4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

any idea if eco mode locks in the atkinson cycle
Old 03-26-15, 06:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eco Mode and Eco light are two totally diferent things. Until someone has something in writing that says something different this is how Lexus defines the two:

ASK LEXUS
“What is the new 'Eco Light,' and does it help me get better fuel economy?”
THIS QUESTION COMES from 2010 RX drivers. The Eco Light—officially called the Eco Driving Indicator Light—is a new feature in the 2010 RX 350 and RX 450h. It’s also in the HS 250h, which recently arrived in dealerships. It’s a light on the dashboard that turns on whenever you’re driving most efficiently, helping you to optimize your fuel economy.

I spoke with Charles Hubbard, Senior Dealer Education Administrator at Lexus College, and he explained the premise in simple terms. “If I’m driving the car and the green light is on, that means I’m driving it very economically. If it goes off, then I’m stepping on it a bit too much, I’m driving a bit too hard. If you keep your eye tuned to the light, when it’s on, you’re OK. When it’s off, you’re not.”

0908_vi_ecolight_inset.jpg
I asked for an example. “If you take a hybrid on the highway and get it up to speed, as soon as you get it up there and hold it, the light’s going to be off. Now, if you back off the throttle just a little—and it doesn’t take much—the light comes on and you’ll stay at speed.”

Personally, I’m like most drivers—I’m pretty good at driving in a way so I don’t burn excess fuel, not speeding for example. But the fact is, while I understand the basic principles of economic driving, I tend not to think about them when I’m behind the wheel. The Eco Light is a subtle device that helps make this kind of thinking intuitive, and helps drivers know precisely when the vehicle is hitting its fuel-efficiency sweet spot.

What impresses me about the Eco Light is its level of sophistication. Primitive versions of this appeared decades ago during the energy crisis, and frankly weren’t much help. Not so the Eco Light: for example, Hubbard explained how artificial intelligence monitors for speed and throttle angle to factor when you’re on a hill; since judicious application of throttle is called for when going uphill, the light stays on. Pretty cool.

You know what else I like about the Eco Light? If you want, you can turn it off—say when you’re fighting rush hour traffic, and don’t have a lot of choice in how you use the throttle.—CLARK HEIDEGER, LEXUS AUTOMOTIVE EDITOR

Props to some of you guys for providing some reality based driving impressions. Please keep them coming. Hopefully there will be some videos flowing soon as well.
Old 03-26-15, 10:19 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that statement seems like it's saying the Eco Light feature is just a "driving coach" to help you know when you're using the throttle most gas-efficiently... but doesn't seem to be much different than switching to "eco mode" which also coaches you with that blue circular saw gauge (more blue lights the more gas you're saving)

But what I find different in older Lexus cars (like the 2010 RX) with the Eco Light feature is that they don't necessarily have the otto-atkinson cycle switching feature that the new NX and RCF engines have. Therefore maybe the Eco Light is now also tied to engaging that otto-atkinson cycle feature and if you turn off the Eco Light mode then you're also potentially locking in the Otto cycle only (reduced efficiency, more power density, better throttle response)

I could be wrong and the otto-atkinson feature is always in use in Normal mode, regardless of Eco Light engaged or not... but for me there seems to be a definite improvement in throttle response and whether thats just remapping or actual disabling of the atkinson cycle... not sure.
Old 03-26-15, 11:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
So that statement seems like it's saying the Eco Light feature is just a "driving coach" to help you know when you're using the throttle most gas-efficiently... but doesn't seem to be much different than switching to "eco mode" which also coaches you with that blue circular saw gauge (more blue lights the more gas you're saving)

But what I find different in older Lexus cars (like the 2010 RX) with the Eco Light feature is that they don't necessarily have the otto-atkinson cycle switching feature that the new NX and RCF engines have. Therefore maybe the Eco Light is now also tied to engaging that otto-atkinson cycle feature and if you turn off the Eco Light mode then you're also potentially locking in the Otto cycle only (reduced efficiency, more power density, better throttle response)

I could be wrong and the otto-atkinson feature is always in use in Normal mode, regardless of Eco Light engaged or not... but for me there seems to be a definite improvement in throttle response and whether thats just remapping or actual disabling of the atkinson cycle... not sure.
Driving coach is the best way to describe imo. Unless Lexus provides another definition. You can disable the light if you don't want the 'feel good' reminder but that's all disabling the light does. Eco mode provides whatever specific driving mode changes designed for that vehicle line. AFAIK only the RX450 hybrid has Eco mode, the gas RX does not. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-26-15, 06:56 PM
6i9
Driver

Maybe i Just experienced placebo.
Old 03-26-15, 07:20 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Maybe i Just experienced placebo.
Same as the TVD
Old 03-26-15, 08:16 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Same as the TVD
I'm pretty sure the Motor Trend lap was with TVD equipped car. Probably need the skills to extract the TVD potential but it is still a very sophisticated drivetrain component that is being dismissed simply because the vast target market of the RCF won't care to go to a racetrack or even drive it close to the limit on mountain roads.

I think the TVD is not just a performance benefit but also offers a more sophisticated safety net.