RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 07:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ISF001
You might want to research a bit more than fuel pumps.

You are considering ditching the F over a fuel pump? *Haha. The C63 is having plenty of issues: *intake manifold leaks, rattling navigation screens and sunroofs, melting tires, side mirror replacement, broken fog lights, high pressure hose failure, squeaking seats, s mode engagement after abrupt stops, car going dead after abrupt stops, check coolant warnings upon cold starts...seems like REAL hit or miss quality on builds. *

I am done with the Germans.
could you link me to some of those problems. im actually cross-shopping the C63S and the GSF for purchase, next year. so far, i've only been able to find anecdotal references to the incidents that you mentioned.

are there multi-page threads on these specific problems where a lot of members are experiencing them?

thanx in advance...
Old 07-23-15, 08:24 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
You might want to research a bit more than fuel pumps.

You are considering ditching the F over a fuel pump? *Haha. The C63 is having plenty of issues: *intake manifold leaks, rattling navigation screens and sunroofs, melting tires, side mirror replacement, broken fog lights, high pressure hose failure, squeaking seats, s mode engagement after abrupt stops, car going dead after abrupt stops, check coolant warnings upon cold starts...seems like REAL hit or miss quality on builds. *

I am done with the Germans.
I believe the melting tires is fixed by a little less right foot....

Last edited by F1nALMSfan; 07-23-15 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 09:54 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My second fuel pump just starting humming like crazy. Much louder than before. Had the first fuel pump replaced at 6900 miles and now 1000 miles later, the second one is done. One more to go and I can lemon.
Old 07-25-15, 12:10 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by boriii
My second fuel pump just starting humming like crazy. Much louder than before. Had the first fuel pump replaced at 6900 miles and now 1000 miles later, the second one is done. One more to go and I can lemon.
Dang! Don't you get a certain amount of total days for the same repair along with the 3rd fix? Ive been waiting on a wire harness that I paid over 700$ for 3-4 weeks ago (sorta my fault it got damaged ). what a disappointment you must be feeling. Sorry man.
Old 07-25-15, 01:07 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Lets just hope they get a fix quicker than BMW did, except be nice if you guys with two down times get a third and a new car out of it. That might light a fire under their ***.

Blows me away that fuel pumps are such issue for certain cars. There are so many high performance cars these days with much higher demands on fuel pumps than that imposed by the 335 engine or even the NA RC F engine that have no problems whatsoever. Seems like it should be a quick and easy fix. Lexus threatening to change brands would light a huge fire under their ***.
Old 07-25-15, 01:10 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

That said, I am getting close to 9k. Maybe you guys just need to drive like you stole it like me.

My spoiler has been up since about 1,500 miles, but I like it better up so don't care . . .
Old 07-30-15, 01:34 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add another one to the fuel pump issue. Mine started making the humming noise yesterday, but this morning I did not hear it on my way to work. Regardless, I will be back at the dealer this Saturday, AGAIN. Was just there last weekend to have the wing issue repaired, which they overlooked 4 screws/clips on the inside of the trunk liner. They also left a bolt inside the trunk which I can hear banging around every time I open and close the trunk.

In the past 4 months of ownership I've also taken the car in for:
-Squeaky brakes 3 times, they've never replaced anything. "Working as designed" is what they say.
-To have the door edge guards re-installed because they were too high and started to peel off.
-Low engine oil light came on, they added oil and had me return 1,000 miles later for "inspection".... all they did was change the oil and filter when I went back.
-To inspect an exhaust rattle coming from the middle of the car, which they couldn't hear, but magically went away after they inspected the entire car. They probably tightened everything and that took care of it.

Seems like most of us active on the forums are having similar mechanical issues, I wonder how many other owners not on the forums are going through similar problems.
Old 07-30-15, 05:58 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Add another one to the fuel pump issue. Mine started making the humming noise yesterday, but this morning I did not hear it on my way to work. Regardless, I will be back at the dealer this Saturday, AGAIN. Was just there last weekend to have the wing issue repaired, which they overlooked 4 screws/clips on the inside of the trunk liner. They also left a bolt inside the trunk which I can hear banging around every time I open and close the trunk.

In the past 4 months of ownership I've also taken the car in for:
-Squeaky brakes 3 times, they've never replaced anything. "Working as designed" is what they say.
-To have the door edge guards re-installed because they were too high and started to peel off.
-Low engine oil light came on, they added oil and had me return 1,000 miles later for "inspection".... all they did was change the oil and filter when I went back.
-To inspect an exhaust rattle coming from the middle of the car, which they couldn't hear, but magically went away after they inspected the entire car. They probably tightened everything and that took care of it.

Seems like most of us active on the forums are having similar mechanical issues, I wonder how many other owners not on the forums are going through similar problems.

Not sure how low engine oil low light / rattle and squeaky brakes are mechanical issues. I guess you have never owned a BMW or Audi

I also had the low oil light around 1000 miles, I added a QT and it went away WOW 4500 miles no light, prob just low from the dealer.

ANY car no matter WHAT price will have a few little issues, when it stops running and you have to tow it then that's a issue. Maybe get something like a corolla or Camry I am sure they have less issues because they sell 1 million of them, if you want ANY performance car you will have issues no matter 70k or 600k.
Old 08-02-15, 06:43 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as to how you guys with the fuel pump issues broke in your car, and how you drive on a regular basis.

I got my car at less than 5km and IMMEDIATELY took it to redline and over 100mph (worked through the rev range once warmed up). I've always broken my cars in hard and have yet to have any issues with ring seals, blow by or low compression across cylinders.

I'm at 2000km and have yet to hear any whirring/whining
Old 08-02-15, 06:51 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
I'm curious as to how you guys with the fuel pump issues broke in your car, and how you drive on a regular basis.

I got my car at less than 5km and IMMEDIATELY took it to redline and over 100mph (worked through the rev range once warmed up). I've always broken my cars in hard and have yet to have any issues with ring seals, blow by or low compression across cylinders.

I'm at 2000km and have yet to hear any whirring/whining
Same I hit redline daily and have 4500 miles and 0 issues.
Old 08-02-15, 07:53 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Same I hit redline daily and have 4500 miles and 0 issues.
Same, no problem. 9000 miles. Bye the way I use Shell V-Power Nitro.
I dont redline it everyday like Ryamncd but I do drive it hard. Most of the miles were created on long roadtrips at freeway speeds.
Old 08-02-15, 10:00 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Same, no problem. 9000 miles. Bye the way I use Shell V-Power Nitro.
I dont redline it everyday like Ryamncd but I do drive it hard. Most of the miles were created on long roadtrips at freeway speeds.
Shell or the Costco gas here.
Old 08-02-15, 11:04 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

i recently purchased and received an OEM RCF fuel pump so if mine dies i have a back up. it is not for sale just incase toyota comes out with a replacement part. I am thinking about send the pump out to be looked at by an aftermarket company that builds better high end pumps
Old 08-02-15, 11:31 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

A while back, I received a bulletin thingy in the mail from Porsche Cars of North America for the Carrera GT that I purchased new in 05. Had not thought about this until today as I sold the CGT a while back.

Anyway, the Carrera GT was apparently have some fuel pump issues related to ethanol content in gasoline. This was apparently causing fuel pump diaphragm deterioration. I recall there being a recommendation by PCNA about ethanol treatment being added, maybe something like Sta-bil ethanol fuel treatment.

May be worth a try for some us to run a bottle every once in a while or avoid gas with high ethanol content.
Old 08-02-15, 12:17 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
A while back, I received a bulletin thingy in the mail from Porsche Cars of North America for the Carrera GT that I purchased new in 05. Had not thought about this until today as I sold the CGT a while back.

Anyway, the Carrera GT was apparently have some fuel pump issues related to ethanol content in gasoline. This was apparently causing fuel pump diaphragm deterioration. I recall there being a recommendation by PCNA about ethanol treatment being added, maybe something like Sta-bil ethanol fuel treatment.

May be worth a try for some us to run a bottle every once in a while or avoid gas with high ethanol content.
You had a CGT? My goodness!!! Why'd you sell it???

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump