RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Oil filter part number

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 10:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, I know EXACTLY what you are saying with the shirts. These are often outsourced and wherever cheapest is where they get made "that week/month". Similarly (sadly) goes for some of the "generic medications". A shirt may fade differently, but an Rx medication is different (often it is the "delivery mechanism within the medication that is the trade secret". While the "active ingredients" are well known.)

One more thing I noticed is that the part number is not printed on the actual filter in one of its "leaves/fins" as in my prior Lexus oil filters that I had ordered (via Amazon, not LexusPartsNow) and used on my other Lexus vehicles. IDK what is happening? Fake OR ??? The actual oil filter is very sturdy and appears well made and not flimsy.

The only way for me to find out is for me to actually go to a Lexus dealer and ask for an oil filter for the RCF and see what the box says and what the filter exactly looks like.

I will keep all posted on my findings.

Originally Posted by Davew77
I have no idea where it is, was or should be made. But I would hope that it is authentic, and not some knockoff, if it came from a legit Lexus website.

I sometimes see on Amazon people saying things aren't authentic because something came from a different country than they used to see. Sometimes they may be correct. But sometimes it's because the company changed locations or uses multiple locations.

As an example, a couple of months ago I ordered a few Polo shirts directly from Ralph Lauren. Some shirts say "Made in Vietnam" while others say "Made in Sri Lanka". Anyway, after a few washings I've noticed that the Sri Lanka shirts do not appear to have faded, but the Vietnam shirts have clearly faded (I have some of the same color but from different countries, which allows me to see a clear difference). They were all washed together every single time they were washed, so they have had the exact same treatments. I can safely say they are all authentic since they came directly from Ralph Lauren, but they are not all of the same quality. I now know to buy them in person and to make sure they are not from Vietnam.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-20-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 10:48 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

]
Old 11-20-16, 11:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

From the link I posted on the first page. SAME darn filter.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter part number-img_9178-vi.jpg   Oil filter part number-img_9179-vi.jpg   Oil filter part number-img_9181-vi.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 12:39 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's the same filter, why is the color clearly different? One is white and one is yellow. Is it made from different materials? As I said before, just because it fits doesn't mean it's the same. It may not filter as well. The different materials may even appear to be as efficient as the other materials, but may break down faster over time. You usually get what you pay for... Most spark plugs look identical too. But there's a clear difference between platinum and copper. They may appear to work the same at first, but give them time and you'll see they aren't the same.

If you want to convince me, show me an oil analysis from oil ran for the same number of miles through each filter. Otherwise, this is nothing more than conjecture.

Use what you want. It's not my ride. I know what I'll be using.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm not saying you are wrong. You could be right. But I am saying that I am not 100% convinced these are the exact same filters or that they both filter as well over time.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-20-16 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-20-16, 01:56 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

If it's the same filter, why is the color clearly different? One is white and one is yellow. Is it made from different materials? As I said before, just because it fits doesn't mean it's the same. It may not filter as well. The different materials may even appear to be as efficient as the other materials, but may break down faster over time. You usually get what you pay for... Most spark plugs look identical too. But there's a clear difference between platinum and copper. They may appear to work the same at first, but give them time and you'll see they aren't the same.

If you want to convince me, show me an oil analysis from oil ran for the same number of miles through each filter. Otherwise, this is nothing more than conjecture.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm not saying you are wrong. You could be right. But I am saying that I am not 100% convinced these are the exact same filters or that they both filter as well over time.
I'm with you. some of these people trying to save some nickels and dimes for things that shouldn't be done to.
Old 11-20-16, 03:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Ok. I looked at the OEM oil filter of my LX570 and there are specific oil model numbers stamped on one of the "fins/leaves" of the oil filter matching what the box says.

BUT ON THE SUPPOSEDLY OEM RCF oil filter I just ordered recently from LexusPartsNow with the CORRECT MATCHING part numbera (which is different vs my LX570 oil filter part numbers AND which was also cheaper) IS NOT STAMPED ON THE OIL FILTER ITSELF. As matter of fact, there is absolutely no numbers anywhere on the oil filter that I can see. I don't know what is happening but I will continue to investigate.

I will keep you all posted.

Old 11-20-16, 03:42 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, I know EXACTLY what you are saying with the shirts. These are often outsourced and wherever cheapest is where they get made "that week/month". Similarly (sadly) goes for some of the "generic medications". A shirt may fade differently, but an Rx medication is different (often it is the "delivery mechanism within the medication that is the trade secret". While the "active ingredients" are well known.)

One more thing I noticed is that the part number is not printed on the actual filter in one of its "leaves/fins" as in my prior Lexus oil filters that I had ordered (via Amazon, not LexusPartsNow) and used on my other Lexus vehicles. IDK what is happening? Fake OR ??? The actual oil filter is very sturdy and appears well made and not flimsy.

The only way for me to find out is for me to actually go to a Lexus dealer and ask for an oil filter for the RCF and see what the box says and what the filter exactly looks like.

I will keep all posted on my findings.
I also have no idea. But I would be interested in hearing what you find out.

I have not ordered from Lexuspartsnow before. I have heard of it and I have always assumed that it is a website owned and operated by Lexus. But if it is owned and operated by an outside source, then there is no guarantee that what you get is authentic. As you said, I would go to a Lexus dealer and cross-check it with a part you know to be authentic.

update: I will really be interested in what you find out now. Lexuspartsnow is owned and operated by Genuine Parts Giant, Inc. A quick Google search brought up some negative stuff about them. BBB has 1 review and 6 complaints and none are positive (they have a F rating). They are on ripoff report too. So I'm curious to know if what you received is authentic or not. Missing part numbers throws a flag for me. It would be like receiving a windshield that wasn't etched with the Lexus name.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-20-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 04:18 AM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the mobil1 part # m1c-453
Old 11-23-16, 10:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I got an email reply from LexusPartsNow.com and they issued me a RMA. But by reading the fine print, there is a 20% restocking fee and I have to pay shipping (I already paid one way shipping to me when I ordered).

I emailed them back asking them for a 100% FULL REFUND and pay for shipping since this was NOT MY FAULT with NO PART NUMBER STAMPED ON THE LEAF OF THE OIL FILTER which is a suspect for FAKES.

I am waiting to hear back from them on the above.

On another order via Amazon for oil filters for my RX450h...............Same problem with NO PART NUMBERS STAMPED ON THE LEAF OF THE OIL FILTER ITSELF.
I had ordered previously from other vendors on Amazon for my other Lexus vehicles including the RX450h, CT200h, and LX570 and all the oil filters had part numbers stamped on the filter. So I emailed the vendor that I ordered via Amazon and to my surprise the following is their reply:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
From: DaytonaToyota - Amazon Marketplace <XXXXXXXXX@marketplace.amazon.com>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 9:32 AM
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: Inquiry from Amazon customer XXXXXXXXXXX: Received damaged or defective item
Order ID XXXXXXXXXXXXX:
1 of Toyota Genuine Parts 04152-YZZA1 1/2 case (QTY5) Oil Filters [ASIN: B009YYVSZO]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello,
It looks like this order was fulfilled by Amazon. Our parts have been sent out to their warehouse, where they package and send them out to Amazon buyers. Please email Amazon directly to resolve this problem.
Thanks

==
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Really? I am getting these returned as well.

I also have no idea. But I would be interested in hearing what you find out.

I have not ordered from Lexuspartsnow before. I have heard of it and I have always assumed that it is a website owned and operated by Lexus. But if it is owned and operated by an outside source, then there is no guarantee that what you get is authentic. As you said, I would go to a Lexus dealer and cross-check it with a part you know to be authentic.

update: I will really be interested in what you find out now. Lexuspartsnow is owned and operated by Genuine Parts Giant, Inc. A quick Google search brought up some negative stuff about them. BBB has 1 review and 6 complaints and none are positive (they have a F rating). They are on ripoff report too. So I'm curious to know if what you received is authentic or not. Missing part numbers throws a flag for me. It would be like receiving a windshield that wasn't etched with the Lexus name.
Old 11-25-16, 05:31 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusrus
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
From: DaytonaToyota - Amazon Marketplace <XXXXXXXXX@marketplace.amazon.com>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 9:32 AM
To: XXXXXXXXXXX
Subject: Re: Inquiry from Amazon customer XXXXXXXXXXX: Received damaged or defective item
Order ID XXXXXXXXXXXXX:
1 of Toyota Genuine Parts 04152-YZZA1 1/2 case (QTY5) Oil Filters [ASIN: B009YYVSZO]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello,
It looks like this order was fulfilled by Amazon. Our parts have been sent out to their warehouse, where they package and send them out to Amazon buyers. Please email Amazon directly to resolve this problem.
Thanks

==
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So it's Amazon's job to stamp the part numbers on them?
Old 11-25-16, 11:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I find this crazy too.

I have had heard documented cases where some SUPPOSEDLY BRAND name AUTHENIC goods (especially ladies bags and purses) bought from Amazon turned out to be FAKES. What goes on is that some REAL ones are mixed in with FAKE ones and ALL shipped in together (more often) or sometimes separately to Amazon warehouse. BC you bought it from AMAZON, it MUST BE REAL, RIGHT? IDK.......

I already got Amazon return authorization with prepaid shipping label so I will be return these. I wish I can say the same for the other oil filters I had ordered from LexusPartsNow.com where they want to charge me 20% restocking AND I paid shipping to me PLUS now I'll have to pay RETURN SHIPPING TOO!!! I'll just call my cc company to get some satisfactory resolution on this.

Old 11-26-16, 08:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

We're getting off track here. But I'm sure most of you know that Apple has called Amazon out for selling fake Apple accessories. Amazon has taken action by suing some of it's sellers.

Lou
Old 12-13-16, 08:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So I finally got some time to stop by a Lexus dealer and askEd for an oil filter for the RCF.

I looked at the oil filter and there are no part numbers on the filter itself!!!!

Old 12-13-16, 09:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^It didn't come in a box If you look at the pics I posted above, the filter has no markings. But, the box does.

Lou
Old 12-13-16, 11:38 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, I know.
BUT, in the past for all of my other Lexus vehicles, including LX570, RX450H, AND CT200H......all of the OEM oil filters from either Lexus dealers or Amazon online HAD the specific part numbers on black ink stamped on the oil filter "long ways". Even the oil filter I ordered recently online for my RX450H DID NOT have the part number stamped on the oil filter.

IDK, maybe it is just how it is done now. After seeing the same with an oil filter at a Lexus dealer, I don't feel so bad now. I guess I won't return the oil filter I ordered online.

BTW, the Lexus dealer wanted $19 for the oil filter which I declined.

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^It didn't come in a box If you look at the pics I posted above, the filter has no markings. But, the box does.

Lou

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-14-16 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter part number