RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

carbon fiber hood?/performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 07:57 AM
kammrk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber hood?/performance?

Can anyone advise me on the carbon fiber hood, is it available through Lexus as a package or can you just get the hood only, or is there a "carbon fiber wrap" available for the hood? Also what are some after market add-on's for increased performance available such as some exhaust systems coming to market for the RCF? read one system may be giving the car some extra 45 H/P with this new exhaust, any other things known for the car. Thanks to all input.
Old 07-06-15, 08:33 AM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what my local service manager said about the hood.

Good afternoon,
Lexus will not release the carbon fiber hood to customers that did not purchase the carbon fiber premium package RCF. They are only releasing the hood and roof for Collision vehicles with the premium carbon fiber package. They will release the spoiler however.

Spoiler--$3483.00 after tax. Parts only, does not include labor.
Old 07-06-15, 10:15 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

The OEM hood will be very hard to have access to but if any aftermarket CF hoods come out, I will definitely let you know!

As for performance mods, the most popular exhausts for the RCF are the PTS/Joe-z exhaust, Apex-i, and the GTHAUS Meisterschaft exhausts.

Joe-z is also working on the RCF intake and we do have many drop in air filters available..

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to assist you!

-Josh (jlee@modinjapan.com)
Old 07-06-15, 07:21 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I really really wanted that CF hood, but my understanding is it was only available in Japan, at least at the time I ordered my CF premium package. I'm still lusting after it but I'm afraid of the price...

I read the same post about ~ 45 HP with the aftermarket exhaust, and I think that it is very extremely unlikely that was the only modification to that car. How can it be possible to get a 10% increase with only an exhaust system change? I don't buy it.
Old 07-06-15, 07:45 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
I really really wanted that CF hood, but my understanding is it was only available in Japan, at least at the time I ordered my CF premium package. I'm still lusting after it but I'm afraid of the price...

I read the same post about ~ 45 HP with the aftermarket exhaust, and I think that it is very extremely unlikely that was the only modification to that car. How can it be possible to get a 10% increase with only an exhaust system change? I don't buy it.
2 different ones made the same gains on different dyno's. Not sure why they would lie when it will bite them down the road. It's a big V8 with a stock exhaust, all the american cars get the same gains and have for 20+ years.
Old 07-06-15, 07:57 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
2 different ones made the same gains on different dyno's. Not sure why they would lie when it will bite them down the road. It's a big V8 with a stock exhaust, all the american cars get the same gains and have for 20+ years.
I'm not saying they lied but that there is more to it than just an exhaust system. The ultimate in exhaust would be "test pipes" or in the old days we would say "uncapped headers" You can't get less back pressure than that, and I know that there is no 10% gain in HP at the wheels from such an arrangement. In general it would be more along the lines of 5 - 10 HP. To get 10% you would need a custom tune with a cold air intake along with exhaust, I am pretty sure.
Old 07-06-15, 08:24 PM
Zfrog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zydan

Good afternoon,
Lexus will not release the carbon fiber hood to customers that did not purchase the carbon fiber premium package RCF. They are only releasing the hood and roof for Collision vehicles with the premium carbon fiber package. They will release the spoiler however.

This is unbelievable. I am not calling you a liar, but this I absolutely cannot compute.

CAN NOT COMP UTE.
Old 07-06-15, 08:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Zydan

Good afternoon,

WOW, i'd HATE to know How Much the Hood would Cost! Why not just get a Wrap on the Spoiler, i wouldn't think it's going to make that much difference (that a real CF spoiler would save on Weight if that was the Only reason you did it)
Old 07-06-15, 09:36 PM
kammrk
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to get a wrap of a "carbon fiber" look for the hood?
Old 07-07-15, 04:38 AM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather purchase the Varis extended Csf spoiler for half the price.

Yes you can wrap your good CF or floss CF if you like.
Old 07-07-15, 05:10 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Im pretty sure I saw SEIBON developing a cf hood and I thought Varis was developing one as well. The Varis hood is all over the Internet in pics. I'd ask Bulletproof, they would know for sure. Cf wrap would be no bueno IMO.
Old 07-07-15, 10:18 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
... It's a big V8 with a stock exhaust, all the american cars get the same gains and have for 20+ years.
I wouldn't go THAT far. I've mostly had American V8's (some FI) and for the most part a catback exhaust on an NA engine at best would net about 2-3% gains. On a turbo or SC application the numbers are much better. It really depends on each car though, there is no general rule for this but the RCF getting 45hp is truly amazing!
Old 07-07-15, 12:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
WOW, i'd HATE to know How Much the Hood would Cost! Why not just get a Wrap on the Spoiler, i wouldn't think it's going to make that much difference (that a real CF spoiler would save on Weight if that was the Only reason you did it)
I agree with Johnny. If it's for looks, wrap it.
Old 07-07-15, 04:00 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

But wrap it the right way. The real carbon hood always had the wrong lines anyway.
There was an old post on here that had a rendering of the way the carbon should be cut to match the lines of the hood and headlights.

Good luck on the wrap. I would suggest ordering several samples from ebay before deciding on brand and finish. I once had a carbon roof that peeled up like snake skin after a year in the sun.
Old 07-07-15, 04:41 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Im pretty sure I saw SEIBON developing a cf hood and I thought Varis was developing one as well. The Varis hood is all over the Internet in pics. I'd ask Bulletproof, they would know for sure. Cf wrap would be no bueno IMO.
Yes, Varis is in the development phase of their production Carbon Fiber hoods. Personally I think aftermarket carbon hoods are great for a few reasons. First mainly you're getting a lighter hood to decrease weight. Second, most aftermarket hoods will have either inlet our outlet air vents which pulls cool air into the engine bay or out of the engine bay which helps keep temps cooler. Third, it just looks so awesome

Make sure when you look into getting a hood, you get something that's going to be good quality. There's a lot of surface area on the RCF hood so you want something that's going to be durable and have a good weave pattern.

We'll be posting new products from Japan as they get released so be on the lookout. If you'd like me to provide you with any updates, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll reach out to you.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber hood?/performance?