Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VIN #2375 and no issues @ 8000 miles.
Old 02-21-16, 02:53 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently sitting in my RCF and it started making this higher pitched humming type noise. Kind of reminds me of a fan kicking on a running possibly. It seems like it's right below me. I turned the car off and back on and it was gone. However, it came back after 2-3 minutes of idling.

Is this the fuel pump issue?
Old 02-21-16, 02:59 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
I'm currently sitting in my RCF and it started making this higher pitched humming type noise. Kind of reminds me of a fan kicking on a running possibly. It seems like it's right below me. I turned the car off and back on and it was gone. However, it came back after 2-3 minutes of idling.

Is this the fuel pump issue?
bingo
Old 02-21-16, 03:11 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
bingo
Did this happen to you?

This noise is incredibly annoying.
Old 02-21-16, 04:25 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious Ghoffner...when was your car made? This maybe a dumb question for everyone...but could a throttle controller cause a fuel pump problem?
Old 02-21-16, 05:35 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I am curious about the cost of the part. I know labor is perhaps expensive for this item, but what is cost just for part? What is total cost to replace including labor?
Old 02-21-16, 06:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DougHII
I am curious about the cost of the part. I know labor is perhaps expensive for this item, but what is cost just for part? What is total cost to replace including labor?
Specified Part Number is: 23220-38090

RC F Fuel Pump Assembly w/ Filter

MSRP $352.17

It's too bad that other new recent thread got derailed + locked... Some of those posts should be merged in here to help others deal with their ongoing problems.

The fact is some Fuel Pumps are making excessive noise.. They may not be deemed as "failed" because they are still pumping fuel..

But if a part is humming loud + makes more noise then a hair dryer, clearly there's an issue..!!
Especially if it has been replaced 1, 2 or even 3 times..

It would call it a manufacture defect. Lexus needs to work harder with the pump manufacture to get to the bottom of the problem.. Wether it's a mechanical problem with the pump, the design or even the wiring harness involved..

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive my brand new $80K Lexus with an excessivly humming fuel pump running behind my seat.. (Under Back seat • Inside the fuel tank)

Honest Truth..!!

Joe Z
Old 02-21-16, 07:28 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

MSRP $352.17

It's too bad that other new recent thread got derailed + locked... Some of those posts should be merged in here to help others deal with their ongoing problems.

The fact is some Fuel Pumps are making excessive noise.. They may not be deemed as "failed" because they are still pumping fuel..

But if a part is humming loud + makes more noise then a hair dryer, clearly there's an issue..!!

It would call it a manufacture defect. Lexus needs to work harder with the pump manufacture to get to the bottom of the problem.. Wether it's a mechanical problem with the pump, the design or even the wiring harness involved..

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive my brand new $80K Lexus with an excessivly humming fuel pump running behind my seat.. (Under Back seat • Inside the fuel tank)

Honest Truth..!!

Joe Z
Lol, are you trying to imply it will blow up now with that under "back seat + inside fuel tank" comment. Stoking some hysteria?

Why would it make a loud noise that emanates from under the back seat? Is the actual fuel pump making the noise or is the noise coming from another source, another location and just symptomatic of a weak or failing fuel pump?
Old 02-21-16, 07:28 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Did this happen to you?

This noise is incredibly annoying.
No. Mine's perfectly Lexus solid to date.
Old 02-21-16, 08:40 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, are you trying to imply it will blow up now with that under "back seat + inside fuel tank" comment. Stoking some hysteria?

Why would it make a loud noise that emanates from under the back seat? Is the actual fuel pump making the noise or is the noise coming from another source, another location and just symptomatic of a weak or failing fuel pump?
Doug.. I appreciate lots of your posts here.

But honestly we're talking about RC F fuel pumps going bad here. Nothing more / Nothing less...

I'm not sure what your angle of attack / defense is (hysteria comment), in all of these threads, but the fact of the matter remains that people are having problems with a loud humming noise coming from inside the Gas Tank.

Well inside the Gas Tank there is a Fuel Pump!!

Let's not get this open discussion thread locked as well..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-21-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 05:32 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by Frog98
Just curious Ghoffner...when was your car made? This maybe a dumb question for everyone...but could a throttle controller cause a fuel pump problem?
Ill have to check tonight. Was purchased November 2015
Old 02-22-16, 05:37 AM
ghoffner
Driver

So the fuel pump noise seemed to have stopped. I think I am going to take it in to the local Lexus dealer and see what they say. I would like them to check it out before it completely fails.

Also need to have them check my brakes...again

Andddd put on a new left rear pilot super sport courtesy of the wheel and tire package
Old 02-22-16, 09:16 PM
Santanas
Rookie

Default We The Best

The only annoying noise that I hear on my RCF from under the seat is when I use the heat or cold function on the seats, now those fans or whatever is blowing inside the seats are loud! Every time that I read here "the noise is coming from under the seat" thats the only noise that I can comment on. I rather let my *** cook (if is too hot) or freeze if it is too cold lol.
Old 02-24-16, 04:20 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z

MSRP $352.17

Honest Truth..!!

Joe Z
Joe, I am the guy who started the other thread....the thread that got "locked". It was unfortunate because there seemed to be a high level of interest. In about 2 weeks the thread had over 10,000 "views". It also had over 150 "replies" from 30 participants.

As a follow up to that thread, I am waiting for responses to the letters I mailed. The letters were delivered to Toyota USA on 2/19/16 and the letters to Toyota Motor Corp (Japan) were delivered on 2/22/16. The Case Manager at Lexus and the dealership's Service Manager both encouraged writing letters. They said the more documentation, like letters and phone calls from "Owners", could help speed up the process of Toyota (Lexus) developing a remedy for the RC F fuel pump issue. If I receive any responses, I will post that information here.
Old 02-24-16, 09:07 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has this fuel pump issue ever left anyone stranded or is it just a noise?

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump