RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Chirping Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15 | 07:27 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

So the dealer sent my bad fuel pump back to Japan...only problem is that there isn't another pump in the US. Lexus had not sent this part over yet.
My dealer gets told from Lexus Japan, 'We can get one you in about a month'
After much debate it will arrive next week possibly. The dealer was also told another RCF is waiting in service with a bad fuel pump as well somewhere in the US.

So off I to roam in beautiful jellybean RX.
Old 12-03-15 | 05:06 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Did anyone find a resolution to this chirping noise? I just noticed it today driving in my parking garage. Thank you.
Old 12-04-15 | 05:00 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Did anyone find a resolution to this chirping noise? I just noticed it today driving in my parking garage. Thank you.
Wouldn't get too worked up about a noise. Lol, I thought I heard a chirping type noise while in my garage when I first got mine and read this thread. That was 16,000 miles ago and not one hiccup since.
Old 12-04-15 | 05:52 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DougHII
Wouldn't get too worked up about a noise. Lol, I thought I heard a chirping type noise while in my garage when I first got mine and read this thread. That was 16,000 miles ago and not one hiccup since.
It's not about being "worked up" by any one of us. It's wanting to know why a v8 makes this unusual and unpleasant noise at idle. My question remains. Thx.
Old 12-04-15 | 12:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
My hummimg noise required the dismantling on my fuel pump and 'debris' was found in it.
The RC-F has THREE fuel pumps folks. One port-injection and 2 direct-injection. I assume yours was the PI inside the fuel tank, correct?

About the chirping noise, the reason this car supposedly has 3 pumps is to use the quieter PI one at idle and off-idle rpm. If the DI ones are working at idle, guess the only reason for the PI pump's existence is to avoid carbon build-up by spraying fuel at the ports and cleaning intake valves from oil. And boy, is that needed on this car that gulps oil thru the intake (bad PCV design) when driven aggessively. Will check if my car makes the chirping noise at idle, but probably does. All my other DI cars do, although not as bad as the 2 videos above.
Old 12-04-15 | 02:00 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll gladly take this chirping noise over carbon build up that plagues vw motors that include their Audi rs engines.

It's still annoying but nothing I can't drown out with the mark levinson. I just want to know that it is par for course. If there is a fix I'll take it in to the dealership.
Old 12-04-15 | 09:40 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
I have a different loud sound. It is a loud humming.
it comes from the area in front of the rear driver side wheel. It is mostly coming from the rear seat behind the driver.
it actually hums for a few seconds after the car is turned off. It was on the rack and the tech said he thought it was the fuel pump. There are no bulletins and Lexus techs were scratching their heads. They made a video audio tape to send to Lexus and gave me the car back.
I will keep everyone updated on what is uncovered.
I had the humming noise in my RCF which went away to be followed by the whirring noise some have reported. The dealer replaced my fuel pump. This was at 4,400 miles on the car. Within a few hundred miles, on two occasions I heard the humming sound like Dbcooper noted. One time it was fairly loud, another time much more subdued. In the 100 miles since I last heard the humming noise! I cannot replicate the sound, yet. I am hoping it is not the fuel pump as I only have 700 miles on the new pump. The dealer tech said the sound "may be" the emissions system equalizing or relieving pressure in the gas tank, but unless he hears the noise, he cannot be sure what it is or if it is normal or a problem.
Old 01-10-20 | 11:19 AM
SWeatherly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll gladly take this chirping noise over carbon build up that plagues vw motors that include their Audi rs engines.

It's still annoying but nothing I can't drown out with the mark levinson. I just want to know that it is par for course. If there is a fix I'll take it in to the dealership.
Hi, I'm having the same issue with that exact chirping noise. Did anyone get a definitive answer from Lexus on what exactly corrects the noise? Was anyone's noise actually corrected or did it just go away? I think my dealer may be stumped.. I also don't want to have an issue when the vehicle is out of warranty. Any thoughts?
Old 01-10-20 | 05:36 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Dealer told me it was normal. I did end up changing gas brands from 76 to Chevron and the chirping went away.
Old 01-10-20 | 06:06 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Only a light ticking noise from the direct injection system, which is normal. I put Octane 94 in my RCF.
Old 01-08-21 | 01:46 AM
SWeatherly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by e2dag
Dealer told me it was normal. I did end up changing gas brands from 76 to Chevron and the chirping went away.
I never thought that gas could cause this issue! I changed from Shell V Power to Chevron and the chirping completely went away. After about 7 months, I switched back to Shell just to test and the chirping came right back. Who would have thought?? The dealer was stumped and had no solution until I brought this test result up. Whatever additive is in the premium Shell Gas (and maybe other gas brands) causes the issue.

Recommendation is simply to try different gas and it should correct the issue. It certainly solved mine