RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 08:57 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Cool. Much appreciated. Knew about manual activation. No clue I could turn off while tail was up to keep it up. Thanks.

As much time as I spend in the car, I have yet to even try basic stuff like voice command or navigation Or scroll through features and settings to see what's there. Just get in and drive and no clue about the little niceties.
Lots of cool little features with the voice system. You can say " it's too hot/cold in here". Car will automatically cool/heat +\- 4 degrees instantly. Be nice to have a sticky thread about neat little voice commands people have found.
Old 12-09-15, 02:34 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

As I have documented on this forum before, I have had 3 fuel pumps replaced in less than a year of ownership. Lexus sent me the formal offer to repurchase the vehicle.
My original sticker price $72,212
Lexus repurchase price $73,300

Lexus will reimburse my interest paid on my loan payment, taxes, tag, etc.

$3000 deduction for use of car.
Old 12-09-15, 06:49 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
As I have documented on this forum before, I have had 3 fuel pumps replaced in less than a year of ownership. Lexus sent me the formal offer to repurchase the vehicle.
My original sticker price $72,212
Lexus repurchase price $73,300

Lexus will reimburse my interest paid on my loan payment, taxes, tag, etc.

$3000 deduction for use of car.
Dang db, this really leads me to believe there is something else other than the fuel pump causing the fuel pump to fail. 3 on one car. The chances of you getting 3 bad fuel pumps when so many are not experiencing the first failure seem remote and too many seem to have reoccurring failures on the same car.

I recall and sympathize with your misery, but at least you finally get to Lemmon that sucker and start all over.

So are they only giving $70,300 after the $3,000 deduction or is the $73,300 after the $3,000 deduction?

What car is next? I am seriously considering a new CLS AMG 63 in matte grey everything blacked out. Love my RCF, but saw the new matte CLS the other day and wanted one since. Hopefully, will have time Saturday to swing by Mercedes.
Old 12-10-15, 07:25 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang db, this really leads me to believe there is something else other than the fuel pump causing the fuel pump to fail. 3 on one car. The chances of you getting 3 bad fuel pumps when so many are not experiencing the first failure seem remote and too many seem to have reoccurring failures on the same car.

I recall and sympathize with your misery, but at least you finally get to Lemmon that sucker and start all over.

So are they only giving $70,300 after the $3,000 deduction or is the $73,300 after the $3,000 deduction?

What car is next? I am seriously considering a new CLS AMG 63 in matte grey everything blacked out. Love my RCF, but saw the new matte CLS the other day and wanted one since. Hopefully, will have time Saturday to swing by Mercedes.
Doug- I give them the keys and the car and they give me a check that equals the difference between $73,300 and my payoff with Lexus financial. The AMG C63 COUPE should be out in the Spring. The 4 door is nice too.
Old 12-10-15, 02:54 PM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doug - I am going thru the same thing with Lexus. Although it only happened to me once, the car was moving at 40 mph when the engine came to a complete halt and I don't want to place myself or others in danger (Especially with 40 mph being the slowest that I had planned to drive the car). I am not sure how I feel about that $3,000 care use fee though. That seems a little skeptical. Oh well, enjoy the new car.
Old 12-10-15, 03:02 PM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the slow response, but the exact wording is that the pin #4 burnt/dislodged from fuel pump plate. The connector and fuel pump plate were burnt to the point there they could not disconnect them. They replaced the harness, fuel pump and sender plate, pressure regulators, 0-rings. This is a little scary for me.
Old 12-10-15, 03:34 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Xansol
the exact wording is that the pin #4 burnt/dislodged from fuel pump plate. The connector and fuel pump plate were burnt to the point there they could not disconnect them. They replaced the harness, fuel pump and sender plate, pressure regulators, 0-rings. This is a little scary for me.
Holy crap! Yeah, that's a lot worse than just a fuel pump. But after several failures of such a simple device (especially a low-pressure fuel pump being in use for decades), I suspected there was more to the story. And now you confirmed that. But the millio dollar question is if Lexus will agree to purchase the car back just with one failure. Please keep us posted.

I'm interested in hearing what's the explanation of the defect, and if all cars could be affected, or just a few. Would like to know where is this 'fuel plate' in question. Anybody? And pics would be awesome. Now I don't feel that confident on taking this car on a long trip, all of a sudden. Ha ha.

Anyway, a $3K 'use' deduction could be quite steep or low, depending how many miles the OP had. How many? Hopefully is mileage dependent. If I was to get such a deduction with my 700 miles, it'd raise all kinds of hell. Ha ha.
Old 12-10-15, 06:21 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Not what I wanted to read about after getting my RC F 2 weeks ago...
Old 12-10-15, 11:19 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
Doug- I give them the keys and the car and they give me a check that equals the difference between $73,300 and my payoff with Lexus financial. The AMG C63 COUPE should be out in the Spring. The 4 door is nice too.
Congrats Dbcooper, sounds like you were reasonably made whole.

