the famous Silverstone. As a result of front-free double link suspension and rear многорычажка at 70 per cent are different from the standard RC.

In calm and every day, new RC F submitted and in bright colors - blue Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0, red Infrared and orange Molten Pearl. And the vehicle will not remain without attention in the city or the racing circuit.
Old 05-26-16, 07:29 PM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...xus-rc-f-test/

BY JACK BARUTH

Do you miss the Pontiac Trans Am? I certainly do. I watched Knight Rider faithfully as a kid and would endlessly debate my friends about the differences between KITT and KARR. When the new-for-1982 T/A showed up at the Columbus Auto Show, I made sure that I was first in line to see it. Don't get me wrong; I liked the Camaro Z28, and I was kinda-sorta okay with the Mustang GT 5.0. But my young heart really only had room for one true love, and it wore a Pontiac badge. The Trans Am combined first-rate performance with over-the-top styling. It was a man's car, because no woman would be stupid or goofy enough to drive anything that looked like a Trans Am.

My first experience with the Lexus RC F, which occurred during our testing for PCOTY 2015, suggested that the outrageous-looking coupe might be a candidate for that Trans-Am-shaped hole in my heart. It certainly had the right visual package. The base RC coupe is anonymously striking the same way a four-cylinder '82 Firebird was, but the F-model adds just the right amount of wrong, so to speak.

That Predator grille: ridiculous and unnecessary. The headlights, unique to the RC F: ugly but amazing at the same time thanks to the triple-rectangle reflectors. Let's not forget the vented front fenders, the flared-out hindquarters, and the extra-tall hood that announces the presence of a V8 the same way the "power bulge" in the hood of the '82 Trans Am let the chump next to you at a stoplight know it was time to put on the right turn signal or take a serious ***-whipping.

The stage was set for a hot bromance, but as is often the case in these situations, a few external factors intervened to cool things down. During the fast-road portion of our drive, I was switching back and forth between the RC F and the Jaguar F-Type R coupe. The Jag has nearly a 100-hp advantage over the Lexus, and it also displays a joie de vivre that isn't immediately apparent in any Toyota product whatsoever. In that context, the RC F didn't exactly shine.

Once we got to the track, I didn't have enough time to master the various electronic configurations necessary to let the Lexus off the stability-control leash. As a result, I was thoroughly frustrated by the caliper-chomping, fun-killing interventions that occurred almost continually all the way around the Motown Mile.

The story would have ended there except for the fact that a friend who works for Lexus brought an RC F to a race I was running at New Jersey Motorsports Park last year, and my girlfriend absolutely fell in love with the car. She's been bugging me ever since to give the big coupe a second chance, and now that we're married it seems reasonable to pay attention to her when she asks for something. As fate would have it, Lexus had a Molten Orange RC F available last weekend, and I had a long drive to an open-lapping Saturday scheduled. It was a no-brainer to request the car to see if 900 road miles and 50 laps of Summit Point's Shenandoah racetrack could rekindle this stalled love affair.

(Between me and the RC F, not between me and my wife.)

Lexus
Every May since 2006, I've headed to Shenandoah to drive with the great people at TrackDAZE. The cars I've taken there have run the gamut from a Camry SE to a C7 Corvette Z51, with various Mustangs, Porsches, and even a Volvo in the mix as well. Over the past decade, I've probably run more than 25 different cars there. Although the track is notoriously unforgiving of mistakes thanks to a series of concrete walls that are rarely more than 15 feet off the racing surface, Shenandoah is really good at uncovering flaws in street cars thanks to its hectic mix of slow turns, fast sweepers, elevation changes, and one infamous "ski jump" on the back straight.

My schedule for the weekend was almost too tight to be practical; I planned to leave Columbus, Ohio at 11:00 on Friday night, arrive at Summit Point in time for the instructor's morning meeting, drive all day on track, then return to Columbus after dinner. By the time I got into the pumpkin-orange coupe to make the drive down, I was already tired from a long work day and an evening spent running around after my seven-year-old son.

The day before, I'd had lunch and a quick drive with a friend who noted that the RC F "is just like any other Lexus until the tach hits five grand." He's a GX470 owner, and I think he's employing a bit of hyperbole here, because the RC certainly has very little to do with the GX470, or the best-selling RX350, at any engine or road speed. With that said, there are some fundamental "Lexus values" that were an integral part of the original 1990-model-year LS400, like a library-quiet interior, a smooth ride, a brilliant stereo, and uncompromising build quality.

All of those basic values and/or virtues are also present in the RC F. The door glass is thick, and it seals perfectly despite being frameless. As long as the rotary drive-mode controller in the center console is set to "Normal," the car rides very, very well on all road surfaces. The optional Mark Levinson stereo can rattle your molars out, but nothing in the car will be rattling in sympathy with said teeth because there isn't a single panel or fitting in the RC F that is loose or sloppy in any way.

The automotive press has been quick to point out that the Lexus is considerably heavier than the equivalent BMW or Mercedes-Benz, even if you spring for the $5500 carbon-fiber package that also includes a tricky rear differential. I think it's just as important to point out that you get something in exchange for that extra weight, namely bank-vault solidity at all speeds and in all conditions. If you'd rather have a lighter sporting coupe that doesn't feel quite as much like it's milled from the proverbial single piece of steel, that's your choice. . . but at that point, you might as well go the rest of the way and get a Corvette.

THE RC F IS UTTERLY UNFLAPPABLE.
The drive from Columbus to Summit Point starts with a 200-mile freeway slog before switching over to old Route 40 for a foggy run up and down a series of mountains and then finishing with 60-plus miles of twisty two-lanes. In all of these situations, the RC F is utterly unflappable. The radar cruise control is a great tool for long drives on mostly empty roads; it stays vigilant even when you're distracted. On crowded freeways, unfortunately, even the smallest of the three different following-distance settings encourages other drivers to cut right in front of you, at which point the Lexus will haul on the brakes to the immense surprise of anybody in your rearview mirror.

My primary gripe with the RC F as a freeway cruiser has to do with the eight-speed automatic transmission. It's a conventional torque-converter-and-planetary gears affair, although the torque converter locks pretty much all the time in all but first gear. Presumably the internal clutches are strong enough to handle shifts on a locked converter, because the IS-F used the same system and has generally held up very well.

Lexus
The problem is that in an effort to maximize fuel economy, which averaged 19.7 mpg during my test, the RC F will get into seventh or eighth gear as soon as humanly possible and stay there. The kind of mild throttle pressure that usually summons a downshift in modern DSG-equipped vehicles doesn't produce any action whatsoever in the Lexus. You have to mash the throttle, at which point there's a half-second pause before fifth or fourth gear arrives, the 467-hp V8 revs up, and you are outta there. Until you get used to this, you'll find yourself disappointed by the RC F's power. It's not the engine; it's the transmission.

Once I was on Maryland Route 51 and hustling, however, the automatic became significantly more cooperative. This is a very quick car in a straight line, although some of its rivals, like the BMW M4, can post slightly better numbers. And it's even better on a curvy back road than the numbers suggest. The massive Brembo calipers are stout even with the factory pads and fluid, and the five-liter pushes to the redline in every gear before the next shift arrives with a precise "slam" that you don't get in any other torque-converter automatic. After 50 miles of full throttle and full brake at a pace that can best be described as "hurried," the RC F was ready for another 50. I was able to beat my own schedule plans by enough to get a two-hour nap before the driver's meeting at Summit Point.

THE SHIFTS ARRIVE WITH A PRECISE "SLAM" THAT YOU DON'T GET IN ANY OTHER TORQUE-CONVERTER AUTOMATIC.
As a track car, the Lexus has some distinct disadvantages. There's that weight we talked about before. Down Shenandoah's back straight, a C7 Vette can pick up about three car lengths on the RC F. Even a previous-generation E90 V8 M3 can gap it a tiny bit. It doesn't help that the transmission can be a bit imprecise with the upshift timing, so when you have it in manual mode, it's best to pull the right-side paddle just a fraction of a second before you think you'll really need the shift. This is made more difficult because the very tricky and cool TFT dashboard tends to wash out a bit in direct West Virginia sunlight, particularly when you're wearing polarized glasses. You have to shift on the sound of the thing because the tach needle is hard to find.

On the plus side, when you're in the braking zone, you can simply click the left paddle a few times and the RC F will delay the downshift until it's safe for the engine. Best of all, the paddles are mounted on the wheel, not the steering column.

Shenandoah is chock-full of tight turns, and the optional Torque Vectoring Differential is a great help here in fighting understeer. In situations where most cars would wash the front end, a little power goes a long way to keep the RC F neutral. It's been a long time since I drove a street car of this size that was this averse to pushing the nose. Maybe never. There's a screen in the RC F's display that shows you what the diff is doing, but of course, it's mostly invisible when you're on track and shouldn't be looking at it anyway.

Overall grip levels are good, better than that E90 M3 but a little short of a C7 'Vette. There are few cars that can drop the RC F around a middle-radius turn on a racetrack. But it's at corner exit that the Lexus will steal your heart. You see, most of the cars in this class are going turbo, which means that you're going to be faced with a flat torque curve as you unwind the steering and accelerate. With the BMW M4, that means that there's always a chance that the next bit of throttle you put on will spin the back wheels (if you have ESC off) or cause a stability-control event that will steal your speed (if ESC is on). With the Lexus, however, the naturally aspirated thrust is totally predictable and the drive-by-wire throttle control is almost hilariously precise. This means that you can get on the throttle nice and early and ramp up power very quickly. Almost nothing with four seats can beat the RC F out of a corner.

ALMOST NOTHING WITH FOUR SEATS CAN BEAT THE RC F OUT OF A CORNER.
I tested that theory in my third lapping session of the day. The track started off dry but the rain came pretty quickly about 10 minutes in. I was dicing with an instructor-caliber driver in a new-generation M4. As long as the track was dry, I couldn't close the gap, but the minute it was even the slightest bit shiny I saw that back end start wobbling every time he passed the apex. I started making up one car length per turn on the way out and before I knew it he was a small dot in the mirror. That's something the stat sheet can't tell you: Can you trust your throttle application on a wet surface? With the Lexus, the answer is "hell yes."

No test at Shendandoah is complete without mentioning the "ski jump." The RC F approaches this jump at well over 120 mph and goes four-wheels-up for half a second before touching down with what I have to say is the most luxurious body control I've ever experienced at that track. You can get on the brakes immediately if you want to, because there's no secondary bounce from the chassis. This is where the Lexus has it all over Mustangs and Corvettes, by the way. The same is true for the entrance to the concrete Carousel; you can enter at maybe 5mph more than you can in a Vette because the suspension control is so absolute.

Even with two extra passengers in the car, the RC F is a true thrill ride around a racetrack. True, the ESC is never fully off, but this is an $81,000 car and maybe it's worth it to have just that very last line of defense available between you and the concrete walls. It's possible to get the car pretty sideways, even in the wet, before the systems call time on the whole endeavor.

At the end of the day, I reviewed my video to get some laptimes. I don't like to compare times set across multiple months or years with widely varying track temperatures and whatnot, but I feel comfortable saying that the RC F neatly splits the lap-time gap between a C7 Z51 and a Mustang 5.0. With a proper manual transmission, the time would drop a bit, and the fun would go up. I'd be surprised if Lexus ever supplied the car that way, but if they did, that would elevate the RC F into the Pantheon of the all-time great dual-purpose daily-driver/track-car combinations.

I'm glad the RC F and I got a second chance. This time, the romance is definitely on. It's not quite as hardcore as the German competition, but the Trans Am was never quite a match for the IROC-Z around a racetrack, and I didn't care about that either. The Lexus is very good on a track and simply brilliant away from it. Call it the finest Japanese ponycar in history, and one that deserves a second look from you as well.
Old 05-30-16, 01:22 AM
Akrkwk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MODERATOR EDIT. Akrkwk please exit this thread. Your posts are off topic from the purpose of this thread; plenty of other threads with that debate. This one is about reviews

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-01-16 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:05 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by keithS
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...xus-rc-f-test/

BY JACK BARUTH

Even with two extra passengers in the car, the RC F is a true thrill ride around a racetrack. True, the ESC is never fully off, but this is an $81,000 car and maybe it's worth it to have just that very last line of defense available between you and the concrete walls. It's possible to get the car pretty sideways, even in the wet, before the systems call time on the whole endeavor.

At the end of the day, I reviewed my video to get some laptimes. I don't like to compare times set across multiple months or years with widely varying track temperatures and whatnot, but I feel comfortable saying that the RC F neatly splits the lap-time gap between a C7 Z51 and a Mustang 5.0. With a proper manual transmission, the time would drop a bit, and the fun would go up. I'd be surprised if Lexus ever supplied the car that way, but if they did, that would elevate the RC F into the Pantheon of the all-time great dual-purpose daily-driver/track-car combinations.

I'm glad the RC F and I got a second chance. This time, the romance is definitely on. It's not quite as hardcore as the German competition, but the Trans Am was never quite a match for the IROC-Z around a racetrack, and I didn't care about that either. The Lexus is very good on a track and simply brilliant away from it. Call it the finest Japanese ponycar in history, and one that deserves a second look from you as well.
This is one of the more insightful reviews that I have read to date.

Enjoy your RC Fs and life above 5,000 rpm!

BTW: I never drive the car without the torque converter locked.
Old 06-01-16, 08:34 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Autoevolution LFA v RCF v GSF

Lexus LFA vs RC F vs GS F Drifting Comparison by Ben Collins Is Downright Savage
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lexus-lfa-vs-rc-f-vs-gs-f-drifting-comparison-by-ben-collins-is-downright-savage-108099.html

Cool driving and footage. Screw that Jeremy whatever his last name is. Haha
Old 06-02-16, 12:10 AM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Lexus LFA vs RC F vs GS F Drifting Comparison by Ben Collins Is Downright Savage
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/le...ge-108099.html

Very cool. I've been waiting for good old Ben Collins to do something like this! He's finally showing what F is capable of
Old 06-02-16, 06:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Notice how he subliminally takes a shot at his former boss Jeremy Clarkson when he is driving the RCF and he turns the expert mode on. Essentially, implying Clarkson does not know how to drift the RCF.
Old 06-02-16, 08:34 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lexus-lfa-vs-rc-f-vs-gs-f-drifting-comparison-by-ben-collins-is-downright-savage-108099.html

Dig it. Great review and video.
Old 06-02-16, 06:13 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

B
Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Dig it. Great review and video.

Here ya go...LFA, RC F, and GS F.

Old 06-03-16, 05:03 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Weekly Driver: 2016 Lexus RC F: Luxury sports car rules the road

https://theweeklydriver.com/2016-lex...ar-rules-road/

James Raia June 2, 2016

Now in its second model year, the 2016 Lexus RC F is the third vehicle in the Toyota luxury brand’s performance-oriented lineup, and it has plenty to show for itself.

The Lexus RC F has aggressive styling, 19-inch wheels, quad exhaust tips and a carbon-fiber roof panel. The engine is a naturally aspirated 467-horsepower 5.0-liter V8. It has Brembo brakes, more aggressive suspension tuning and is rear-wheel drive.

While marketed as a four-passenger coupe, the rear seats, like on many sports cars, are best served by children or petite adults. With the driver’s seat adjusted for anyone, 5-foot-9 or taller, there’s little room leg room.

My test vehicle, which had a base price of $62,805, also had nearly $15,000 in options, including Navigation, Performance and Premium packages. While expensive and comprehensive, the packages add a lot to the vehicle, most notably the carbon fiber roof, the Mark Levinson sound system and a host to comfort and luxury item, heated and ventilated front seats to carbon-fiber interior trim.

Driving the Lexus RC F is a treat. It accelerates with authority, reaching the standard 0-60 mph plateau in 4.4 seconds. The steering is precise and maneuvering through traffic, around corners or on and off freeway ramps defines driving authority. The driver and the car mesh, and red seats and contrasting black interior further add to the car’s appeal.

The 2016 Lexus RC-F is the third in the Luxury Toyota brand's series of performance sports cars.

Further standard equipment is impressive: LED headlights, keyless ignition and entry, automatic climate control, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, auto-dimming mirror, a rearview camera, a 10-way power driver seat, an eight-way power passenger seat, driver memory settings, heated front seats and simulated leather upholstery.

The standard technology list is equally impressive: Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, a 7-inch display, a configurable multi-instrument display, voice commands and a 10-speaker sound system with satellite radio, HD radio, an auxiliary audio jack and a USB interface.

Likewise standard: the Lexus Enform Remote and Lexus Enform Service Connect. The technology allow, via smartphone, to remotely lock or unlock doors, start and stop the car and turn the climate control on or off. The latter feature can also find the vehicle, obtain status reports and receive maintenance alerts via email and push notifications.

Facts & Figures: 2016 Lexus RC F

Acceleration: 0-60 mph, 4.4 seconds.
Airbags: 8.
Fuel economy: 16 mpg (city), 25 mpg (highway), 19 mpg (combined), eight-speed automatic transmission (paddle shifters).
Horsepower: 467.
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $62,805.00
Manufacturer’s Web site: www.lexus.com.
Price As Tested: $77,905.00
Warranty: Bumper to bumper, 4 years/50,000 miles; Powertrain, 6 years/70,000 miles; Corrosion, 8 years/70,000 miles.

What Others Say:

“For those who think too much is just enough, the RC F takes an already aggressive-looking car to the extreme. The styling is wild, with a domed hood, a deeper grille, unique fascias, flared fenders, and ample cooling ducts.” — caranddriver.com.

“It only takes but a few minutes behind the wheel of an RC F to realize that it successfully represents Lexus as a brand that achieves not just raw performance, but a balance of luxury and technology with a focus on the overall experience as well.” — Forbes.com.

“The 2016 Lexus RC F’s V8 is a free-revving jewel that smoothly zings to redline and makes glorious sounds while doing so. Off-the-line grunt is respectable, while you’ll notice an increasingly insistent push in your back as the revs climb.” — Edmunds.com.

The Weekly Driver’s Final Words:

“Even non-sports car enthusiasts admire this car. And when that occurs, it only re-confirms what enthusiasts already know. The 2016 Lexus RC F is a fine automobile.”
Old 06-16-16, 04:27 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default Behind the wheel: 2016 Lexus RC F Sport Coupe

The beautifully styled RC F has a hint of muscle car

By Freddy Sherman

If you're looking for a serious, rear-wheel-drive, V8 sports coupe, with Japanese reliability and Lexus style, the 2016 Lexus RC F is the perfect car. This writer spent a week in the new 467 HP velvet monster and took it on a road trip from Los Angeles to the Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spa, just outside Palm Springs.

With an impeccably crafted interior that beautifully straddles the line between performance and luxury, the car is a pleasure to drive. The responsive 8-speed Sport Direct-Shift Transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters can be manually dominated for performance driving or just left alone for comfortable cruising. That's the major takeaway from spending a week in the RC F, it has that elusive Jekyll and Hyde personality that offers a true extreme at both ends. In the Eco mode, the car can approach 30 MPG with careful, controlled comfortable driving. In the Sport S+ mode you get exhilarating track-ready performance with a 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds and a top speed of 168 MPH.

The drive to and weekend getaway in Palm Springs offered a nice mix of driving situations, from bumper-to-bumper traffic on the freeway on a Friday afternoon, to around-town driving in Palm Springs. The return trip at night, offered nice stretches of empty freeway to explore the more performance aspects of the car, as did a brief detour to some of the area's deserted desert roads. The luxurious interior and comfortable ride provided the perfect transportation for some nice dinners in Rancho Mirage and shopping excursions were easily handled by the large sport-back and trunk space. Visibility is great in the car and it was certainly easy to maneuver in parking lots and curbside parking as well. A very positive reception by the resort's valet staff confirmed the car's coolness factor and popularity with gearheads.

The car
Part of the automaker's now legendary F Sport series, the RC F two-door sport coupe is about as close to the legendary Lexus LFA supercar as most buyers can get. With aggressive yet attractive exterior styling, the car is still a relatively rare sight on U.S. roads, adding to the ownership exclusivity. While the subtle RC F badging lets other drivers know this is a serious sports car, they will probably discover it from the throaty exhaust sound and the sight of the rear end disappearing into the distance as the car enjoys getting real close to its 7,300 RPM redline.

Inside, it's a beautiful, luxurious sports car experience with some of the coolest looking sports seats available in any car. And while looking cool, the seats are both supportive during spirited driving and comfortable for long-distance cruising, a combination hard to find in most racing-inspired sports seats.

The power
The front-mounted, 5.0L, 32 valve, V8 dual-overhead cam engine has both direct and port injection and variable valve timing. Especially in the two Sport modes, the naturally-aspirated engine provides a smooth, constant reserve of power. The power, 467 HP and 389 LB FT of torque, is never brutal and that's where you are reminded you're in a Lexus, not a V12 Aston-Martin or supercharged Jaguar F-Type R. Stopping is accomplished by Brembo-sourced brakes with huge, 14.9 inch slotted front rotors with six-piston, opposed calipers and 13.5 slotted rotors in the rear, both with high-friction pads. Everything is perfectly applied to the road via a very sensitive 8-speed automatic transmission with AI Shift Control. It has laser-fast shifts and cool technology like a g-force sensor that holds the lower gear when going into a curve. There's even an optional Torque Vectoring Differential that sends power to the rear wheels individually to help rotate the car in the direction of the turn.

The performance
The car has a wonderful balance and road feel, due in part of the incredible Lexus (and Toyota) race-proven technology that goes into the suspension and frame. Composites and carbon fiber are used on the body panels and other parts to increase strength and reduce weight. The thick steering wheel is very responsive and even the pedals are race-ready, metal with rubber inserts. Sitting in the high-backed F Spec sport seats and looking at the race-inspired digital gauges, it's a wonderful, immersive experience that you should find in a high performance sport coupe. In the sport modes, the combination of the large engine and track-ready transmission provide an excellent driving experience and skilled drivers can really get a lot of the car and suspension with amazing performance in both straight and slalom situations. This driver would like to see a super-version, perhaps with power approaching the track-only GT3 RC F which has 540 HP from a tuned version of the same V8. A similar boost in the torque to closer to 500 LB FT (from the 389 LB FT it currently produces) would also bring the car more in line with some of its much higher priced two-seat sport coupe competitors.

The price
The RC F has a list price of $62,805. The test car had the $1,500, 19-inch hand-polished 20-spoke forged alloy wheels, the $1,160 premium triple beam LED headlamps, the $800 leather-trimmed seats (well worth the price) and the $1,530 navigation, camera and Enform (Lexus' infotainment system) subscription. The beautiful Infrared red exterior paint added another $595 and the interior Premium Package with carbon fiber trim and the traffic and parking alerts added $3,240, with the last option being the $1,100 moonroof. A delivery, processing and handling fee of $940 brought the total to $73,670.

For that $74K, you get a front-engined serious sports coupe, with two small seats in the rear, along with bulletproof Lexus build quality, reliability and every luxury amenity available. Those shopping for a Corvette (only two seats), Jaguar (a six cylinder or a lot more money) and even Aston-Martin or Maserati ( both a lot more money) would be well-advised to drive the RC F before making a final decision.
Old 07-26-16, 07:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...n=awdailydrive

Lou
Old 07-26-16, 09:42 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Default 2016 Lexus RC-F review notes: A hot rod in a Japanese body

Originally Posted by flowrider
LEXUS SUPERCOUPE IS BOTH FLASHY AND DASHY

After going over my RC200t F-Sport notes, this full blown RC-F has all the same good things as that one, including the eye-piercing tangerine color. It also costs $80k, where the F-Sport only sets you back about $50,000, but we’ll get to that in a second.

The RC-F has the same love it or hate it look and great leather buckets as the F-Sport with lots of adjustment fore and aft, a cool LFA-inspired gauge cluster, a touchpad that takes some getting used to for infotainment and a bunch of buttoned-up and tightly gapped materials on the dash and armrest.

I love the super quick steering, and again I noticed it immediately after leaving our parking lot. This coupe can dart around with the best of them. Picking and shooting into expressway gaps is easy and nailing an apex, or as close as you can get to an apex on public roads, is nothing more than looking where you want to go, and letting the steering wheel follow your eyes. It has great steering wheel feel too...like, the actual perforated leather. It’s the right thickness and molds to your hand.

For some reason this car didn’t feel as stiff as the RC200t; I’m not sure why, but I took this as more luxury muscle cruiser or maybe even a grand tourer, where the 200t felt lighter, maybe quicker on its feet without that big V8 lump under the hood. But that’s this car’s piece de resistance, a growling, angry hunk of alloy with 32 valves and Yamaha-designed cylinder heads. We know what Yamaha can do with a car engine (see Taurus SHO), and this hammer doesn’t disappoint.

2016 Lexus RC-F

In sport plus, where I kept it most of the weekend, the RC-F has just the right amount of jump off the line. It’s not launch-control, snap-your-neck fast, but a little steeling of the guts is in order. It pulls smoothly and strongly up to its naturally-aspirated redline, and the exhaust opens up at about 4,000 rpm. I would have liked it at 3,000 or so, but that’s a small complaint. In sport plus, shifts are very quick, about as quick as you can get without a dual clutch transmission. If you shift at 5,000 or so you get a nice kick in small of your back. The only problem is that you can’t get through more than two or three gears without approaching arrest-me speeds, and, this being an orange Japanese rocket, the chances of that happening are high. The brakes are fine, medium stroke and weight. Overall the car doesn’t feel as heavy as a Hellcat, but it’s not a ballet dancer either. I did kick the traction control off at one point, but it seems to reengage when wheels start spinning. I didn’t try to turn it all the way off.

This RC-F sits in M4/C63/S5-RS5 territory, which might make the expensive-seeming price a little more palatable. The M4 starts at about $66,000, the C63 is $67k and this is $64,000 (starting MSRP). Obviously any of these cars can be optioned up to the price of our Lexus, so it’s still a matter of taste I suppose. The C63 comes with 451 hp at 3,924 pounds (8.7 pounds per horse), the M4 has 425 hp and 3,530 pounds (8.3 pph) and this Lexus has a power to weight, or weight-to-power of 8.5, so the M4 should feel the fastest. I’d still say it’s also the most track focused, though I haven’t driven the C63 in a while.

Again, this feels like a rock-solid, muscled grand tourer, so if that’s what you’re looking for, the RC-F won’t disappoint.

-- Jake Lingeman, road test editor

2016 Lexus RC-F

Options: performance package including carbon fiber roof, carbon rear wing and torque vectoring rear differential ($5,500); premium package including heated/ventilated front seats with driver seat memory, carbon fiber interior trim, blind spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, intuitive park assist, rain-sensing wipers; auto-dimming mirrors with meory reverse tilt and steering memory ($3,240); navigation/mark levinson package including audio 5.1 surround, 17-speakers, 835-watts, navigation-backup camera, remote touchpad controller, 7 inch multi-media display, DVD player, Lexus Enform Destinations, App Suite, voice command and Lexus Insider ($2,610); 19 inch hand polished 20-spoke forge alloy wheels ($1,500); premium triple beam LED headlamps ($1,160); leather trimmed interior seats ($800); pre-collision system with radar cruise control ($500); orange brake calipers ($300)
Old 08-29-16, 07:47 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Automotive guide review 2016 model

Nothing new here. But overall positive. I think the lens under what car reviewers have shifted. "Less this ain't no LFA" comparison.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread