RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF production numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 02:35 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Don't want to stirr the pot, but I think it is only fair to look at both sides (as I have always defended RC-F at all times).

Again, just playing fair here. Watch closely at 0:03, the RC-F was already doing 14 km/h when the M4 was sitting at 0 km/h. So the RC-F started a bit earlier. It is not really a scientific comparison to begin with.

Road and track lap times are hugely inconsistent. It is because it is a run down old runway with lots of broken segments. Road and track claims they test it because they prefer to test the cars on rough pavements. It heavily favors cars with adjustable dynamic suspension because of the rough patches.

The fact that the M4 and M3 lap times are so far apart, shows how inconsistent their drivers are. M4 without adjustable suspension did poorly while the M3 with adjustable suspension did well. Biggest thing, a top tier supercar like LFA did not do well here because of its stiffness and rigidity and/or the inconsitent amateur drivers. Its only 130 mph max speed is a big indicator.

I think the MotorTrend Randy Pobst back to back hotlaps were pretty much as close as it could ever get to apples to apples comparison.

Actually, Clarkson is not a huge fan of BMW. He had been very harsh in his M5 review as well.

Although, definitely he took it way overboard and he definitely was unfair in his review of the RC-F. He just simply exaggerated the understeer and weight issue to the point where he made the review center around those two things. Not allowing The Stig to do a lap in RC-F was also another travesty because of his prejudice against the RC-F. I am sure RC-F would have done well.

His review of RC-F was unfair and there are no two ways about it.

However, he is far from anti-Lexus brand. His appreciation for the GT-86 had been shown extensively on Top Gear. As a matter of fact, he continuously says, Lexus LFA was the best car he had ever driven in all of the Top Gear seasons. He actually wants to own an LFA, but there are none available in UK. The one that come up for sale in Europe, are extremely expensive.
Great post. No doubt about it, his review of the RC F was totally uncool for Lexus who was probably really excited about their new car and looking forward to some time comparisons.

My guess is is that Stig did actually put the RC F through its paces, but Clarkson chose not to post time in favor of his little antics. People buying the charade are a bit dense . . . Heck, those guys have had the stage put everything from golf carts to tractors though the test metaphorically speaking of course.
Old 06-18-15, 02:45 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I always love the random pot shots about how we are all dumb for not getting the M4, so what do they say if the person has 10 other cars that all crush the M4 on the track and wanted something on the way it looks and something to rack up miles and take to walmart?

So far the more I drive this car the more I like it.
Yep, some people apparently need a hobby. I have never gone over to a BMW forum and told them how bad their XXX is based on my 458 or 99X GT3. The RC F is actually a really fine car and a joy to drive. My brother is a huge Bimmer and German guy. He has an M5 and a 997 TT. He drove my RC F and said "Dude, I gotta get one." The BMW M5 has a better shifter (Lexus needs to remedy this through software flash) and the 997TT gives you that huge roller coaster rush when the turbos spool up, but . . .

when my brother and I put the RC F in Sport +, took traction control off and went bizzark on damp public streets . . . we had a firkin blast. The RC F was spinning wheels and sideways all the way through third gear and perhaps 4th but we back off due to public streets.

Moral of the story is if you think the RC F is gentle GT cruiser then take the sucker out of normal or eco mode, put it in Sports +, turn off traction control and have fun IF YOU CAN HANDLE it. Many of those talking crap on here would probably end up in a ditch due to lack of car control skills if pushing it to the limits with no electronics.
The following users liked this post:
bbowaralk (04-16-23)
Old 06-18-15, 07:07 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Great post. No doubt about it, his review of the RC F was totally uncool for Lexus who was probably really excited about their new car and looking forward to some time comparisons.

My guess is is that Stig did actually put the RC F through its paces, but Clarkson chose not to post time in favor of his little antics. People buying the charade are a bit dense . . . Heck, those guys have had the stage put everything from golf carts to tractors though the test metaphorically speaking of course.
Thanks. Totally agree on all points.
Old 06-18-15, 09:22 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And I am SURE the TVD slot-car lap time was excellent...misrepresentation and dodging the inevitable is how I view his actions. Charade is a euphemism for producer-condoned bull_hit.
Old 06-18-15, 09:31 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=05RollaXRS;9080287]Don't want to stirr the pot, but I think it is only fair to look at both sides (as I have always defended RC-F at all times).

Again, just playing fair here. Watch closely at 0:03, the RC-F was already doing 14 km/h when the M4 was sitting at 0 km/h. So the RC-F started a bit earlier. It is not really a scientific comparison to begin with.
QUOTE]

Maybe/maybe not...I agree it is not scientific. Not trying to incite anything here, but I snagged the image at the bottom of this post at 1 second into the race. It appears to be a very fair start to me. They are both showing revs at about 2,200 rpm.

Regardless, it's a very close race that M4 owners would have thought to be a non-competition. I think not.

However, in this run, it was a visually fair, proper start. The M4 just can't keep the rubber on the asphalt. We can all debate why. That's a good thing if you want to heat asphalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTe...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails RCF production numbers-motorsport.jpg  

Last edited by ISF001; 06-18-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 12:28 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
[XXXXXX
lol @ some of the stuff you post....:egads

Wish you were as fervent to post up a video of your no-burnout 4.2 second run.
Old 06-18-15, 02:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Definitely, a valid point. Maybe, they took off at the same time, but wheelspin in the M4 caused the 14 km/h difference I noticed.

Originally Posted by ISF001

Maybe/maybe not...I agree it is not scientific. Not trying to incite anything here, but I snagged the image at the bottom of this post at 1 second into the race. It appears to be a very fair start to me. They are both showing revs at about 2,200 rpm.

Regardless, it's a very close race that M4 owners would have thought to be a non-competition. I think not.

However, in this run, it was a visually fair, proper start. The M4 just can't keep the rubber on the asphalt. We can all debate why. That's a good thing if you want to heat asphalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdTe...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-21-15, 04:05 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
lol @ some of the stuff you post....:egads

Wish you were as fervent to post up a video of your no-burnout 4.2 second run.
To my knowledge, no one is forced to read or for that matter believe anything.

Correct...it was a no burnout 4.2 second run. There is no video, inspector. And it was my first attempt.

After 1,700 miles, I'm comfortable with and confident in what I can do with this car.

If this showers down on potential M4 owners, they can take shelter. The V8 will turn over even better, consistent,
performance as it approaches 3,000 miles--stock.
Old 08-09-15, 10:58 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quote from Lexus HQ

Originally Posted by Fishman350
Curious what folks know about how many RCF's were or are scheduled to be built. With 671 new/used for sale on Autotrader it got me thinking how well these cars are actually selling. That number may make perfect sense, I just don't have the relative context. Does anyone know or have a feeling as to how well the car is being received in the market?
This thread kinda got distracted from its original purpose. Anyways, the head of lexus north america said at Detroit Auto Show they expect to sell 200 nationwide a month.

I imagine in your area should only expect to see a 1 - 3 sold a month.
Old 08-12-15, 05:45 AM
BlueThundr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCF Sales

RCs are moving at about 1.6K per month. So if the 200 monthly quoted for RCF is achieved, it is just 12% of RCs- which looks reasonable to me
Old 08-14-15, 06:25 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
I was told by a very knowledgeable non-Lexus dealer there is an approx $10K markup on the RC-F. I think the demand is very high in some markets which will bring full MSRP but not so in others, so deals may be available in the latter. There could also be a self created shortage to drive demand up, but who knows.
Z
10k mark up is completely wrong. It's between 4200 and 5000. There are no reasons in mind to discount this special car. California and larger cities go right to invoice. Because of the volume of customers. All rcfs sold in my area go for sticker and nothing but. Unless it is an employee or a toyota motor company employee with an attachment A form
Old 08-14-15, 08:20 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Moral of the story is if you think the RC F is gentle GT cruiser then take the sucker out of normal or eco mode, put it in Sports +, turn off traction control and have fun IF YOU CAN HANDLE it. Many of those talking crap on here would probably end up in a ditch due to lack of car control skills if pushing it to the limits with no electronics.
I'm with you on this brotha'. There are really not that many cars on the road that can give the RC-F a run. There are a few, and I wouldn't argue that point, but many a mustang GT driver has been sorely disappointed when he tried to run me from a dead stop, not to mention a Boss 302 and the Dodge hemi RTs, Audi's, etc. In my book it is a serious performer and to be honest, I rarely drive it in anything but Sport S+ mode with the trac control off. It takes me back to the muscle car days of the 70s, but in a lot more comfortable seat and with my middle age dignity intact...
Old 02-03-17, 07:34 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone have the exact production numbers for 2015 and 2016 years?
Old 02-03-17, 02:37 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeman
I was told by a very knowledgeable non-Lexus dealer there is an approx $10K markup on the RC-F. I think the demand is very high in some markets which will bring full MSRP but not so in others, so deals may be available in the latter. There could also be a self created shortage to drive demand up, but who knows.
Z

its 5k not ten i sell for lexus
Old 12-04-17, 02:55 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Anyone have the exact production numbers for 2015 and 2016 years?
Anyone?

I tried searching but couldn't find a number.

Quick Reply: RCF production numbers