Didn't you say they were also reimbursing your sales tax and interest paid? Is the 73.3K figure including that reimbursement, less the 3000 mileage fee?
Old 12-23-15, 09:23 AM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Default Arbitration update

Well, I was asking Lexus to strongly consider taking my car back, since this "so called" fuel pump issue happened while I was driving the vehicle at 40 mph and the engine completely shut down. Although I was able to navigate the car to safety with limited steering and braking, after reviewing how many people were going thru this... I felt that the car was not safe to drive (especially after 3 weeks in the shop) and the value of the car would not be the same if I tried to trade it in.

I got the DENIAL letter and they felt that the car is not a danger (although there are over 10 pages of post that say otherwise) and that this has not happened multiples of times.

UGH..... I do not want to risk the safety of others or myself driving this car that I have not touched in almost 3 months, but lets see what happens.
Old 12-23-15, 10:24 AM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Can I get information about your firm? I have just got denied arbitration from the NCDS and with over 20 plus people on this post with the same issues.... I would like to know if class action is necessary.

Thanks.

Xan
Old 12-28-15, 07:05 PM
ILoveMyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Add another one to the fuel pump issue. Mine started making the humming noise yesterday, but this morning I did not hear it on my way to work. Regardless, I will be back at the dealer this Saturday, AGAIN. Was just there last weekend to have the wing issue repaired, which they overlooked 4 screws/clips on the inside of the trunk liner. They also left a bolt inside the trunk which I can hear banging around every time I open and close the trunk.

In the past 4 months of ownership I've also taken the car in for:
-Squeaky brakes 3 times, they've never replaced anything. "Working as designed" is what they say.
-To have the door edge guards re-installed because they were too high and started to peel off.
-Low engine oil light came on, they added oil and had me return 1,000 miles later for "inspection".... all they did was change the oil and filter when I went back.
-To inspect an exhaust rattle coming from the middle of the car, which they couldn't hear, but magically went away after they inspected the entire car. They probably tightened everything and that took care of it.

Seems like most of us active on the forums are having similar mechanical issues, I wonder how many other owners not on the forums are going through similar problems.
I had the low engine level light come on, but I was near my service date and parked on a steep decline.

My active wing has flared up. I go to get it replaced this Friday. It was not flash-able when I brought it in last week. They said they'd have to order the parts from Japan and re-install it. I couldn't imagine they'd use the same faulty product but I'll be sure to make that point at the dealer. I've read the active wing goes out after about 500 activations and deactivations.

No fuel pump issues--yet--luckily.

Overall I'm not feeling like this is "perfection" purely just the pursuit.

My question does anyone feel they have to hold the push to start and depress the brake for a slight longer length of time in comparison to other Lexus models or push to start in general? I don't feel like I had to hold the button and brake as long in my '14 IS350 F sport or when I first got my RCF.
Old 12-29-15, 09:43 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F#&! This is pretty scary. I was just out at Willow hammering through 90 deg curves at 70+ mph. That would seriously be a very bad time for the engine, steering and brakes to be compromised in any way. I don't think I can trust the safety of this car until Lexus figures out at least some sort of inspection / assessment process. Not good!

Just under 6,000 miles on the odometer. Don't get me wrong I love this car, but this is very disappointing.
Old 12-29-15, 09:59 PM
ILoveMyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Lemmon it if any more strange fuel pump type issues, especially with the paint chip issue. Shoot me a pm if need help writing letters. My firm has offices in LA and SD.
Could you explain this paint chip issue?
Old 01-06-16, 02:27 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Xansol
Well, I was asking Lexus to strongly consider taking my car back, since this "so called" fuel pump issue happened while I was driving the vehicle at 40 mph and the engine completely shut down. Although I was able to navigate the car to safety with limited steering and braking, after reviewing how many people were going thru this... I felt that the car was not safe to drive (especially after 3 weeks in the shop) and the value of the car would not be the same if I tried to trade it in.

I got the DENIAL letter and they felt that the car is not a danger (although there are over 10 pages of post that say otherwise) and that this has not happened multiples of times.

UGH..... I do not want to risk the safety of others or myself driving this car that I have not touched in almost 3 months, but lets see what happens.
How many failures and "attempts" to repair have you had your dealership make? I think the buy-back hinges entirely on how many repair attempts were made for "non-safety" issues, although it seems like you are arguing the safety aspect of this failure (very rightly at 40mph engine shutoff!).

Did you hear buzzing/whirring sounds at idle prior to the failure?

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump