RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 12:26 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
You had a CGT? My goodness!!! Why'd you sell it???
Yep, I wish I still had it, the 993tt I sold for $ 68 in 2004 and the 94 964 3.6T that I sold for $ 55,00 in 2003. Prices today are insane.
Old 08-09-15, 08:33 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You had a CGT? My goodness!!! Why'd you sell it???
I purchased one of the later cars. Black Teracotta, I think it was 1025. I had a real good relationship with a dealer that took a deposit on the car The purchaser backed out, I am assuming when demand wained and prices began to sputter a bit. Dealer sold it to me at sticker minus deposit and holdback. I purchased it new for $ 398K, listed it on eBay for sticker and flipped it a week later at full sticker for a $ 50k profit. I had a paint to sample (one-off) Midnight Blue CGT lined up in Connecticut from owner of dealership I had a relationship with from racing at Lime Rock. Blue is my favorite color. I ended opting for a Tour De France 360 Challenge Stradale and money for the racing budget that year.
Old 08-21-15, 02:26 PM
number13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Zydan
Shoot, I just had the same issue, car wouldn't start Thursday. Dealership dropped me off s loaner and picked up my RC-F, they called me said fuel pump needs to be replaced and wire harness. Part is not in stock in US and have to order from Japan, 2-4 weeks, I'm going to show them this thread tomorrow.
Had the fuel pump replaced twice. It is now at the dealership for the third replacement for this same fuel pump issue. Lexus needs to get this problem fixed soon.
Old 08-21-15, 02:42 PM
Futuristic
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that! Must be very frustrating. What did the service adviser say to you this time? Did the car just didn't start?
Old 08-21-15, 07:52 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by number13
Had the fuel pump replaced twice. It is now at the dealership for the third replacement for this same fuel pump issue. Lexus needs to get this problem fixed soon.
That does not make sense... how have you gone through 3 fuel pumps and I have yet to have any issues.

The fuel pump cannot be the root cause, there has to be something else causing the issue.
Old 08-21-15, 10:21 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 2 replaced so far and was told by the lexus techs and my dealer service managers that it's a known issue and lexus is working on getting a new pump out.
Old 08-22-15, 08:50 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by number13

Can't you Lemon Law the car after the 3rd failure?
Old 08-22-15, 09:40 AM
number13
Driver School Candidate

Can't you Lemon Law the car after the 3rd failure?
Different States do not have the same Lemon Laws.
There is a Federal Lemon Law, but that is a whole different story.

This is my wife's second RCF. The first never made it through day two. The check engine light came on when she attempted to start it. I don't have the time to explain all the details. The dealership exchanged it for the next one that came in. This is the car having the fuel pump issues.
I know a gentleman who also bought his wife an RCF. We rode together in both cars. His was not making the noise. He distinctly heard the noise on my wife's car. This was after the first replacement.
My wife has subsequently tried different fuel manufacturers. Same results.
Lexus knows they are having a problem.
Old 08-22-15, 09:52 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Stupid question: Is the RCF direct fuel injected? If not, can't believe a regular 50-psi pump is failing 3 times after decades of being used. And on a Lexus. But if it's been the 3rd, you should have the right to lemon-law the car in most states if dealer doesn't accomodate you with a new car. Good luck.
Old 08-25-15, 11:22 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Surprised to see so many quality issues with the RCF.
Can somebody elaborate on this, besides the fuel pump? I usually shy away from first-year models for this reason. And we're so late into the year that was thinking of waiting for 2016s. Is there a 'safe' buid-date on these cars, to hopefully clear the issues? Most cars I have access to have been sitting in lots for at least a month. Maybe they're prone to problems still. Don't want to lose a ton of depreciation in a few weeks for not waiting on a 2016. Plus will probably have to sell the GTR on my own (and do the transaction thru dealer, to count as trade-in), and that will take me time. Just curious what kind of issues are possible. Just know about the fuel pump (I assume the high-pressure DI one, correct?) and noisy headliners. Thx.
Old 08-25-15, 11:34 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Can somebody elaborate on this, besides the fuel pump? I usually shy away from first-year models for this reason. And we're so late into the year that was thinking of waiting for 2016s. Is there a 'safe' buid-date on these cars, to hopefully clear the issues? Most cars I have access to have been sitting in lots for at least a month. Maybe they're prone to problems still. Don't want to lose a ton of depreciation in a few weeks for not waiting on a 2016. Plus will probably have to sell the GTR on my own (and do the transaction thru dealer, to count as trade-in), and that will take me time. Just curious what kind of issues are possible. Just know about the fuel pump (I assume the high-pressure DI one, correct?) and noisy headliners. Thx.

A build date will not impact the cars, this is a supplier problem. So until Lexus determines this is a trend (which I dont' think they officially have), and is able to stop getting more pumps from their supplier, there won't be a cutoff. Some owners have no problems at all. Which means it could have been a single batch of pumps that are sitting at a warehouse that is only used so much, so tracing the issue may actually take quite a while.

Also, keep in mind this forum only details probably 20% of the owners of RC-Fs or less. And then you have 20% of the 20% who are having fuel pump issues. That really isn't that many. Its a first year car, there will be bumps, but a fuel pump really isn't a big deal. If its a concern, open up a Jegs catalog, determine the right size, and order one to put into your car yourself.

Last edited by Swacer; 08-25-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 11:39 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I have not seen anything as to a permanent fix on the fuel pump issue, however I am not sure it is completely a widespread issue. I don't have numbers to confirm or deny that however. As far as the malfunctioning spoiler issue, that had a set number of associated VINs and newer RC Fs should not have that issue. Also, there is a known fix for the cars that do have the spoiler issue.

Outside of that, the noisy headliners I had in both of my prior ISFs and I will say I have a slightly similar noise in the RC F, although it is much less noticeable.

Some people have had concerns about the leather of the seats and others of the pilling nature of the alcantara trim pieces. I have not had these issues.
Old 08-26-15, 12:42 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I have not had these issues.
Thanks guys. Then I'm not worried about any of that. My spoiler will stay deployed all the time, I think. Looks nicer in C/F against white deployed IMO, and you avoid extra wear and tear. A win-win. A noisy headliner I can fix. Alcantara is not going to be an issue; I'm used to it, and know how to handle and care for it. The only potential issue is the fuel pump, but it's not going to leave us standed, and it's simple to fix, so no biggie. Take care.
Old 08-26-15, 03:00 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So 2 people out of the hundreds that post here have issues so now the car sucks lol at least it's not a hellcat recall of everyone or a motor swap like in the GT3, could be a lot worse.
Old 10-06-15, 02:03 PM
6i9
Driver

Anyone actually get stranded by their fuel pumps? I am starting to hear my new replacement pump make the same noise as the original one. The dealer says they "cant replicate it" and therefore aren't replacing it and it is fine to drive.

I dont want to face a situation where I get stranded in order to get this taken care of. My RCF ownership so far has been.. mixed.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump