RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 05:16 AM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine never made a noise that I'm aware of, all of a sudden just wouldn't turn over and start and that was at 3000 miles.

I called 800-25-Lexus and spoke with Lexus Customer Service, asked them to cover my payment while waiting for parts to come in, they're going to see how long it takes to get my car fixed and then let me know.

My wheels are gonna be here next week, and I'm gonna have to put them on my loaner car hahah, but really that's not funny.
Old 05-21-15, 06:21 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zydan
Mine never made a noise that I'm aware of, all of a sudden just wouldn't turn over and start and that was at 3000 miles.

I called 800-25-Lexus and spoke with Lexus Customer Service, asked them to cover my payment while waiting for parts to come in, they're going to see how long it takes to get my car fixed and then let me know.

My wheels are gonna be here next week, and I'm gonna have to put them on my loaner car hahah, but really that's not funny.
That sucks, hopefully the first time they fix it works mine is going for its second fuel pump
Old 05-21-15, 06:26 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

No, its not funny. Fuel pump issue seems very benign at first blush, but can be a major problem as seen with the chronic high pressure fuel pumps on the X35s. BMW has had to lemon a lot of cars since 08/09 ish and there are still high pressure fuel pump issues. BMW tried to blame American gas early in, but the failure rate was the same in other countries including Germany.

Not sure why high pressure fuel pump is so difficult for BMaw to resolve on its turbos when manufacturers such as Porsche have no fuel pump issues in its turbo and high performance engines. Stay on top if Lexus at the corporate, not dealer level, and keep us updated. Hopefully, this is a few one off issues or an issue that will be quickly resolved.

Is Lexus fuel pump outsourced or a Bosch part?
Old 06-10-15, 06:37 PM
boriii
Rookie

Originally Posted by jmcc09
About a month ago I took my RC-F in for the wing issue, days before that I had noticed that the car was kind of noisy like if there was a cooling fan kicking, obviously I checked my gauges everything read normal so when I got to the dealership I mentioned the above said, they looked into they found that it was the fuel pump making the noise and that it was pushing out black gunk from its internal components the shop foreman at my dealership said it wasn't the fuel tank, they ended up having to order a new fuel pump which took about 3 weeks to come in, anyone else had that same issue? also apparently my RC-F runs on synthetic blend oil according to my dealership it's the only one with that oil type as its supposed to be fully synthetic any thoughts on that?
Started making the same exact noise today and dropped it off at the dealer. ~6900 miles.

Update: Car is on a parts hold waiting for a fuel pump.

Last edited by boriii; 06-11-15 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 10:27 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Not the dreaded fuel pump issue again.. This was a big problem on the ISF and now it seems like it is a problem for the RCF.. Just remember that the dealerships should fix this issue at no cost to you guys!!

-Josh
Old 06-11-15, 11:11 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going on a roadtrip in August, ordered a spare fuel pump just in case. My dealer hadn't seen any come in yet though with this issue.
Old 06-12-15, 04:23 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
I'm going on a roadtrip in August, ordered a spare fuel pump just in case. My dealer hadn't seen any come in yet though with this issue.
I had my RC F in for the 1,000 check up, mentioned the fuel pump, and they did a thorough visual examination and diagnostic. I'm not having this issue. For that matter, I am not having an issue with the seat belt and the leather on the seat.
Old 06-12-15, 08:37 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I had my RC F in for the 1,000 check up, mentioned the fuel pump, and they did a thorough visual examination and diagnostic. I'm not having this issue. For that matter, I am not having an issue with the seat belt and the leather on the seat.
I would recommend you to keep an eye on it, because when it happened to me I had about 4,000 miles and most of the other owners with the issue have been around the same mileage.
Old 06-13-15, 04:58 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcc09
I would recommend you to keep an eye on it, because when it happened to me I had about 4,000 miles and most of the other owners with the issue have been around the same mileage.
Absolutely. I have already asked the dealership to stock 1-2 fuel pumps (hopefully replacements) for the few RC F drivers in my neck of the woods.
Old 06-13-15, 06:38 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I Don't know if this would be considered a Problem, but the Only issue i've noticed is a couple of times that i've washed my wheels & dried them & let it set up overnite , the next day when i went to leave in it it wouldn't go forward or backward! It FELT just like you would have the Emergency Brake on & there was a Resistance. Finally after calling the Dealer cause i didn't want something to Break (after talking to about 4 different employees none of them had a clue but one told me to just give it more gas) & sure enuff'' it let loose but with a LOUD Pop just like something did Break but i guess it hasn't yet. It drives fine but it's happened twice now & i was just wondering if anybody has ever had this happen!
Old 06-13-15, 08:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I Don't know if this would be considered a Problem, but the Only issue i've noticed is a couple of times that i've washed my wheels & dried them & let it set up overnite , the next day when i went to leave in it it wouldn't go forward or backward! It FELT just like you would have the Emergency Brake on & there was a Resistance. Finally after calling the Dealer cause i didn't want something to Break (after talking to about 4 different employees none of them had a clue but one told me to just give it more gas) & sure enuff'' it let loose but with a LOUD Pop just like something did Break but i guess it hasn't yet. It drives fine but it's happened twice now & i was just wondering if anybody has ever had this happen!
I get the same thing with my IS after a wash and let it dry for hours. Same with my past RX's and the NX currently. I believe it's the surface rust that forms (after a wash) on the rotors seizing the brake pads which are so close in clearance to the rotors. Besides the "painful" thump after the initial move, there's no harm done from my experience. However, I do try to move the car after I wash the car and brake even if it's just a couple feet to prevent the lock. Now of course, the RC F has Brembos, but the symptoms seem to be the same.
Old 06-13-15, 09:18 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I get the same thing with my IS after a wash and let it dry for hours. Same with my past RX's and the NX currently. I believe it's the surface rust that forms (after a wash) on the rotors seizing the brake pads which are so close in clearance to the rotors. Besides the "painful" thump after the initial move, there's no harm done from my experience. However, I do try to move the car after I wash the car and brake even if it's just a couple feet to prevent the lock. Now of course, the RC F has Brembos, but the symptoms seem to be the same.
Thanks Corrado (i think of the Sopranos when i hear that name, Lol)! But, yep it seems like you've experienced the same thing i was talking about! one of the guys i talked to at the dealership said they will do that sometimes when they've been setting on the lot for 3-4 days & the Rust thing is probably part of it, But Over Nite!
Old 06-14-15, 10:17 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Thanks Corrado (i think of the Sopranos when i hear that name, Lol)! But, yep it seems like you've experienced the same thing i was talking about! one of the guys i talked to at the dealership said they will do that sometimes when they've been setting on the lot for 3-4 days & the Rust thing is probably part of it, But Over Nite!
The rotors braking area is raw iron / steel... It's normal for it to rust immediately after it's been wet and dries..

Solution, move your car after your done shooting water on the wheels to rinse

Joe Z
Old 06-15-15, 06:53 AM
Zydan
Driver

I got my car back Friday before last, seemed as if the car was having a delayed start after, taking an extra second to turnover, so I took back in this past Friday, they double checked everything and said it's all fine, so hopefully I dont' go through it again.

Hope no one else experiences this, especially a 2nd time.
Old 06-15-15, 09:32 AM
boriii
Rookie

I got my car back Friday before last, seemed as if the car was having a delayed start after, taking an extra second to turnover, so I took back in this past Friday, they double checked everything and said it's all fine, so hopefully I dont' go through it again.

Hope no one else experiences this, especially a 2nd time.
I had the same experience before the fuel pump went out. Think I experienced the delayed start almost a month before the fuel pump went out.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump