RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brakes Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 10:22 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
See this is what I love about car forums, you get that piece of mind from somebody else and then you just feel good about the purchase. Then again it's a double edge sword, you see others starting to mod and that just gets you in trouble with the wife. I'm going to try and hold off as long as possible before modding, but that will definitely be hard.

Did you repaint your brake calipers and have them paint on the Brembo name? I never understood why Lexus branded them with their logo, even though they are Brembo. They just want there name everywhere on the car, and I get that but give credit where it's due. In my opinion, showing they are Brembo makes Lexus look better than putting their own name.
Z, i had my Body Shop guy put the Brake Pads on & paint the Calipers & i ordered the Decals off of ebay. When you get ready to do it just let me know & i'll get you the numbers for the ones i ordered.
Old 10-25-15, 11:28 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I've read somewhere that Lexus is offering OEM ceramic pads for FREE if you ask for them (you need to sign a waiver that they're not for tracking.. but neither the Carbotech 1521s). And they'd be OEM, warranted, and with proper backing plates, wear sensor brackets, etc. Call your dealer and let us know, to see if that's true or not. Good luck.
Old 10-26-15, 09:28 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Squeaky brakes are part and parcel of having awesome braking power. My 997 GT3 brakes squeaked. So did the E46 M3 back in the day and those brakes were nowhere near as quality as the RCF units.

You start going to lower dust brake pads and the like... you take something else away. It's all about your priorities. I love that Toyota stuck Lexus on the calipers and not brembo. Porsche does the same thing. Lexus is a proud brand with immense reach. Keep going.
Old 10-26-15, 10:04 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by ROK
Squeaky brakes are part and parcel of having awesome braking power. My 997 GT3 brakes squeaked. So did the E46 M3 back in the day and those brakes were nowhere near as quality as the RCF units.

You start going to lower dust brake pads and the like... you take something else away. It's all about your priorities. I love that Toyota stuck Lexus on the calipers and not brembo. Porsche does the same thing. Lexus is a proud brand with immense reach. Keep going.
So you're sayin' just live with the Squealing & Brake Dust just because it's got Lexus on it? Sorry, but i'm not fond of cleaning my wheels everyday that i drive it & when you're pulling up in the Parking Lot & everybody's outside looking at your Beautiful 70k+ Car & THEN you go to Stop & it starts Squealing, THAT is just Embarrassing to say the least. What you going to say, well they're Hi-Performance Brakes they're Suppose to Squeal I got the Carbotech & you CANNOT tell ANY Difference in the Stopping power of Everyday Driving.
Old 10-31-15, 04:20 PM
RCFun
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Pad replacement

I went in to get my 1,000 mile service (I'm at 1,200). I've been having a pretty bad brake squeal from 3 wheels. I mentioned it and said "and they're may be a TSB for it". I left the car, they called me 3 hours later to say that they have ordered a new brake kit, 3 days to get it from Lexus, with different pads, $640 front kit, $450 rear kit, all under warranty.

I go back next week to get them installed when the kit arrives.
Old 10-31-15, 06:22 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by RCFun
I went in to get my 1,000 mile service (I'm at 1,200). I've been having a pretty bad brake squeal from 3 wheels. I mentioned it and said "and they're may be a TSB for it". I left the car, they called me 3 hours later to say that they have ordered a new brake kit, 3 days to get it from Lexus, with different pads, $640 front kit, $450 rear kit, all under warranty.

I go back next week to get them installed when the kit arrives.
So, you've got to Pay $1,100 to replace them so it's still under warranty? I thought somebody on here said that Lexus was looking into this issue with the squealing & was suppose to change them out @ NO Cost, but you had to sign a waiver?
Old 10-31-15, 07:54 PM
RCFun
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
So, you've got to Pay $1,100 to replace them so it's still under warranty? I thought somebody on here said that Lexus was looking into this issue with the squealing & was suppose to change them out @ NO Cost, but you had to sign a waiver?

No no, Sorry I wasn't clear. I just wanted to state the retail cost of the pads that they told me. Its is FREE and covered under warranty. Service manager confirmed there was a TSB for the brakes.
Old 10-31-15, 10:17 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

No no, Sorry I wasn't clear. I just wanted to state the retail cost of the pads that they told me. Its is FREE and covered under warranty. Service manager confirmed there was a TSB for the brakes.
Did you Happen to ask them IF these would Help with the Brake Dust The Squeeling is Bad, but the Brake Dust is HORRIBLE also, did you have to sign a Waiver?
Old 11-01-15, 05:02 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you Happen to ask them IF these would Help with the Brake Dust The Squeeling is Bad, but the Brake Dust is HORRIBLE also, did you have to sign a Waiver?
My dealer said that the replacements were NOT low dust, MAY reduce squeeking and would not provide as much stopping performance. No mention of the Wavier, but when I heard not low dust I said forget it. My pads on squeel intermittently and they still offered to replace them. They also knew I had tracked the car and that I would not retrack the car without front adjustable camber rods and a set of tracking only and wheels. I decided to let my current pads wear and maybe try Carbotech next time. So for me, more Somax wheel clearer and get out the power washer more often.
Old 11-01-15, 02:20 PM
RCFun
Pit Crew

I have not been asked to sign a waiver (but I didn't get the install done yet - Thursday). The parts are part numbers 04465-0w200, and 04466-0w080.

I'd love to hear from someone that has these as to how actually different the stopping power is. There seems to be a lot of opinion but no one that has had this work done yet.
Old 11-01-15, 06:22 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

I have not been asked to sign a waiver (but I didn't get the install done yet - Thursday). The parts are part numbers 04465-0w200, and 04466-0w080.

I'd love to hear from someone that has these as to how actually different the stopping power is. There seems to be a lot of opinion but no one that has had this work done yet.
I went with the CarboTech's & Love them, NO Squealing & Very LITTLE Brake Dust I did call my Dealership before i did this & they said the Only Pads they would replace the OEM's with was other Lexus Brand Pads & what's the Purpose of doing that? GL let us know how you like them, but if they're still as Bad with the Dust i wouldn't have them. jmo!
Old 11-01-15, 06:25 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by rjmalm
My dealer said that the replacements were NOT low dust, MAY reduce squeeking and would not provide as much stopping performance. No mention of the Wavier, but when I heard not low dust I said forget it. My pads on squeel intermittently and they still offered to replace them. They also knew I had tracked the car and that I would not retrack the car without front adjustable camber rods and a set of tracking only and wheels. I decided to let my current pads wear and maybe try Carbotech next time. So for me, more Somax wheel clearer and get out the power washer more often.
Thanks rj, yeah to me the Dust was just as Bad as the Squealing & i didn't want EITHER you know that CarboTech Does have a set if you do track your car. I went with the other ones since i won't be tracking it, but i have been very Happy with the No Squealing & Very Little Dust
Old 11-07-15, 04:56 PM
RCFun
Pit Crew

Default **update**

I got my car back from the dealer Thursday with the new brake pads mentioned above. So far, I have not heard a single squeal and the brake dust seems less that before. I have not noticed any degraded performance during normal driving so far. I'm 100 miles into them, and will keep you posted!
Old 11-08-15, 12:37 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I got my car back from the dealer Thursday with the new brake pads mentioned above. So far, I have not heard a single squeal and the brake dust seems less that before. I have not noticed any degraded performance during normal driving so far. I'm 100 miles into them, and will keep you posted!
Excellent news man. Keep us posted when you have a few more hundred miles. I'm not bothered by the minimal squeal, to be honest. But the dust is just insane. Didn't want to consider changing the pads because brake feel and performance is just fantastic with the stock pads. But if you can't feel a difference, and brake dust is significantly less, might consider that option. I won't track my car, so no issue 'downgrading' to ceramic pads. And the rotors should last longer. What was mind boggling was Lexus putting track pads on this car with only DOT3 fluid. Please keep us posted, and thank you for that update.