RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Is this normal shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 06:00 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this normal shifting?

Now that I've started to drive the car more aggressively since it's broken in, I wanted to see if the transmission shifting I am seeing is the same that you guys are experiencing. When I have the car in Sport Mode and take sharp turns, take on-ramps aggressively with speed, or sweeping ramps, the trans will hold the gear it's in and delay the shift. It will eventually shift of course, but the engine RPM's can get way up there. I do understand the reasoning behind this (if it's normal of course) in that it would hold the trans in gear to keep the engine RPM high to give you more power to come out of a turn without having to wait for a downshift.

Again, just curious to see if this is what you guys are experiencing as well, I wanted to put my mind at ease...
Old 04-29-15, 06:25 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Shifting in a turn can be unsettling as you want to keep the car balanced. A shift while at or near the limit in a turn can induce oversteer so perhaps that is their reasoning. I, however, think the transmission in the RCF needs some programing tweeks. The downshift is a somewhat responsive, but the upshift can have a mind of its own. Sometimes it does it immediately and sometimes the shift is delayed a bit. I am asking about it when I take it in for the 5,000 miles service here in the couple of weeks.
Old 04-29-15, 07:17 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it has something to do with the G-force electronics? Just a shot in the dark, but maybe if it detects you're turning, it'll delay shifting to avoid what Doug said above
Old 04-29-15, 07:29 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Shifting in a turn can be unsettling as you want to keep the car balanced. A shift while at or near the limit in a turn can induce oversteer so perhaps that is their reasoning. I, however, think the transmission in the RCF needs some programing tweeks. The downshift is a somewhat responsive, but the upshift can have a mind of its own. Sometimes it does it immediately and sometimes the shift is delayed a bit. I am asking about it when I take it in for the 5,000 miles service here in the couple of weeks.
Thanks Doug, so do you think it's normal and programmed that way? It was a bit unsettling the first time it happened, but I fully understand your point about why it would be setup that way. I am also with you on the downshift and upshift aspects, the downshifts are awesome, but the upshifts when driving aggressively do seem to have a mind of their own. I also don't like the fact that it doesn't upshift when I start rolling off of the throttle until it feels like it wants to.
Old 04-29-15, 07:33 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Maybe it has something to do with the G-force electronics? Just a shot in the dark, but maybe if it detects you're turning, it'll delay shifting to avoid what Doug said above
Totally possible Danny and something I considered especially since it holds the shift after turns, on-ramps, and sweeping turns that would be taken aggressively. I also noticed it on a ramp where there is a bit of an uphill and then peak before the ramp levels out.

It sounds like Doug is experiencing the same things that I am, just trying to see if this is how it's setup.
Old 04-29-15, 07:43 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NickZ
Totally possible Danny and something I considered especially since it holds the shift after turns, on-ramps, and sweeping turns that would be taken aggressively. I also noticed it on a ramp where there is a bit of an uphill and then peak before the ramp levels out.

It sounds like Doug is experiencing the same things that I am, just trying to see if this is how it's setup.
Wish I knew more bout the RCF, but I'm an ISF owner. But maybe the car's nannies want to prevent drivers from spinning their rocketships off the road (unlike M4's - marvelous clip on youtube w/an M4 @ cars n coffee)
Old 04-29-15, 10:36 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best guess is the G- force electronics
Old 04-30-15, 04:47 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Odd, I am not experiencing this.

Take a run at a tight corner (on ramp corkscrew turn) in sport+ and break it hard just before you commit to the turn. If you have a TVD, dial in Track mode. It should immediately downshift, throw you into the side of your seat, and power out of the corner.

If you are driving a non-TVD, I have no idea how the car should respond. The TVDs are planted and corner as if they are on tracks.

I have done the same in Manual mode to generate the same performance outcome.
Old 04-30-15, 07:32 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I am with you on this, also if you upshift into 1st I have had it lock up the rear tires a few times, not very fun at all.

I hope they have a software fix for this as 1st gear is 40MPH and I do upshift into it going into slow turns and it's not smooth unless you upshift into it between 30-40 and that's almost at redline.
Old 05-01-15, 06:56 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Maybe we're all just getting adjusted to the differences between the way the RC F behaves vs. other vehicles we've owned. The delayed shifts only occur in Sport Mode for me, however, I am also with Doug in that I believe there is room for improvement in the way the computers handle the upshift aspect. I don't see a reason for the computer to hold the shift on one of the ramps I take to work when it levels out, the engine RPM's can reach 6K plus RPM at very light throttle before it decides to upshift.
Old 05-01-15, 11:49 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickZ
Maybe we're all just getting adjusted to the differences between the way the RC F behaves vs. other vehicles we've owned. The delayed shifts only occur in Sport Mode for me, however, I am also with Doug in that I believe there is room for improvement in the way the computers handle the upshift aspect. I don't see a reason for the computer to hold the shift on one of the ramps I take to work when it levels out, the engine RPM's can reach 6K plus RPM at very light throttle before it decides to upshift.
Try sport mode with manual with TVD Track engaged. It's not as maniacal as sport+ with manual and expert, but the shifts are quick and decisive, and you are in control of the rpms.