RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Has RC-F TVD actually been measured in any way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 09:56 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The video is a nice find...thanks!
Old 02-04-15, 11:31 AM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I wanted to see this explained by a Lexus engineer [In Japanese ], but at least we can see the bare metal components ... thanks for the share!
Old 02-05-15, 09:33 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just so everyone knows…. The replacement retail cost for the complete TVD unit is $25k. The only replacement parts available at this time appear to be the control motors, seals, sensors, the rear cover, along with bolts and plugs. No clutches or gears. Might not be a bad idea to add a cooler and filter if one plans to regularly use the car to its fullest at the track. There are temperature sensors for each clutch pack, so I'll assume the ecu will shut down the torque vectoring to prevent damage.
Old 02-05-15, 09:46 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jowett
Just so everyone knows…. The replacement retail cost for the complete TVD unit is $25k. The only replacement parts available at this time appear to be the control motors, seals, sensors, the rear cover, along with bolts and plugs. No clutches or gears. Might not be a bad idea to add a cooler and filter if one plans to regularly use the car to its fullest at the track. There are temperature sensors for each clutch pack, so I'll assume the ecu will shut down the torque vectoring to prevent damage.
The master mechanic at Lexus also quoted me $25k for complete replacement.

The TVD was aggressively track tested at Nurburgring and Fuji International, so I would not worry about its ability to hold up under stress. After all, that's why many of us are buying the Lexus.

I suspect if the clutch pack and or gears required warranty replacement, one would show up relatively quickly from the factory. Over the years, my Lexus dealership and their inforce support logistics have served me well.
Old 02-05-15, 10:24 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Very true, that is a large reason why most of us are into the Toyota/Lexus brand. There is little doubt that this diff is spec'd to very high standards. Perhaps measuring the diff temperature as the unit operates would be prudent.
Old 02-05-15, 10:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Is there a service interval for the TVD. Change the fluid out more frequent than what the manual recommends maybe
Old 02-05-15, 11:51 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true, that is a large reason why most of us are into the Toyota/Lexus brand. There is little doubt that this diff is spec'd to very high standards. Perhaps measuring the diff temperature as the unit operates would be prudent.

If it has a clutch then it will need service. I know the standard different calls for a fluid change. Also if you add power or different wheels will this cause issues with the tvd. Would hate to do aftermarket wheels and have a tvd issue and lexus say it's the wheels.
Old 02-05-15, 12:08 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Just so everyone knows…. The replacement retail cost for the complete TVD unit is $25k.
Originally Posted by ISF001
The master mechanic at Lexus also quoted me $25k for complete replacement.
I was in disbelief when I read this price quote so I did some digging around and I managed to find the TVD listed on the Sewell website (which was actually hidden because the RC-F parts section is not fully complete yet): http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...-RCF-2015.html

It appears that the MSRP for a full TVD unit is actually a bit higher than the estimated $25k!

Last edited by redspencer; 02-05-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 12:18 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redspencer
I was in disbelief when I read this price quote so I did some digging around and I managed to find the TVD listed on the Sewell website (which was actually hidden because the RC-F parts section is not fully complete yet): http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...-RCF-2015.html

It appears that the MSRP for a full TVD unit is actually a bit higher than the estimated $25k!

That's reason enough to skip it, I can see it burning up on the track and Lexus not waiting to cover it, or if you put 20 inch wheels or a catback.
Old 02-05-15, 01:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

18.7k with CL discount!

Honestly it might be a placeholder price. The engine is 21.5k with CL discount. Cant see this thing being worth almost as much as the engine itself. Especially when it cost $1750 when TVD was available separate.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...-RCF-2015.html

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-05-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 04:58 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
If it has a clutch then it will need service. I know the standard different calls for a fluid change. Also if you add power or different wheels will this cause issues with the tvd. Would hate to do aftermarket wheels and have a tvd issue and lexus say it's the wheels.
There will be torque transfer module fluid changes to optimize longevity and performance. I do not know the frequency.
Old 02-05-15, 05:32 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

There will be torque transfer module fluid changes to optimize longevity and performance. I do not know the frequency.
Looking over the owners manual it looks like it's every 60k, same as the standard diff. I just know in the past with the Mitsu Evo and GTR when the tyranny's have issues and it's 10-20k then they start looking for ways not to pay, I am not sure if this is the same with Lexus but I am going off the past.
Old 02-05-15, 06:24 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Looking over the owners manual it looks like it's every 60k, same as the standard diff. I just know in the past with the Mitsu Evo and GTR when the tyranny's have issues and it's 10-20k then they start looking for ways not to pay, I am not sure if this is the same with Lexus but I am going off the past.
Thanks. I did not find anything for clutch pack maintenance.
Old 02-06-15, 08:50 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Thanks. I did not find anything for clutch pack maintenance.

Me either, I have yet to see a clutch that needs no maintenance.

Scheduled Maintenance Log 55

60k Service

❑ Replace engine air filter
❑ Replace rear differential oil (vehicle without TVD)*
❑ Replace Smart Key battery
❑ Replace spark plugs1
❑ Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
❑ Check installation of driver’s floor mat
❑ Road-test vehicle

It's under the inspect list. I would still think it needs to be changed as often.

Rear differential oil (vehicle with TVD)*
Old 02-10-15, 04:40 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Some nice pictures in this blog… same stuff as the video.

http://club4ag.com/lexus-rc-f-equipp...ar-drivetrain/

Quick Reply: Has RC-F TVD actually been measured in any way?