RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How's the audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 05:49 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the audio system?

I ordered my RCF sight unseen and no test drive. It's due in March. Just curious to those who are already having fun with their new car---how good is the sound system? I did not opt for the Mark Levinson system, but I see the standard system consists of 10 speakers with a 10" Subwoofer. On paper, it should sound good.
Old 12-11-14, 06:27 AM
RetroGamerJP
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ML in my 08 ISF and loved it, mainly because it was the only way to get the DVD player... i do not have the ML in the RC-F but the sound is still excellent. I've not heard the ML on the new models but I do not feel like I am missing out in any way. I'm sure ML does sound even better but non-ML more than gets it done.
Old 12-11-14, 07:45 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Cool--glad to hear that---I'm a big music lover. My current car is a 2013 Accord cp V6 and although it came with their "premium sound system", it didn't cut it for me. I upgraded the speakers within the first 2 weeks of ownership. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-11-14, 07:57 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

My 2012 Tacoma has the JBL audio system and it sounds great. My FRS has $2,700 worth of JL Audio upgrades and it sounds great. But ... My wife's 2014 AWD IS 350 F Sport has the Mark Levinson system, and it is on an entirely different level. It reminds me of strapping on a high end set of headphones. I ordered my RC F with the ML system.
Old 12-11-14, 08:40 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

I did the ML on mine when I ordered it, have not heard it yet but for 1k+- and not having to cut into my car it was worth it. I think I posted a thread here as well about if it's worth it.
Old 12-11-14, 08:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cutting into your car and trying to upgrade 17 speakers, amp, interfacing with head unit, etc
Old 12-11-14, 09:07 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
cutting into your car and trying to upgrade 17 speakers, amp, interfacing with head unit, etc
Good point that's why I went with the higher end system, also I have done after market before and having a shop fix issues / rattles is a pia. At least with the ML I am sure they do that in-house and address it before it ships.
Old 12-12-14, 07:31 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't get the ML either and I'm not disappointed in the base system.

The ML is awesome but overkill for the small interior of this car.
Old 12-12-14, 08:50 AM
RDKohler
Rookie

I've had ML in my past 5 cars. Didn't get it with the RC and don't miss it.
Old 12-12-14, 08:58 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The ML in my ISF is lacking in bass and in my opinion not worth the extra dollars.It has never wowed me nor any of my passengers.
Old 12-12-14, 09:29 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Reading the responses in this thread makes me scratch my head a bit. The only conclusion that I can draw is that there are quite a number of people who listen to base thumping rap and don't really care about overall sound quality. Comparing the standard sound system from our previous 2012 IS350 to the ML in the 2014 is night and day. As I stated earlier the sound quality of the ML compared to the JBL and JL Audio systems I currently have is night and day.

If you are looking for great sound quality with crisp base, the ML is exceptional.

If you are looking for rap thumping base, I would build your own system.
Old 12-12-14, 11:40 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I am not sure about ML in RCF but I can speak of my 3IS ML system. In my honest opinion ML does live up to the hype. I expected something truly amazing but the system sounds mediocre. OP, you are welcome to scan IS Third Generation sub forum and most owners there share my opinion.
RCF has 17 speakers. 3IS has 15 speakers. But I am assuming the quality is about same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ewer-ml-s.html
Old 12-12-14, 11:52 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking All about that bass

My ML system in the RCF is awesome thanks for asking Especially when I roll down the street windows down bassing out to Meghan Trainor

Cuz I want people to know that my ML system is "All About that Bass" LOL JK!

Ahem, okay now back to getting serious. Another concerned shopper/owner was contemplating if he should stick to the standard 10 speaker system or pay the extra to upgrade to the 17 speaker ML system. Or take the difference he would of paid for the ML system and add that to improving the standard audio system. Here is the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-or-not-2.html

I love the ML system in the RCF, just as much as the 14' LX570. The sound is on point, the highs are crisp, the mid is clear, and the bass is punchy. Now if you are a bass head/freak and want to add more thump in the trunk or have intentions of changing out your audio system already, maybe the standard option is your way to go. If there is anything I would want to change or add to the ML system, it would be more bass. So I have future plans on adding a class D amp, single 10" subwoofer in a custom fiberglass enclosure, to give the sound more low end. Best of luck to you and congrats in advance bro!
Old 12-12-14, 11:57 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I am not sure about ML in RCF but I can speak of my 3IS ML system. In my honest opinion ML does live up to the hype. I expected something truly amazing but the system sounds mediocre. OP, you are welcome to scan IS Third Generation sub forum and most owners there share my opinion.
RCF has 17 speakers. 3IS has 15 speakers. But I am assuming the quality is about same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ewer-ml-s.html
Did you go looking for a thread that trashes on the ML system? Here is the first one I found:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-levinson.html

A little different perspective. Sometimes I wonder if people subscribe from other manufacturers just to try and trash the competition.
Old 12-12-14, 12:47 PM
BAlbright
Driver

Hmm ...a lot of interesting comments. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. I sold Acuras for 16 years and I'm very familiar with the ELS system in the TL. A pretty decent sounding system...and one poster felt the standard system sounded better than the TL system. That's encouraging. And, so much of a car's sound is dependent on how you balance it out..especially with the fader and the right amount of bass/treble

Quick Reply: How's the audio system?