RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 10:16 AM
jbwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the sound of fuel pumps. I've got a 62 Dodge Slant Six with a crazy loud fuel pump and just love knowing that it's pumping tons of fuel and doing what it's made to do.

*EDIT*

I have been using Shell V Power lately and did notice that it is much more noisy with the Shell fuel. I switched back to 100% Premium Gas with no ethanol this week and the fuel pump is hardly audible.

Last edited by jbwilmoth; 08-11-16 at 07:53 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 08-22-16, 06:38 PM
jbwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went in for service today and they told me I needed an update for my car. Now the fuel pump noise is gone and I'm not gonna lie, the car runs way better than it did. I am eating my words now because I was on the just drive the car bandwagon,but the improvement in acceleration, idle and shifting is phenomenal. The hesitation is also gone.
Old 08-23-16, 08:11 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

What's the deal with Shell gas? Anybody know?

Any other brand of gas I need to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by jbwilmoth
I actually like the sound of fuel pumps. I've got a 62 Dodge Slant Six with a crazy loud fuel pump and just love knowing that it's pumping tons of fuel and doing what it's made to do.

*EDIT*

I have been using Shell V Power lately and did notice that it is much more noisy with the Shell fuel. I switched back to 100% Premium Gas with no ethanol this week and the fuel pump is hardly audible.
Old 08-23-16, 08:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I can't wait to get my ECU "flashed ". 🙌👻💨💡👌🔩🔧🔨🚘🚀🔜

Originally Posted by jbwilmoth
So I went in for service today and they told me I needed an update for my car. Now the fuel pump noise is gone and I'm not gonna lie, the car runs way better than it did. I am eating my words now because I was on the just drive the car bandwagon,but the improvement in acceleration, idle and shifting is phenomenal. The hesitation is also gone.
Old 09-02-16, 09:19 PM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had the hesitation issue since day 1 - I drive in manual mode Sport+/Expert 24/7. Lexus has no fix for the hesitation issue at this time. The dealer loaded the updated fuel pump software in the hopes that it might solve the issue, unfortunately the problem remains. The transmission does seem to shift a bit more aggressively, not sure if that is the new software or just the prior adaptation being erased.
Old 09-03-16, 01:51 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I recently had my RC-F ECU FLASHED and all good. No hesitations.

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
Have had the hesitation issue since day 1 - I drive in manual mode Sport+/Expert 24/7. Lexus has no fix for the hesitation issue at this time. The dealer loaded the updated fuel pump software in the hopes that it might solve the issue, unfortunately the problem remains. The transmission does seem to shift a bit more aggressively, not sure if that is the new software or just the prior adaptation being erased.
Old 09-03-16, 10:52 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
What's the deal with Shell gas? Anybody know?

Any other brand of gas I need to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
I have had zero problems with Shell V Power. I currently use that in the RC F and GX460.
Old 09-04-16, 08:07 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the ECU flashed on Friday during a 10k service. They seemed puzzled when I described the "noise" (I didn't really have one) and told them about the TSIB that I researched.

They came back and called it a "Fuel pump low pressure calibration". After 30 min, they came back a second time and said the'll need a few hours as their system "lost communication".

Picked it up and took it on a 30 mile, round trip canyon drive and so far, ZERO hesitation. Like getting a free mod. lol.

Last edited by lexusnutt; 09-04-16 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Additional details
Old 09-04-16, 01:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ Nice! Not yet available in Canada as per my Service Manager. Only a matter of time though and will get it done when available.
Old 09-05-16, 02:36 AM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I had the ECU flashed on Friday during a 10k service. They seemed puzzled when I described the "noise" (I didn't really have one) and told them about the TSIB that I researched.

They came back and called it a "Fuel pump low pressure calibration". After 30 min, they came back a second time and said the'll need a few hours as their system "lost communication".

Picked it up and took it on a 30 mile, round trip canyon drive and so far, ZERO hesitation. Like getting a free mod. lol.
Can you please describe your prior hesitation issue? Thanks
Old 09-05-16, 07:36 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
Can you please describe your prior hesitation issue? Thanks
The hesitation was most noticeable when making turns really in any gear or any mode (normal, sport or sport +). There was a momentary unresponsiveness when giving it gas coming out of the turn.

Another note that may have been mentioned here already, post flash, the idle increased around 200 to 700-800 RPM and seems a little smoother.
Old 09-05-16, 02:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes. I did the reflash also. All good.

One thing I noticed is a slight drop in MPG. In ECO, I tested on a 65 miless nonstop road trip going about 70 mph and got like 27 mpg versus previously 30.5 mpg on the same road trip on relatively flat drive with minimal traffic. With Sports +, it is difficult for me to tell since I tend to switch to manual and play around with rev matching down shifts and just want to hear the engine.

Still no regrets bc I did not buy the RC-F for the mpg. The CT200h and the RX450h do a fine job in that department.

Old 09-05-16, 05:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes. I did the reflash also. All good.

One thing I noticed is a slight drop in MPG. In ECO, I tested on a 65 miless nonstop road trip going about 70 mph and got like 27 mpg versus previously 30.5 mpg on the same road trip on relatively flat drive with minimal traffic. With Sports +, it is difficult for me to tell since I tend to switch to manual and play around with rev matching down shifts and just want to hear the engine.

Still no regrets bc I did not buy the RC-F for the mpg. The CT200h and the RX450h do a fine job in that department.

Haha,exactly and same reason why I have the HS as my daily driver for my traffic-laden 30 mile commute!
Old 09-06-16, 07:37 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Here is the paperwork I got after the fuel pump ECU reflash........

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Haha,exactly and same reason why I have the HS as my daily driver for my traffic-laden 30 mile commute!
Attached Thumbnails RC-F Fuel Pump-rc-f-10k-miles-service-with-fuel-pump-ecu-reflash_08.23.2016.jpg  
Old 09-06-16, 11:37 PM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

The hesitation was most noticeable when making turns really in any gear or any mode (normal, sport or sport +). There was a momentary unresponsiveness when giving it gas coming out of the turn.

Another note that may have been mentioned here already, post flash, the idle increased around 200 to 700-800 RPM and seems a little smoother.
Post flash, my car feels like it responds instantaneously when I press the throttle whereas before there was a slight lag. The hesitation I'm describing happens occasionally shortly after pressing the throttle, there is a momentary hesitation anywhere between 1-4K rpm's. You can see the tach needle drop slightly and feel/hear the hesitation when it happens. That hesitation is the same pre and post flash.

Last edited by dbturbo2; 09-06-16 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Error

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump