RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Hesitation when trying to accelerate after lifting off of the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15 | 09:24 AM
WayneIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by followtheF
... I was playing around with manual mode the other day, and it wasn't changing more than one gear at a time when I held the paddle. I know a few people have mentioned it so I was just curious, is there a trick to this I'm missing (certain conditions, settings, modes, etc?).

Thanks.
You must be in automatic mode, hold the shift paddle and it will drop 2-3 gears and switch you to (temporary) manual mode. In true manual mode, it will only switch one gear per press (from my experience). Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-15 | 09:50 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Originally Posted by WayneIS350
You must be in automatic mode, hold the shift paddle and it will drop 2-3 gears and switch you to (temporary) manual mode. In true manual mode, it will only switch one gear per press (from my experience). Hope that helps.
Ok thanks, I'll try that.
Old 04-13-15 | 03:32 PM
cardoc1
Driver

Default RE Hesitation

I have also had the hesitation in turns on acceleration - I think it has to do with the VVT /camshaft/eco mapping because the only time mine has done it is when I have switched the drive mode just before turning into a corner and accelerating out of that corner - goes flat one time after switching drive mode then runs normal - have driven 2 other outings aprox 100-200 miles per without switching drive modes - has not done it once. I feel certain it is not a transmission issue - the engine goes completely flat when the event happens only when switching drive mode.

Last edited by cardoc1; 04-17-15 at 02:48 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-14-15 | 02:29 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, it sounds as if it is just the auto tranny. If you want crisper more responsive downshifts, take the dang thing out of normal or use manual. Candidly, I found (and pasted on here after owning less than a week) that this auto 8 speed tranny is too sluggish on the down shift in normal and sports modes.

The solution until Lexus remaps which should should presumably be easy fix . . . drive in Sports Plus or use manual shifters in Sports or Sports Plus so this 8 speed automatic tranny is not having to kick down multiple gears immediately. Take it out of normal if you a sporty more responsive feel.

Love the RC F for what it is, but after being used to Porsche pdk, Ferrari F1, sequential and etc., the RC F is not as crisp and responsive as one would expect in a sports car with 467 hp.
I hear you on getting out of Normal mode Doug, I really haven't pushed the RC F hard since it still only has 400 miles on it. I have played with Sport mode however and I can say that at half throttle, it is a totally different vehicle!

With that being said, I really don't think it's the transmission. it really feels like there's a fuel cut for a bit, or the computer gets confused. It then performs flawlessly from there, it's really strange...
Old 04-16-15 | 11:40 PM
detluv313
Driver School Candidate

my car does it also at lower speeds. ill pull out into traffic and give it moderate gas and its like the car is confused for a couple of seconds then it catches its breath and goes. oh yeah did i mention my brakes squeaks like a city bus! lol ha

Last edited by detluv313; 04-16-15 at 11:40 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 04-17-15 | 03:06 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by detluv313
my car does it also at lower speeds. ill pull out into traffic and give it moderate gas and its like the car is confused for a couple of seconds then it catches its breath and goes. oh yeah did i mention my brakes squeaks like a city bus! lol ha
How many miles? My brakes squealed also. I have about 3,700 miles and all is quiet now.

Again, I think the hesitation is just a slow down shift on the tranny issue in normal mode. It annoyed me. I only drive in sort s now and spend most time in manual mode. I think the 8 speed transmission is just too many gears and requires too many gears to be skipped when you hit the gas in normal mode in auto. Sport S definitely keeps you in a more ideal gear at higher rpms so you don't skip like 6 gears on the downshift just to accelerate hard . . .

Hopefully, Lexus can do a simple flash eventually to remap these trannies and make them a little more aggressive so to speak.
Old 04-17-15 | 04:24 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by detluv313
That's exactly what my car does. My brakes squeal like crazy too, but they seem to calm down once they warm up.
Old 04-20-15 | 09:26 AM
followtheF
Rookie

Originally Posted by WayneIS350
Just to follow up, I played with this a bit over the weekend, and here's what I found.

If you're in D (automatic) and you downshift with the paddle, it drops you 2-3 gears the FIRST time only. Didn't matter what mode I was in (Eco-Sport+), what gear/speed I was at (freeway ~70mph in 8th, and city road ~45mph in 6th I think), or how long I held the paddle (very quick pull or held for any length of time).

Basically it seems like when you paddle out of automatic, it drops you 2-3 gears to be in a sportier sweet spot (like oh you want to take over, let me just drop a few gears and run the rpms up and then it's all yours). Only that first pull to get you from D to M does that though; any other time it's always 1 shift per pull.

Kinda what I figured, and seems like a good design, just FYI for everyone in case you're curious.
Old 04-20-15 | 10:53 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Your assessment is the same as mine and it points out that some of the editorial drivers incorrectly described tranny action and performance.

In M mode, the RCF will upshift in 0.1 second and downshift in 0.2 seconds. The more you approach redline, the smoother the upshifts are. High speed blips are downright aggressive. The car can be quite angry under full attack.

Originally Posted by followtheF
Just to follow up, I played with this a bit over the weekend, and here's what I found.

If you're in D (automatic) and you downshift with the paddle, it drops you 2-3 gears the FIRST time only. Didn't matter what mode I was in (Eco-Sport+), what gear/speed I was at (freeway ~70mph in 8th, and city road ~45mph in 6th I think), or how long I held the paddle (very quick pull or held for any length of time).

Basically it seems like when you paddle out of automatic, it drops you 2-3 gears to be in a sportier sweet spot (like oh you want to take over, let me just drop a few gears and run the rpms up and then it's all yours). Only that first pull to get you from D to M does that though; any other time it's always 1 shift per pull.

Kinda what I figured, and seems like a good design, just FYI for everyone in case you're curious.