RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

It Has Been a Great 5 Days

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-14, 07:45 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It Has Been a Great 5 Days

Picked up my 2015 RC F on Thursday of last week. As far as I've been told I was the 1st person in NJ to take delivery of the car.

The car is Ultra White, Red Interior, 19" 10-spoke Forged Wheels, Leather Trimmed Interior, NAV, Premium Package, Sunroof.

I went back and forth over the ML system and the TVD. I have to say that the standard stereo is beyond adequate. The interior is snug and, after setting the sound levels appropriately, the system sounds great.

As for the TVD, I don't track cars and I have had a TVD in both an Audi RS5 and a 2015 Corvette Z51. In the Audi it was the only thing offered, in the C7 it was part of the Z51 package. I do understand the benefits very clearly, but after driving the RC F with the Torsen rear, it was an easy decision to go ahead without TVD. The money saved went to leather, sunroof, and wheels.

The car is amazing, I traded the vette for the RC F, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It definitely has multiple personalities as you switch through the drive modes. The suspension is spot on, both for everyday driving and spirited runs. The build quality is great, except the occasional brake squeal due to the high friction pads (which is common and occurs with most high performance systems). I have received nonstop positive commentary from everyone who has seen the car.

For those of you that have been comparing the RC F to the C7, M4, and RS5, here is the honest truth:

C7 - The Vette is a true sports car, way past the level of the the Lexus, or the other cars mentioned. It is more raw, visceral, and involving. You have to drive the car or else you can get hurt. It's louder, stiffer, less refined (but still beautiful) and very purpose built. The comparison is like apples and oranges.

RS5- the only advantage with the Audi is Quattro. Thats it. The RC F feels "better" and more balanced. Both cars are put together well, but the audi still had rattles and creaks. The seats in the Lexus are so far ahead of Audi, the exhaust notes are both great but power delivery in the Lexus is more manageable. The Lexus is also more involving. I really don't think that the RS5 stands up well to BMW or Lexus in this category anymore.

M4 - The M4 is more athletic feeling, but with absolutely no steering feel. The immediate response of the turbos makes the M4 feel substantially faster than the Lexus. But the M4 is very artificial, The engine and exhaust notes are synthesized, the steering is artificial, etc... But the car is fast!!! It handles very well. It's comfortable and familiar. It really is a toss up between the two.

I chose the Lexus because it will be more rare, it seems to be the best of all worlds comparing the competition. Its easy to live with everyday and it is easy to push the car without the feeling of impending trouble.

I'm sure the reliability will be far superior to the other cars as well.

I'm thrilled to be in the Club.
Old 11-17-14, 07:51 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

This thread is pointless without pics! Congrats on the pick up. I agree, the M4 and RC-F are closely matched. It really comes down to personal preference on style, FI vs NA, etc.
Old 11-17-14, 07:52 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

First and foremost, welcome to ClubLexus. It sounds like you've made the right decision - you will be happy with Lexus service and reliability for years to come!

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the vehicle, would you?
Old 11-17-14, 07:54 AM
chilipalm
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate you east and west coasters. Seems like you guys are getting them first.
Old 11-17-14, 08:24 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for writing up such a thoughtful comparison. Coming from an owner it is much more meaningful. Agree with you on TVD
Old 11-17-14, 09:42 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write-up. I do like the looks of the M4 and the RS5, but I'd never cross over to the dark side. Still only 2 years into my IS F, so I'll wait a bit. But RC F for me all the way.
Old 11-17-14, 09:42 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You for that Comparo. I was on the fence to buy a C7. I bought an 05 C6 and liked the car well enough but the first year jitters and being new to the brand (IE not trusting GM) caused me to make the move to sell it and my bike and get a warrantied C7, Drove to Criswells and Kerbecks in NJ saw every color. Test rode one and came home sold the 05 for $500 less than I paid, However the Bike did not sell and i was not going to wholesale it because i still enjoy riding,

So After selling the 05 I was in Limbo and saw the RC350 for the first time and liked what Lexus did. My closest Lexus dealer is 100 miles away so that put a little damper on it, but I had an Infiniti an although the service was also 100 miles away, they always gave me a car to drive home. I suspect Lexus would do the same.

I decided after reading the C7 forums and the list of issues (Car and Driver lunched an engine and a few new owners did the same at stoplights) . GM's reaction to these issues and others was not something I could live with and I decided I could not wrap my head around a $70k GM vehicle and the local

Chevy service is suspect here at best even when paying for services. (except for one dealer 30 miles away who generously sports a $75 an hour labor rate) Sooo I have a bike, leased a CRV for 36 when I bought the Vette for an errand/inclement weather runner. So I did not want to buy a Coupe just yet, I still wanted a two seat roadster convertible until my lease was up.

I spied a great deal on an 08 Vette with 15K miles privately (that is how I buy and especially sell 80% of my cars)
I bought it and saw the new and much improved 2016 Mazda MX5 release and decided to drive the Vette until The MX5 was on the streets and pick one up until the CRV lease is up THEN sell everything and buy the RC350 either privately or Certified.

I am not in the game for performance obviously I just wanted a RWD convertible at around $30K. The Vette and the MX5 will fit that bill. I will sit back and watch the RC as it evolves and am going to look at one next week while I am in Charleston at the VA.

I have my 08 for sale and my bike. Both at high prices just in case I hook a fish. IF they sell It will be a tough decision to WAIT for the MX5 or buy the RC but the Honda CRV would be useless with the RC. I would use the RC in the rain and for errands as it would b an daily driver for me and I would not need the CRV .

So I will probably stick to my plan and buy the MX5 and enjoy that little roadster until my lease is up.

But yeah the C7 would have been a mistake for me. I have no Desire for one. The more I looked at it, the more it looks like a Transformer car. The RC is a classy car and Lexus is much better made than any GM vehicle. Maybe I will pick up a certified RC in the mid thirties when I am ready or find a great private sale. Down here tax is only $300 on a car so trading has zero advantage,

I will continue to lurk this forum for tidbits and reviews, Congrats to the OP on his new RC.
Old 11-17-14, 09:46 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase.. Great choice over M4..
Old 11-17-14, 09:58 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a great write up and congrats on the new car.....
Old 11-17-14, 09:59 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Congrats on your new purchase.. Great choice over M4..
Ditto here...and thanks for sharing the experience. I am anxious to take my carbon TVD delivery in March/April.
Old 11-17-14, 10:20 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the Purchase as LO 21 said RC-F all the way....
Old 11-17-14, 10:32 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting up your review, im sure it will help a lot of other members out. Congrats and welcome to the forums bro!
Old 11-17-14, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

welcome and congrats. well balanced review!