RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 04:44 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Moderator Edit - DougHII please exit this thread. You're continuing the type of rude and personal posts that caused the previous one to be locked.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-26-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 09:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gatie
Joe, I am the guy who started the other thread....the thread that got "locked". It was unfortunate because there seemed to be a high level of interest. In about 2 weeks the thread had over 10,000 "views". It also had over 150 "replies" from 30 participants.

As a follow up to that thread, I am waiting for responses to the letters I mailed. The letters were delivered to Toyota USA on 2/19/16 and the letters to Toyota Motor Corp (Japan) were delivered on 2/22/16. The Case Manager at Lexus and the dealership's Service Manager both encouraged writing letters. They said the more documentation, like letters and phone calls from "Owners", could help speed up the process of Toyota (Lexus) developing a remedy for the RC F fuel pump issue. If I receive any responses, I will post that information here.
Good deal... Keep us posted..

Joe Z
Old 02-26-16, 09:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Has this fuel pump issue ever left anyone stranded or is it just a noise?
There are a few documented instances on here.. Where a tow was required or the car shutdown during driving..

Of course not every bad fuel pump case makes it onto CL..

Fuel related recalls are a "Safety Issue" and become a problem for the manufacturer when they have to make a widespread repair..

For example MY 08 IS F has a mandatory ELF recall for the Fuel Pressure Sensor gasket...

Mandatory? Yes... In CA you can not re-register the car until the repair has been completed by an authorized Lexus dealer.

And again we're talking about a $2 gasket the size of a dime.. Which takes 4 hours to compete the job..

Also Lexus themselves has deemed this a potential increase of a vehicle fire..

Even though my IS F has 117K miles, it needs to be done..!!

Hoping they come up with a better plan for RC F owners soon..

Joe Z
Old 02-27-16, 01:42 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Good deal... Keep us posted..

Joe Z
Yesterday, Friday, I received my first response to my letters. I missed the phone call but the message was from the Executive Office of Lexus. They wanted to acknowledge the receipt of my correspondence addressed to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division. They said thank you for making them aware of my situation and for sending the detailed information. They said what will happen now is, the Executive Team will review my information and get back to me mid-week next week with their decision of an appropriate course of action. I tried to call them back but had to leave a message. I thanked them for the prompt response to my letter...I told them I would be available to answer questions directly to the Executive Team Members and/or if they are located in Torrance (I think they are) I could drive over so they could see and hear the car for themselves, since I am located in Torrance too. I will let you know what they say next week.
Old 03-01-16, 05:48 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by Gatie
Yesterday, Friday, I received my first response to my letters. I missed the phone call but the message was from the Executive Office of Lexus. They wanted to acknowledge the receipt of my correspondence addressed to the Group Vice President/General Manager - Lexus Division. They said thank you for making them aware of my situation and for sending the detailed information. They said what will happen now is, the Executive Team will review my information and get back to me mid-week next week with their decision of an appropriate course of action. I tried to call them back but had to leave a message. I thanked them for the prompt response to my letter...I told them I would be available to answer questions directly to the Executive Team Members and/or if they are located in Torrance (I think they are) I could drive over so they could see and hear the car for themselves, since I am located in Torrance too. I will let you know what they say next week.
Any update? My RCF has recently started making the dreaded "humming/fan" noise directly below me. It isn't constant however. It will do it one day and not the next, although it seems like it is making this noise more regularly lately.
Old 03-01-16, 10:30 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Any update? My RCF has recently started making the dreaded "humming/fan" noise directly below me. It isn't constant however. It will do it one day and not the next, although it seems like it is making this noise more regularly lately.
ghoffner, sorry to hear your car is starting to make that noise. That is how my car was too. One day it was making the noise and I drove it straight to the dealership and left the engine running so a tech could hear the noise himself. They ended up replacing that fuel pump. Now the replacement one make the noise every time I start the engine.

The Lexus HQ people said they will contact me mid-week so I hope to hear something tomorrow or Thursday. I will post as soon as I hear from them.
Old 03-01-16, 12:03 PM
6i9
Driver

I have an update on my particular case with the RCF Fuel pump: Lexus has agreed to offer a full buyback on my vehicle including sales tax, registration fees, interest paid on payments so far, minus a mileage deduction.

I am very satisfied with Lexus' response. My vehicle was in the dealership 3 times to address the fuel pump issue and after that I decided to start the buyback process with Lexus which involved a 30 minute phone call to Lexus NA to describe and document my experience.

Hopefully others will find remedy on the fuel pump or at the very least can get Lexus to agree to a buyback.
Old 03-01-16, 01:17 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by 6i9
I have an update on my particular case with the RCF Fuel pump: Lexus has agreed to offer a full buyback on my vehicle including sales tax, registration fees, interest paid on payments so far, minus a mileage deduction.

I am very satisfied with Lexus' response. My vehicle was in the dealership 3 times to address the fuel pump issue and after that I decided to start the buyback process with Lexus which involved a 30 minute phone call to Lexus NA to describe and document my experience.

Hopefully others will find remedy on the fuel pump or at the very least can get Lexus to agree to a buyback.
Can you describe the sounds/issues you had with yours?
Old 03-01-16, 04:58 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Can you describe the sounds/issues you had with yours?
Loud humming and intermittent whirring sounds at idle, coming from the fuel pump located underneath/behind the rear seats on the driver's side. Hesitation on acceleration, but that could also jsut be the lifeless transmission in this car in normal mode.

Sound appeared to stop at slight throttle input and drowned out by road noise after 5-10MPH
Old 03-02-16, 05:41 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by 6i9
Loud humming and intermittent whirring sounds at idle, coming from the fuel pump located underneath/behind the rear seats on the driver's side. Hesitation on acceleration, but that could also jsut be the lifeless transmission in this car in normal mode.

Sound appeared to stop at slight throttle input and drowned out by road noise after 5-10MPH
Yup that describes exactly what my RCF sounds like and how it acts.
Old 03-02-16, 08:18 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for same issues with my 15 RC-F fuel pump.

i'll definitely be happy once Lexus has a fix for this.
Old 03-04-16, 01:02 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
+1 for same issues with my 15 RC-F fuel pump.

i'll definitely be happy once Lexus has a fix for this.
Sorry to hear you are also having the fuel pump problem. I think you are the 19th person on this thread (and the locked thread) to have a fuel pump problem. A couple of days ago I had an initial conversation with the person from the Lexus Executive Offices. They are suppose to get back to me next week with some additional information. Yesterday I also received a brief letter confirming the receipt of my letter to the Board of Directors of Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan. I will let everyone know what happens with both of these interactions with Lexus.
Old 03-05-16, 01:41 PM
tarponman
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard the noise for the first time yesterday. Have not heard it today though. Got the car back in November it has 4k miles.
Old 03-05-16, 07:33 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Still no issues here; car feels like it is getting stronger at 11,000km's
Old 03-07-16, 03:40 AM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is doing it too, really annoying. Damn

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump