Old 11-25-14, 01:35 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 11-25-14, 01:53 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Stopped by the SF Auto Show at Moscone Center today and made a b-line for the Lexus stand.

The car itself:
- USB 2.0 is indeed quite different from the USB on NX and RC. It's spectacular up close, and as with most multi-coat paint jobs, it changes depending on lighting. As you walk the length of the car, the shades and tones change. Any doubts I had about my color choice have been completely put to bed, now that I've seen it in person and spent some quality time.
- These wheels that we all love to hate actually aren't bad in person. Still not my first choice, but entirely respectable. Lots more dimensionality to them than shows up in pics. Still waiting to see the standard wheels in the flesh.
- The grill surround trim is indeed a darker smoky color, not bright chrome. Looks really hot.
- Aside from the obvious engine and technology advancements, it's really the fit, finish, and materials that really set this car apart. I still haven't driven one, but after my experiences with GS F Sport and IS F, I expect to be blown away

Special order status:
- Lexus rep (without prompting) said that my special order should be coming in February time-frame, based on the options I ordered. I take that with a grain of salt, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. At least he knew more than your average rep. He confirmed that cars with the carbon fiber roof will take longer. We've heard that same thing on this forum too.

Other cars that sparked my interest:
- Cadillac CTS V Sport. Actually very appealing, if you're willing to buy a Caddy. May be a really interesting comparison. I would seriously consider this car if we didn't know that the GS F is coming next year.
- ATS-V sedan. Looked cartoonish and ridiculous. I'm sorry, it may have amazing stats, but I'd be embarrassed to drive it. And this one was black, so I can't imagine driving an orange, red, or yellow one around town. The regular ATS coupe looked more attractive.
- Mustang GT. Gorgeous in Guard Metallic (From Edmunds.com: "Guard is more of a charcoal shade with subtle green undertones that should really pop in bright light.") Really a huge step up from previous generation. I would be interested in driving this to see just how well sorted out it is on the road. A serious contender, and probably best bang for the buck.
- Jaguar F Type R. It's just so expensive for what it is. Personally, I don't think it has that much personality and it's compromised. For example, the footwell is really cramped. You can barely wedge your foot in to meet the accelerator. Not for me. Not at that price.
- Audi S6. Sublime inside and out. Felt special, like the RC F.

...Hope this was fun for you. I had a blast.
Old 11-25-14, 02:08 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Thank You for sharing..

Love that blue..
Old 11-25-14, 02:17 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Old 11-27-14, 09:10 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice write up and video. I will be there tomorrow to check it out.
Old 11-28-14, 01:00 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Very nice write up and video. I will be there tomorrow to check it out.
Thanks. So what did you think?
Old 11-30-14, 05:31 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Thanks. So what did you think?
I liked it a lot. I can see this as my next car next to the ISF........

The wheels must go, but that's easy. Maybe take out the back seats, some headers/mid intake pipe, that's about it.

I like the blue, I wanted a USB ISF but that didn't happen, not that I regret it, but this car looks good.

I got some years to go until I get this, I wonder if they will introduce any changes.

All in all, very impressive.

Did you order this color? I like the white as well.
Old 11-30-14, 06:30 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Cool that you liked it. I did order the USB 2.0. I feel forced to because no matter what color you order, the "signature" accents and stitching remain blue.

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I liked it a lot. I can see this as my next car next to the ISF........

The wheels must go, but that's easy. Maybe take out the back seats, some headers/mid intake pipe, that's about it.

I like the blue, I wanted a USB ISF but that didn't happen, not that I regret it, but this car looks good.

I got some years to go until I get this, I wonder if they will introduce any changes.

All in all, very impressive.

Did you order this color? I like the white as well.
Old 12-20-14, 12:39 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Wheels

My car (the 1st car to come in to Fremont CA) came in the second week of Nov. I was told it had the buzz saw wheel option on it (which is what I wanted) & when it came it had the same wheels as this car. I was pissed and ready to reject the car as the pictures of these wheels suck. I had bailed on the deal (car came off the truck @ 11:00 am - at 4:00pm my sales guy (Gabe - a great guy) sent me some close ups of the wheels at different angles and they didn't look that bad) so I decided to go to the dealer @ 6:00 pm at just take a look - by 7:30 I was driving home - these wheel do not photograph well at all & look much better in real life. The people who have seen the car really like them !

Last edited by cardoc1; 12-20-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:11 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cardoc1
My car (the 1st car to come in to Fremont CA) came in the second week of Nov. I was told it had the buzz saw wheel option on it (which is what I wanted) & when it came it had the same wheels as this car. I was pissed and ready to reject the car as the pictures of these wheels suck. I had bailed on the deal (car came off the truck @ 11:00 am - at 4:00pm my sales guy (Gabe - a great guy) sent me some close ups of the wheels at different angles and they didn't look that bad) so I decided to go to the dealer @ 6:00 pm at just take a look - by 7:30 I was driving home - these wheel do not photograph well at all & look much better in real life. The people who have seen the car really like them !
Gabe called me to look at the car. I believe he had called you while I was there. I don't want the moon roof, myself. Your car's exhaust sounded very healthy while the tech was downloading stuff to the car's computer. My order is supposed to take about four months before delivery. Definition of eternity.
Old 12-21-14, 05:50 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your car. I can't believe they didn't "black" the tires for display. The car would look so much better. And I understand eternity. My car is not due until March
Old 12-21-14, 11:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cardoc1
Buzz saw was a name made up here on CL.. LoL

For others now looking at build sheets or cars coming from Japan..

Here are the 3 listed BBS wheel options, names, codes & prices..

Joe Z
Old 12-21-14, 12:00 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Default Yep That’s The Pictures I Saw !

Looking at the wheel pictures of the three options I had to call the dealer to tell them my car had the wrong wheels per the code and the build sheet - I was ready to bail until Gabe sent me very detailed pictures - they really don't look like the pictures show - they look much better in person (much more depth) - look at the picture of the red RCF in the RCF's Spotted post. This is a more accurate picture how they look !

Last edited by cardoc1; 12-21-14 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 12:06 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Default gs400jon -

Very cool - small world eh !