RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 12:14 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mirza
dealer took video and will contact lexus to ask what to do about it. Have to drop off the car later today
There is one pump in the US right now
drove home to get my wallet and drove it in sport+ hard
Sound is gone. Still not sure if I should drop of the car now and wait forever for them to figure it out.
If they cant replicate it they will probably just give me the car back and tell me to come back when its making the sound again.
At least the loaner is still an RC
Old 03-11-16, 12:53 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The humming noise has come back, after about 40 miles. I stepped out for lunch, and was very disappointed to hear it. It doesn't look like a gas issue. Granted, mine is mixed but somebody just said they are running Shell and no issues.

I have an appointment tomorrow at Lexus. Very disappointing
Old 03-11-16, 01:13 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF500
I remember that back in the early 2000s, Shell had high sulfur in their gasoline that affects the fuel gauge. Maybe Shell is back at it again and this time it's damaging the fuel pumps? Go V-Power...lol.
Okay, maybe I won't wait 'til it happens and just go with a different brand fuel
Old 03-11-16, 01:54 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped mine off earlier at the dealership. My service advisor and a mechanic looked at my car and of course it decided not to make the humming noise. My advisor then asked how/why I thought it was the fuel pump. I mentioned this forum and thread and his response was "so its not something official from lexus?". Basically, I don't think he bought into any fuel pump issue and he insisted he hasn't heard of it before. Although he did say he will look into it.
Old 03-11-16, 02:13 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Just got a call from my service advisor. He basically repeated what others on this forum have said..."Lexus is aware of this issue and there is no fix yet. It will not impact the performance of the vehicle and is only cosmetic." (or something along those lines).
Old 03-11-16, 03:07 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Earlier this week I posted that I spoke with a representative from the Executive Offices of Lexus. I have been speaking with them over the last couple of weeks because of the letter I sent to the Group Vice President/General Manager of Lexus....expressing my disappointment with the way Lexus is handling the fuel pump problem. I can tell you that Lexus is aware of the problem. I should (hope) to hear from them again, soon, with an update.

As I previously mentioned, if you have the fuel pump problem, please find the time to call Lexus at 800-255-3987. Make sure they take down your information. If you need to, ask for a Reference Number of your call/case. As of now, I count at least 26 of us on this thread (and the locked thread) who had, or, are having a problem with the fuel pump. Call and make them aware.
Old 03-11-16, 04:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
13k miles, almost 1 year with no problem with fuel pump noise and I always use Shell V-Power Nitro+ Premium, which as you know, in the US contains 10% Ethanol.

I do run it down to 1/4 full and sometimes down to 2 gal but
I dont let it sit more more than 1 day when low before refill since its my only car and especially now after reading the following link that DBCouper13 posted:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195
This advice is not relevant to any Toyota product. The fuel pump sits in a subtank specifically designed to keep the fuel level high around the pump and improve cooling. They've been doing this since the MkIV Supra.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post2877442
Old 03-11-16, 04:08 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer;

[URL
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/302986-gas-tank-dash-reading-accuracy-2.html#post2877442[/URL]
Good to know that I dont have to worry about low level in tank. Thanks.
Old 03-11-16, 08:39 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm heading over to Escondido Lexus tomorrow to drop off my RC F. They said they haven't heard of this issue, so I'm thinking this might be a battle with them. I'm not looking forward to it.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Big thanks to Gatie for getting in contact with the big boys at Lexus and trying to get some resolve on this issue.

Cheers,
Old 03-11-16, 09:16 PM
6i9
Driver

I really doubt the gas brand has anything to do with it. I've had fuel pump issues since I was at 4,000 miles and now I have over 13,000 miles. Switching gas, sticking with a certain gas station/brand did nothing. The fuel pump whirring is intermittent, sometimes going several fillups without hearing it. Then suddenly it comes back.

I haven't had a complete failure or vehicle shut off on me throughout these 7,000 miles but they never went away because of gas brand. The problem itself just seems randomly intermittent but that doesn't mean it won't come back if it's silent for awhile.

In any case, I'm nearly finalizing my buy back with Lexus. I hope to get back into an RCF in the future once later model years have all the kinks worked out. For now I am back in an ISF
Old 03-12-16, 07:10 AM
kdu
Rookie

I'm having terrible flashbacks to my BMW 335i ownership experience. Just google 335i fuel pump and you will find exactly the same arguments for or against certain fuel, etc. I can't tell you how frustrated people got by how BMW handled these problems. Again, just read some of the forum posts on the issue.

I got rid of my 335i after 6 months of ownership in 2010. At that time they refused to replace the pump until it completely died. My car was experiencing random limp modes and failed to start on some really cold mornings. Instead of really fixing the issue, BMW was using software patches to over prime the pump to reduce issues with cold starts, etc. After years of owner complaints they finally issued a recall and admitted the problem was real.

I learned two things from this experience. Every car will have problems, but how a company handles these problems is more important. This is literally one of the reasons why I now drive an RC F and not an M4. Finally, it's not us it's them. These cars are just supposed to work! Period, the end!!! If a certain fuel brand (as long as you are using correct fuel) is impacting drivability the problem is not the fuel, but the design of the fuel system. In this case I'm very confident that fuel has nothing to do with it. Either way, it's up to Lexus not us to figure it out and solve the problem.
Old 03-12-16, 02:02 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm at 10K miles and the fuel pump is failing again. This would be the 3rd time. After the 2nd failure, I hit the 30 days in the shop Lemon Law condition and Lexus has agreed a repurchase. So I am just awaiting to turn in the car and the 3rd failure came up.
Old 03-12-16, 02:06 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

I'm at 10K miles and the fuel pump is failing again. This would be the 3rd time. After the 2nd failure, I hit the 30 days in the shop Lemon Law condition and Lexus has agreed a repurchase. So I am just awaiting to turn in the car and the 3rd failure came up.

I don't think it is a gas issue. I've always put 93 octane in her. I think the fuel pump has to do with the design of the part itself or some other part. The noise comes back after 15 minutes, but it does not come up immediately right after cold start up. Even with this noise, the car is operational. That means that the pump is about to fail or there are 2 pumps?
Old 03-12-16, 02:10 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Originally Posted by kdu
I'm having terrible flashbacks to my BMW 335i ownership experience. Just google 335i fuel pump and you will find exactly the same arguments for or against certain fuel, etc. I can't tell you how frustrated people got by how BMW handled these problems. Again, just read some of the forum posts on the issue.

I got rid of my 335i after 6 months of ownership in 2010. At that time they refused to replace the pump until it completely died. My car was experiencing random limp modes and failed to start on some really cold mornings. Instead of really fixing the issue, BMW was using software patches to over prime the pump to reduce issues with cold starts, etc. After years of owner complaints they finally issued a recall and admitted the problem was real.

I learned two things from this experience. Every car will have problems, but how a company handles these problems is more important. This is literally one of the reasons why I now drive an RC F and not an M4. Finally, it's not us it's them. These cars are just supposed to work! Period, the end!!! If a certain fuel brand (as long as you are using correct fuel) is impacting drivability the problem is not the fuel, but the design of the fuel system. In this case I'm very confident that fuel has nothing to do with it. Either way, it's up to Lexus not us to figure it out and solve the problem.
My wife has a 335xi 2009, no fuel pump issues whatsoever. But, yes I have heard of these fuel pump issues with the e90s.
Old 03-13-16, 05:14 PM
FLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Mind sharing the dealer? As you are also in Texas...
Yes I am in Texas. It was North Park Lexus {Dominion}

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump