RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 07:35 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

So drove my car this morning. Not feeling the hesitation like before but didn't get to push it much since I am in morning commute traffic. Wasn't hearing the same high frequency whine/noise as yesterday, either. So the issue was only yesterday so far. I pray it was just a fluke and smooth sailing here on out
Old 03-16-16, 09:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great info Finally..!!! Lobuxracer

Did you mean the Fuel Pressure regulator is the same unit across those models??

The RC F has its own part number for the fuel pump...

So does the IS F, shared with a few other models.

Joe Z
Yep. Saw that. Bet money the Denso part number on the pump is identical though.
Old 03-16-16, 10:38 AM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

got car back. smells like oil and fuel. Do they get to the pump from inside?
Jerks left windows open over night. maybe that caused the smell.
Tried filling up and I get the clicks from the pump as if the tank was full. Barely got 12g in.
Will have to go back probably but I want to wait and fill up again to confirm.
Does anybody know what they have to take apart to get to the fuel pump. Could they have messed something up with the fuel tank. I dont know how the pressure thing works on pumps but I never had a problem filling up
Old 03-16-16, 03:29 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mirza
got car back. smells like oil and fuel. Do they get to the pump from inside?
Jerks left windows open over night. maybe that caused the smell.
Tried filling up and I get the clicks from the pump as if the tank was full. Barely got 12g in.
Will have to go back probably but I want to wait and fill up again to confirm.
Does anybody know what they have to take apart to get to the fuel pump. Could they have messed something up with the fuel tank. I dont know how the pressure thing works on pumps but I never had a problem filling up
They remove the rear seat and essentially work inside your car. The smell is unavoidable.
...and that's why your window was left down.
Old 03-16-16, 03:41 PM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bit of an update for everyone...

I've got to talk to a Lexus customer service rep for my fuel pump case yesterday. It was a follow-up since I've already got my 1st pump replaced.

The word right now is that there is a fix coming, ETA 4wks, and that estimated time frame was given to the rep about 2wks ago... so maybe within 2wks we will get a fix of some sort.

my 1st pump got replaced at 10k miles. 2nd pump started to make the noise at 1.4k miles... but unlike the 1st pump, the noise comes and goes at random.
Old 03-16-16, 04:32 PM
BLKTONY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
So drove my car this morning. Not feeling the hesitation like before but didn't get to push it much since I am in morning commute traffic. Wasn't hearing the same high frequency whine/noise as yesterday, either. So the issue was only yesterday so far. I pray it was just a fluke and smooth sailing here on out
Your inbox is full!
Old 03-16-16, 07:39 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKTONY
Your inbox is full!
It keeps filling up...haha. Emptied it out now.

Back on the matter at hand. Was able to drive my car some more. Seems okay now. Even got to play with a fiesty female behind the wheel of a C450 AMG. I knew it was slower but she kept up okay Was actually considering that car as my DD to replace my GS350 AWD in about 3 years but then I may go with an Audi SQ5 or an S4 or another GS...but there will be something newer in 3 years ...haha....but I will keep driving my RC F some more and make sure all is well with it . Hope there is some resolution for all very soon.
Old 03-17-16, 06:44 AM
mirza
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
They remove the rear seat and essentially work inside your car. The smell is unavoidable.
...and that's why your window was left down.
Im pretty sure they didnt seal something correctly and I had gasoline fumes in the car after its been parked for a few hours in the sun. I took it back this morning to take care of it.
Advisor told me to expect the fuel smell for a few days. I told them that my 3 month old 70k car shouldnt smell like gasoline and that they need to take care of it.
A little bit rude but they said that they will detail it and make sure there is no fuel getting into the cabin.
I hope I dont have to deal with them again. Stuff like this is the reason I dont drive BMW anymore.
Old 03-17-16, 06:49 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Im pretty sure they didnt seal something correctly and I had gasoline fumes in the car after its been parked for a few hours in the sun. I took it back this morning to take care of it.
Advisor told me to expect the fuel smell for a few days. I told them that my 3 month old 70k car shouldnt smell like gasoline and that they need to take care of it.
A little bit rude but they said that they will detail it and make sure there is no fuel getting into the cabin.
I hope I dont have to deal with them again. Stuff like this is the reason I dont drive BMW anymore.
The age and price of your car have nothing to do with the inevitable odors that are caused during repairs. That kind of comment will probably get your car scratched while "detailing".

If its so bad, you can always clean it yourself!

As for the fix, glad to hear that lexus apparently has a solution on the way!
Old 03-17-16, 08:09 AM
mirza
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
The age and price of your car have nothing to do with the inevitable odors that are caused during repairs. That kind of comment will probably get your car scratched while "detailing".

If its so bad, you can always clean it yourself!

As for the fix, glad to hear that lexus apparently has a solution on the way!
So you think its fine that the car has potentially fumes from the tank coming into the driver cabin?
Sorry but if I wanted a car that smells like gas I would have gotten a moded 1985 fox body and not a luxury brand where you expect a certain level of quality from service to the car itself.
Lexus has one of the most expensive maintenance and service costs. I don't think I asked for something that is unreasonable. Having some smell is ok. Having it get stronger and getting headaches is not ok
Old 03-17-16, 08:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

So you think its fine that the car has potentially fumes from the tank coming into the driver cabin?
Sorry but if I wanted a car that smells like gas I would have gotten a moded 1985 fox body and not a luxury brand where you expect a certain level of quality from service to the car itself.
Lexus has one of the most expensive maintenance and service costs. I don't think I asked for something that is unreasonable. Having some smell is ok. Having it get stronger and getting headaches is not ok
Have you ever worked on a car or tore it down?

When fluids are exposed, they leave residue and smell. The gas tank had to be opened to pull the pump. If its opened, where do you think the fuel vapors go? Gasoline vapors take time to dissipate. You could always pull your inside lining and clean it yourself. It would take you a couple hours I suppose.
Febreze it lol

So I'll say one last time. How much you paid for it, and how much it costs to maintain it...changes NOTHING. You open a gas tank, you get fuel vapor. Plain and simple.

Finally, I wouldn't go insulting old fox bodies, they have already lasted 30 yrs, and will probably outlast your RC-F. Hell, they will probably out survive most of us.
Old 03-17-16, 10:35 AM
mirza
Rookie

Swacer I want you as a customer. when the car is dirty from my greasy fingers from changing your oil I will hand you a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and a can of febreze and tell you to clean it up... Anyways. I think we can both agree that the fox body is awesome and that a $250 fuel pump problem is not a big problem to have. I still love the car and cant wait to get behind the wheel again.
Old 03-17-16, 08:08 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swacer I want you as a customer. when the car is dirty from my greasy fingers from changing your oil I will hand you a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and a can of febreze and tell you to clean it up... Anyways. I think we can both agree that the fox body is awesome and that a $250 fuel pump problem is not a big problem to have. I still love the car and cant wait to get behind the wheel again.
I had fuel vapor odors in my car after the first fuel pump replacement as well but I think that's normal and it goes away once you drive with the windows down for awhile. But one thing that I expereienced was it turned out they didn't re-assemble everything together correctly as my fuel sending unit was disconnected and my fuel tank shows empty even though i had a full tank.

Maybe your car is full but the gauge shows empty and thats why the fuel dispenser cuts off at the pump.
Old 03-18-16, 04:24 PM
mkivowner
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh4nh
I'm at 10K miles and the fuel pump is failing again. This would be the 3rd time. After the 2nd failure, I hit the 30 days in the shop Lemon Law condition and Lexus has agreed a repurchase. So I am just awaiting to turn in the car and the 3rd failure came up.

I don't think it is a gas issue. I've always put 93 octane in her. I think the fuel pump has to do with the design of the part itself or some other part. The noise comes back after 15 minutes, but it does not come up immediately right after cold start up. Even with this noise, the car is operational. That means that the pump is about to fail or there are 2 pumps?

Kh4nh, do you still have the car with you? or back to the shop?

Old 03-25-16, 10:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Why has this thread dead? This was very informational and Gatie was a strong advocate to helping everyone actually get this fixed.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump