RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 10:33 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Man, this is the SAME thing i was thinkin'. That would SUCK to keep having to go thru that, especially since my dealer is around 90 miles from me.
I don't have one so I'm just stirring the pot a bit. However, I'd have a whole different mental outlook if this was a third failure.
1. You get the dealership to come & get the car & bring a loaner. Training day for THIS dog is over. Not going back three times for the same issue.
"Hey look, a fuel pump breaks & he comes back again and again and again."
Old 10-20-15, 09:05 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

UPDATE:
My dealer replaced the fuel pump in my RCF with 4,400 miles on it.
Sounds and drives great,
Tech told me that the car has one electronic and two mechanical fuel pumps. The electronic pump in the fuel tank was the one causing the noise.
Dealer told me that so far as they know, this issue does not appear to be universal or widespread, but it is certainly an issue on this board. Too early to tell if this is a design defect or only an issue involving a small range of the pumps manufactured. I wonder what percentage of all the RCFs produced have this issue.
What is distressing however, are the members here that had their fuel pumps replaced and the problem came up again.
I imagine whatever the problem is, Lexus wants it resolved, just as we all do.
Old 10-21-15, 11:45 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
Tech told me that the car has one electronic and two mechanical fuel pumps.
Cars haven't had mechanical fuel pumps for decades. And there're no 'electronic' fuel pumps; only electric. Wonder what your tech meant. Most high-pressure direct-injection fuel pumps are right by the engine, so the in-tank fuel pump giving issues is probably the low-pressure port-injection one. It'd be nice to have more details.
Old 10-21-15, 05:14 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

All I can say is the tech said the pump he replaced was electronic or that is what I heard. He likely said electric (if there is no such thing as an electronic fuel pump). He also said the pump replaced was in the fuel tank.
Old 10-25-15, 12:06 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I had the first pump break early in February of this year.
Then a second one.
Now my third is humming.
18,000 miles in 10 months ownership.
Old 11-24-15, 11:49 AM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC F fuel pump issued caused engine stop

I wish that I would have jumped on this thread earlier, as I was told that my car was the only one that had this issue. On September 25, while driving 40mph, my RC F engine came to a complete halt with no warning and lost complete use of the power steering and brakes while trying to come to a halt.

When I took the car in, they stated it sounded like a fuel pump issue that was occurring with some of the other RC F's, but three weeks later they were replacing the wiring harness on the car. Is it just me, or does this seem like a hell of a lot more than just a fuel pump issue. Usually the fuel pump failures would create a sputtering/stalling effect in the engine, providing enough resources to pull over .

Has any one else had a failure to this capacity?
Old 11-24-15, 11:51 AM
Xansol
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Please take a look at my post, as I had a complete engine failure with my RC F and them claiming it was a fuel pump issue.
Old 11-24-15, 07:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Xansol
Hi,

Please take a look at my post, as I had a complete engine failure with my RC F and them claiming it was a fuel pump issue.
This is correct..!!!

Without fuel the engine will starve and shut down completely...

Was it fully repaired and fixed ??

New Fuel Pump ?? / New Harness ??

Joe Z
Old 11-25-15, 12:27 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Xansol
I wish that I would have jumped on this thread earlier, as I was told that my car was the only one that had this issue. On September 25, while driving 40mph, my RC F engine came to a complete halt with no warning and lost complete use of the power steering and brakes while trying to come to a halt.

When I took the car in, they stated it sounded like a fuel pump issue that was occurring with some of the other RC F's, but three weeks later they were replacing the wiring harness on the car. Is it just me, or does this seem like a hell of a lot more than just a fuel pump issue. Usually the fuel pump failures would create a sputtering/stalling effect in the engine, providing enough resources to pull over .

Has any one else had a failure to this capacity?
So did they diagnose and confirm your engine shutoff was due to the fuel pump or it was a larger electrical issue?

If it was the fuel pump issue resulting in a complete fuel delivery failure, then it's bogus that Lexus is claiming the fuel pump noise is not a safety issue as they have told other people (including myself)

Please let us know the exact diagnosis they gave you and if the pump was replaced.
Old 11-26-15, 09:59 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,576 Likes on 688 Posts

I just got my RC-F earlier this month and confident that it doesn't have the rear spoiler issue. But it's not a good feeling knowing that there's a good chance that the pump could fail anytime. It has 221 miles so far, picked it up with just over 30 miles. Build date is 09/15. If the pump does fail, I'll post it here right away. Sorry to hear about others' experiences and I'm crossing my fingers hoping not to have any issues. I also don't have any of the interior rattles that I've heard or read about. So far, throttle response is normal and although I have just installed an Apexi throttle controller, I'll turn it off from time to time.
Old 11-26-15, 12:26 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I just got my RC-F earlier this month and confident that it doesn't have the rear spoiler issue. But it's not a good feeling knowing that there's a good chance that the pump could fail anytime. It has 221 miles so far, picked it up with just over 30 miles. Build date is 09/15. If the pump does fail, I'll post it here right away. Sorry to hear about others' experiences and I'm crossing my fingers hoping not to have any issues. I also don't have any of the interior rattles that I've heard or read about. So far, throttle response is normal and although I have just installed an Apexi throttle controller, I'll turn it off from time to time.
Drive and enjoy. You could get run over by a semi, struck by lightning or smushed by an asteroid also.

The recurring problem on same cars could be indicative of something else in the system causing the actual failure. What do you think Joe Z, especially since it actually does not appear to be widespread. I am told that none of the RCFs sold or serviced in my area have had a fuel pump fail.

High pressure fuel pumps for new high performance engines have been an achilles heel for several mid-price manufacturers like BMW, Audi, VW and perhaps now Lexus. I never had fuel pump issues in my Porsches (turbos and GT3s) or with any of my Italians or heard of such issues in these cars.

My RCF has over 16,000 miles with only an early spoiler failure. I actually wish I would have just left it stuck up. Car looks better with it up.

Last edited by DougHII; 11-26-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-26-15, 06:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DougHII
Drive and enjoy. You could get run over by a semi, struck by lightning or smushed by an asteroid also.

The recurring problem on same cars could be indicative of something else in the system causing the actual failure. What do you think Joe Z, especially since it actually does not appear to be widespread. I am told that none of the RCFs sold or serviced in my area have had a fuel pump fail.

High pressure fuel pumps for new high performance engines have been an achilles heel for several mid-price manufacturers like BMW, Audi, VW and perhaps now Lexus. I never had fuel pump issues in my Porsches (turbos and GT3s) or with any of my Italians or heard of such issues in these cars.

My RCF has over 16,000 miles with only an early spoiler failure. I actually wish I would have just left it stuck up. Car looks better with it up.
Well to have 1 or 2 or 3 go bad on the same car can be another issue entirely... But if the physical pumps are going bad / making noise.. I would think it's a sporadic supplier problem..

I was going to say maybe fuel brand or grade.. But that's a far fetch..

Also, Lexus HQ knows about the problem... As far as I know they are still working on the issue and its an ongoing process.

On your wing, you can deploy it UP and then turn Off the feature..
The wing will remain up Full time..

Happy Thanksgiving

Joe Z
Old 11-26-15, 07:10 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well to have 1 or 2 or 3 go bad on the same car can be another issue entirely... But if the physical pumps are going bad / making noise.. I would think it's a sporadic supplier problem..

I was going to say maybe fuel brand or grade.. But that's a far fetch..

Also, Lexus HQ knows about the problem... As far as I know they are still working on the issue and its an ongoing process.

On your wing, you can deploy it UP and then turn Off the feature..
The wing will remain up Full time..

Happy Thanksgiving

Joe Z
BMW tried to blame bad fuel . . .

Awesome about wing. How do I turn off the feature? Is that through system settings?

Happy holidays/long weekend to you!
Old 11-26-15, 11:57 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
BMW tried to blame bad fuel . . .

Awesome about wing. How do I turn off the feature? Is that through system settings?

Happy holidays/long weekend to you!
To turn off, it'll be on left side of your Instrument Cluster. Search for the settings column then turn off Wing Activation while wing is up...
Old 11-27-15, 08:08 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba2sy
To turn off, it'll be on left side of your Instrument Cluster. Search for the settings column then turn off Wing Activation while wing is up...
Cool. Much appreciated. Knew about manual activation. No clue I could turn off while tail was up to keep it up. Thanks.

As much time as I spend in the car, I have yet to even try basic stuff like voice command or navigation Or scroll through features and settings to see what's there. Just get in and drive and no clue about the little niceties.

Last edited by DougHII; 11-27-15 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump