RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 04:58 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,555 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by demik
Mine is doing it too, really annoying. Damn
Damn is right! Sorry to hear. It sucks that this happens to Lexus' top of the line sports coupe. And you'd think by now, there should be a solution to it.
Old 03-07-16, 07:41 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am one of the first owners that had this issue with the fuel pump, I traded in the car for a new RC-F several months after that started once I got the new one it started doing the same so I started to think it might be a fuel issue, haven't been to the dealership but I have changed from shell to exxon fuel and after several weeks of use the fuel pump noise has not come back, not sure if I'm right but if anyone else runs exxon and doesn't have the fuel pump noise it could be possible that might be a solution to the problem but if anyone finds out otherwise let me know
Old 03-07-16, 08:42 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcc09
I am one of the first owners that had this issue with the fuel pump, I traded in the car for a new RC-F several months after that started once I got the new one it started doing the same so I started to think it might be a fuel issue, haven't been to the dealership but I have changed from shell to exxon fuel and after several weeks of use the fuel pump noise has not come back, not sure if I'm right but if anyone else runs exxon and doesn't have the fuel pump noise it could be possible that might be a solution to the problem but if anyone finds out otherwise let me know
Interesting. I will give this a try, as I only use Shell gas.
Old 03-07-16, 08:47 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Damn is right! Sorry to hear. It sucks that this happens to Lexus' top of the line sports coupe. And you'd think by now, there should be a solution to it.
Your logic is flawed. So if this happens to the high volume RX, it's somehow not sucky? We appreciate the Lexus brand because the brand is all about quality, reliability and durability like the mothership Toyota aka across the board. The Lexus brand includes all its models. This reflects poorly on Lexus as a whole.

It sucks to you because you know it can happen to your "top of the line sports coupe".
Old 03-07-16, 10:17 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,555 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Your logic is flawed. So if this happens to the high volume RX, it's somehow not sucky? We appreciate the Lexus brand because the brand is all about quality, reliability and durability like the mothership Toyota aka across the board. The Lexus brand includes all its models. This reflects poorly on Lexus as a whole.

It sucks to you because you know it can happen to your "top of the line sports coupe".
"F" you. How do you know what I'm thinking? It sucks to all fellow Lexus owners, F or not, if they encounter the same. I don't visit other sections of this forum to find out what's happening to other models. I'm here in this section because we all have F's, therefore I feel closer to everyone here than to other members on other sections. Got it?
Old 03-07-16, 10:58 AM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK

I don't think JT2MA71 meant any disrespect or anything. I think he was just saying that it kinda sucks that a 80k performance car has a issue like this and that its starting to become apparent with other owners .

Yea it reflects Lexus as a whole but probably since most of us posting in the RCF forum, we are RCF owners? Just like JT2MA71, I rarely visit other sections of the CL boards also. Any issue with another Lexus is sucky. But isn't this a RCF section? So it would be safe to assume that we primarily only talk about the RCF? If you want to get technical you should blame the team of engineers that where assigned to the RC/RCF project.

Ive had issues with my IS250 and ISF and yea it was sucky. No big deal. Ill buy another Lexus any day. Its just "sucky" that an issue like this has become apparent in their "top of the line sports coupe".

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
"F" you. How do you know what I'm thinking? It sucks to all fellow Lexus owners, F or not, if they encounter the same. I don't visit other sections of this forum to find out what's happening to other models. I'm here in this section because we all have F's, therefore I feel closer to everyone here than to other members on other sections. Got it?

I get what your saying sir.
Old 03-07-16, 11:00 AM
Gatie
Rookie

Late in the afternoon of 3/2/16, I spoke with a representative from the Executive Offices of Lexus. They were notified by the Product QualityTeam that there has been an “increasing” number of problems reported regarding the RC F fuel pump. Toyota (Japan) is sending some “technicians” here to help address the problem. They are considering the possibility of the problem NOT being the entire fuel pump but potentially a part of it or something else effecting the fuel pump. They are suppose to contact me later this week with an update and if available, a timeline.

Back in early February, a Case Manager told me that Lexus has not received enough feedback from RC F owners about the problem. Now that “tarponman” and “demik”posted they hear the noise, I count at least 21 of us on this thread and the “locked”thread. The Service Manager at South Bay Lexus (Torrance, CA) told me that they have 3 other RC F owners, besides me, that are now experiencing the fuel pump problem.

One of the best things RC F owners with an existing, or previous, fuel pump problem can do is notify Lexus about your problem. At the very least, call them at 800-255-3987. If possible, it helps to also send a “follow up” letter after you make the call.
Old 03-07-16, 04:10 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcc09
Nearly the SAME story here. 3 bad pumps-Lexus bought it back. I put the same exact gas from a station by my neighborhood in that RCF.

Got the new replacement RCF and it started making noise. My tech ordered the part and I was supposed to return to get it fixed. I never went back to that gas station and switch companies.
I swear, that was 2 months ago and the sound hasn't returned. (with all the other pumps- once it starts, it stays) The 'bad pump gas' was heavy Ethanol type gas.
Old 03-07-16, 07:20 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatie
Late in the afternoon of 3/2/16, I spoke with a representative from the Executive Offices of Lexus. They were notified by the Product QualityTeam that there has been an “increasing” number of problems reported regarding the RC F fuel pump. Toyota (Japan) is sending some “technicians” here to help address the problem. They are considering the possibility of the problem NOT being the entire fuel pump but potentially a part of it or something else effecting the fuel pump. They are suppose to contact me later this week with an update and if available, a timeline.

Back in early February, a Case Manager told me that Lexus has not received enough feedback from RC F owners about the problem. Now that “tarponman” and “demik”posted they hear the noise, I count at least 21 of us on this thread and the “locked”thread. The Service Manager at South Bay Lexus (Torrance, CA) told me that they have 3 other RC F owners, besides me, that are now experiencing the fuel pump problem.

One of the best things RC F owners with an existing, or previous, fuel pump problem can do is notify Lexus about your problem. At the very least, call them at 800-255-3987. If possible, it helps to also send a “follow up” letter after you make the call.

Thanks for the posts and info Gatie.

Took it to the dealer and they are replacing the pump.

If it makes any sense. I only use shell and picked up my car in December of 2014 with a low vin number

Last edited by DEMIK; 03-08-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 05:55 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
Nearly the SAME story here. 3 bad pumps-Lexus bought it back. I put the same exact gas from a station by my neighborhood in that RCF.

Got the new replacement RCF and it started making noise. My tech ordered the part and I was supposed to return to get it fixed. I never went back to that gas station and switch companies.
I swear, that was 2 months ago and the sound hasn't returned. (with all the other pumps- once it starts, it stays) The 'bad pump gas' was heavy Ethanol type gas.
Can you just say what gas you were using and what gas you switched to?
I currently only use Shell V-power. Sounds like I need to switch from this...

My RCF goes in Friday to have the fuel pump looked at.
Old 03-08-16, 05:55 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has 4300 miles on it and this week I started to hear the humming noise. I believe the noise is coming from the flue pump. I made an appointment for this Sat to get it checked.
Old 03-08-16, 11:26 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Can you just say what gas you were using and what gas you switched to?
I currently only use Shell V-power. Sounds like I need to switch from this...

My RCF goes in Friday to have the fuel pump looked at.
I know you were replying to someone else but I did the same thing, I went from shell to Exxon and the humming noise has stop
Old 03-09-16, 05:45 PM
FLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

At around 3k miles I started hearing the dreaded hum. I contacted my local Lexus dealer and mentioned to them that I was hearing the hum and think it is due to the fuel pump. My service guy stated that this was a know issue and most of the cars they have sold are having this issue. He stated that Lexus Corporate is aware and is currently working on a solution to this problem. He said he would gladly swap mine out with another but for now it would be the exact same pump that would likely have the same issue. He said he was not sure if Corp was working for a new supplier or if they are plan to modify the existing pump/harness. He stated that when the new solution becomes available he would contact me. Just passing along some info from my guy. I have purchased 8 Lexus vehicles from these guys and they have always been very straight with me.
Old 03-10-16, 05:17 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by FLexusFan
At around 3k miles I started hearing the dreaded hum. I contacted my local Lexus dealer and mentioned to them that I was hearing the hum and think it is due to the fuel pump. My service guy stated that this was a know issue and most of the cars they have sold are having this issue. He stated that Lexus Corporate is aware and is currently working on a solution to this problem. He said he would gladly swap mine out with another but for now it would be the exact same pump that would likely have the same issue. He said he was not sure if Corp was working for a new supplier or if they are plan to modify the existing pump/harness. He stated that when the new solution becomes available he would contact me. Just passing along some info from my guy. I have purchased 8 Lexus vehicles from these guys and they have always been very straight with me.
Mind sharing the dealer? As you are also in Texas...
Old 03-10-16, 05:46 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only used Shell 2-3 times in 10k miles, I use the Costco gas about 95% of the time and had 0 issues.

Guys if someone gets a NEW car and has the SAME issues it's NOT the pump it's the gas causing the issue, try some different gas before going to the dealer, it's an easy fix to test out at least and it will give them some help on getting a resolution.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump