RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 07:35 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I Don't know of Anybody else that's gotten a Dealership to come off 8k, but it's pretty obvious you Don't want to tell us who did on yours. If they came off 8k for you, you don't they might would do it for him too! Is it that big of deal just to name the Dealership who did?
I can tell you he didn't get that deal from Lexus of Austin for sure, so we got one dealer ruled out~
(judging from his pic in roll call thread)
Old 08-24-15, 10:33 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

You'll never see $8K discounts right now anywhere. I got $4,700 off a fully-loaded one ($78.6K MSRP) in Albuquerque, and they have SIX of them. Doubt anybody discounts them much more. BUT I'm getting creamed on the GTR. Plus these cars will be a year old in weeks. And that takes me to a question for the masses here: When will 2016s start getting to dealers? I'm almost decided to wait, not only because I'm losing 30 grand of depreciation on my year-old GTR. But because I wasn't completely sold on the RC-F's tranny downshifts in manual mode, and that might be corrected in 2016s, like it's typically the case of first-year vehicles. Most of those kinks get fixed on the second year. And if I have to pay a bit more than now, I'd still be way ahead of the depreciation game. And yes, that means my car would also lose some value, but I'd sell it now after coming back from a Phoenix trip in a week, and my seat comfort issues remain. If this car had a DCT, I'd be driving one already. Have a great day folks.
Old 08-24-15, 01:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FCReulB
I can tell you he didn't get that deal from Lexus of Austin for sure, so we got one dealer ruled out~
I was just Wondering, but for some Reason he just Doesn't want us to know what Dealership it was, it's like his Own lil' Secret. Hey, if i got 8k off the sticker price i'd share it with Everybody (isn't that what car forums are for, sharing valuable info & Great Deals) and i would think the Dealership would Love all the attention they would get from it too. jmo
Old 08-24-15, 02:01 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FCReulB
I know what profit margin in these are and I would venture to say that an 8k discount is available to either friends and family of an employee, a desperate dealer trying to make end of the month quota or Internet folklore.

Seriously, family of an employee only gets 94.5% of invoice. Why do you think you deserve this if you are not a loyal customer?

Lol, this is the Internet. Everything is bigger, better, cheaper . . . Those sitting on the sidelines trying to get get the best deal the Internet forums have to offer will get exactly what the Internet forums are offering . . . Internet advice and no car.
Old 08-24-15, 02:38 PM
Ca1avera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Question

Internet forums are filled with 20k+ off msrp on 2015 gtrs stories. I had to work hard to get one to come down to 17k off but I wanted the 20k. Lol
I'm sharing information that the deal is possible you just have to be patient and catch the right dealer at the right time.
Old 08-24-15, 06:00 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Ca1avera
Internet forums are filled with 20k+ off msrp on 2015 gtrs stories. I had to work hard to get one to come down to 17k off but I wanted the 20k. Lol
I'm sharing information that the deal is possible you just have to be patient and catch the right dealer at the right time.
It's not just being 'patient'. You also have to be willing to compromise on many things, including interior/exterior color, options, mileage, year, location, etc. And remembering you're buying a year-old car too. When I was looking for a GTR, found several cars at $16K off MSRP, but all of them were over 1K miles away, were year+ old leftover 2014s, had many test-driven miles, wrong color, etc. I'm picky with my cars, so decided $5K off on a fresh-off-the-truck 2015 was a better deal for me, and bought one for $100K even, and exactly what I had in mind. Notice I didn't say 'what I wanted', since that turned out not to be the case, due to a lack of a proper test-drive. It's noisier on trips than I (or rather my wife) wanted, and the seats are uncomfortable and too tight (even for my 160# frame) for traveling. Trying to fix that with the RC-F, but it also has detractions of its own. Trying to find out if I'd be happier driving one for 4 years, or just fix what bothers me on the GTR (add more insulation and modify the seats for better comfort) and keep it instead. It all boils down to what YOU want, or feel is more important to you. But yes, chasing the ultimate deal is most likely going to end up on NOT getting what you wanted, and those apparent savings would cost you much more at the end. Don't ask me how I know that .
Old 08-24-15, 07:41 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
It's not just being 'patient'. You also have to be willing to compromise on many things, including interior/exterior color, options, mileage, year, location, etc. And remembering you're buying a year-old car too. When I was looking for a GTR, found several cars at $16K off MSRP, but all of them were over 1K miles away, were year+ old leftover 2014s, had many test-driven miles, wrong color, etc. I'm picky with my cars, so decided $5K off on a fresh-off-the-truck 2015 was a better deal for me, and bought one for $100K even, and exactly what I had in mind. Notice I didn't say 'what I wanted', since that turned out not to be the case, due to a lack of a proper test-drive. It's noisier on trips than I (or rather my wife) wanted, and the seats are uncomfortable and too tight (even for my 160# frame) for traveling. Trying to fix that with the RC-F, but it also has detractions of its own. Trying to find out if I'd be happier driving one for 4 years, or just fix what bothers me on the GTR (add more insulation and modify the seats for better comfort) and keep it instead. It all boils down to what YOU want, or feel is more important to you. But yes, chasing the ultimate deal is most likely going to end up on NOT getting what you wanted, and those apparent savings would cost you much more at the end. Don't ask me how I know that .
I look at the GTR and a lot of cars I was looking at 120k +- and for the cost per mile and how the car will hold up with miles the RCF won. You can always get faster but I don't think you can find a car cheaper or one that can rack up 250k miles and not be in the shop every week with a 3k repair.

If you want a great track car I would do something else like a GT3 or maybe the new NSX if it ever comes out

trying to have a daily drive and track car something is always going to suffer.
Old 08-24-15, 08:11 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
for the cost per mile and how the car will hold up with miles, the RCF won.
I personally know that, after owning several V8 Lexus vehicles. And even without planning to keep the car for a gazillion miles (like most of us), the RC-F is still a great GT car deal. My only gripe is the transmission, and need to make sure I'll be okay. Unfortunately, one of the few things I really like about the GTR is how it shifts, and how the engine sounds with every shift, be it up or down. And without any artificial means. I'm a die-hard manual guy, and now that I had to move on from them (well, my motorcycles are still manual ), I strictly shift my auto sports cars with paddles only. That's why it's so important to me. Don't want to make another $100K mistake . And yes, power is not everything for me; never was and never will. The GTR is finally a car I admit to say it's just too much for my own good. I like it, use it, and know how to drive fast. But don't want just that, at the expense of luxury and refinement anymore. An RC-F has all the power I need, along with the right amount of luxury, sportiness, and refinement I want. It's just why the heck didn't Lexus make this car right with a DCT tranny. Oh well. Will know in a few days if I decide to pull the trigger or not. Will depend on the answer to questions I posted on another thread.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:01 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I personally know that, after owning several V8 Lexus vehicles. And even without planning to keep the car for a gazillion miles (like most of us), the RC-F is still a great GT car deal. My only gripe is the transmission, and need to make sure I'll be okay. Unfortunately, one of the few things I really like about the GTR is how it shifts, and how the engine sounds with every shift, be it up or down. And without any artificial means. I'm a die-hard manual guy, and now that I had to move on from them (well, my motorcycles are still manual ), I strictly shift my auto sports cars with paddles only. That's why it's so important to me. Don't want to make another $100K mistake . And yes, power is not everything for me; never was and never will. The GTR is finally a car I admit to say it's just too much for my own good. I like it, use it, and know how to drive fast. But don't want just that, at the expense of luxury and refinement anymore. An RC-F has all the power I need, along with the right amount of luxury, sportiness, and refinement I want. It's just why the heck didn't Lexus make this car right with a DCT tranny. Oh well. Will know in a few days if I decide to pull the trigger or not. Will depend on the answer to questions I posted on another thread.
GL JC, i really Hope you find what you're wanting Buddy! You can't say you haven't asked enuff' questions about it, i think you already know more about it than you realized though
Old 08-24-15, 11:51 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I think you already know more about it than you realized
Yes I do. Ha ha. And it's looking good buddy. Should know tomorrow for sure. For now, let me contribute with something some of you might want to try on the video below (for those not following the only thread I started). Still investigating the 2.5K to 3.5K drone, which is the intake noise it actually bothers me the most (probably a trumpet pointing to the firewall). Will post my findings on the afforementioned thread. Hope this helps gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-24-15 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 04:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the things that concerns me the most about a GT-R used....is a GT-R used. Given the price for repairs on these cars, it plays a huge factor in me looking at one. The one factor I'm looking to see is if anyone will certify one of these. My local dealer, which I don't think too highly of (since their Hyundai dealer was the one that destroyed my gen coupe years ago) said they would never consider certifying one because of the potential of high dollar fixes down the road. But my question is WHO CARES if Nissan is paying the bill down the road? That isn't the dealership's issue, and if the car was in great shape at the time, who was to know that these issues woudlnt' have happened to the first owner and Nissan would be paying for it anyways.

Thus, if I can't get a certified GT-R, I can't really think seriously about one. The dealership I'm working with in another state said they have never certified a GT-R, but would inquire as to if it could be done. However, they have been dragging me out on answers about the car for well over a week now and I'm losing interest in them.

Another thing I think about is over and over how cheap the interior of the GT-R is. The IS and NX have spoiled me for what an interior of a car should hold. Now, the Camaro is 60% of that quality, but I feel if I am going to upgrade my car, why not upgrade the interior as well? I always equate this as the following (which has been my debate)

Going from the Camaro:

1. To the GT-R - Power increase is substanical in regards to utilization. The interior is actually CHEAPER in the Nissan IMO, and the strange sounds and rattles are much more noticeable in the GT-R. This would essentially be a power upgrade only. With the GT-R I felt "separated" in the driver seat. Like, I control the wheel, but not very much of me felt what the car felt. It would feel like a large downgrade from the Camaro even.

2. To the RC-F - Power would temporarily decrease (considering the mods from the Camaro). The interior is as 50% upgrade from what I currently have and the handling is >50% upgrade (its nice to see a car that wants to get into a turn rather than just push straight through it). The RC-F would receive boltons as the time comes so the power would be rather close in the end. This essentially would be a refinement and luxury upgrade. I enjoyed when I sit in this car, I feel much more "part of the experience" and connected with what the car wants to do. The Camaro, I feel attached to the situation, but now I can enjoy just hitting the paddles to keep the experience going as compared to having to put my foot on the clutch.

My other comparison is the tech. The tech in the GT-R is pretty much the same stuff that has been around since the MY2009. Nissan has refined the car, but done not much more. The RC-F IMO is leaps and bounds above the GT-R in tech and refinement. And at 25k less (new to new), its a hard thing not to give the RC-F the nod.

The more I consider it...the more I think about the RC-F as the better option. Shame to give away my "dream" car, but I think I held the GT-R in such high regards as a kid in 2009, but when the opportunity is here, I may actually find myself leaning away from it for another option that makes me happier.
Old 08-25-15, 09:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

To expand on the above, I have decided to pass on the GT-R since the dealership will not certify the car. I just can't make the rational choice in my head to take the risk on a 100k car without a long warranty. I would personally feel much safer in the RC-F for long term "spirited driving abuse" and reliability.
Old 08-25-15, 11:42 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Swacer
I have decided to pass on the GT-R since the dealership will not certify the car.
Yeah, Nissan doesn't certify them. And yes, I'd only have bought a used one from me, so had to buy new. The good news about a new GTR is they're about bulletproof unmodified. Look around and nothing fails on these cars. And the good news is an inspection reveals if car has been launched (and how many times), redlined, etc. I'd NOT buy a new one again. And if you don't trust a used one like mine, then absolutely go to the RC-F. It's no contest vs a new one. A used one like mine still has half its warranty left, so I wouldn't be concerned man. Drive both, and choose wisely, since you can buy either one for about the same money. There's another like mine (black/black) for sale also by a mature owner, never launched, not modified, 3K miles, etc. at gtrheritage.com. Just trying to prevent you from being on my same boat. Ha ha. But yes, either car will be a compromise of some sort, so you need to decide for yourself, and let the cars speak to you. Good luck buddy. I'm either going to keep mine or get the RC-F. And the interior of the GTR is not great, but can't compare to a freaking Camaro man; no offense. The dash on the GTR is awesome, not those cheap-a$$ gauges and acres of plastic on the dash, but to each his own. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-25-15 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 05:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

And the interior of the GTR is not great, but can't compare to a freaking Camaro man; no offense. The dash on the GTR is awesome, not those cheap-a$$ gauges and acres of plastic on the dash, but to each his own. Take care.
I shall not entertain this as that was quite the di#% comment.

However, the Camaro is now listed on the forums for sale, so we shall see where that starts. Autotrader will probably follow in a month or so.
Old 08-27-15, 09:07 AM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Swacer
I shall not entertain this as that was quite the di#% comment.
Sorry if I offended you buddy, but I tell it like it is, whether I own it or not. Never been a fanboy of any brand or model. In material quality, the difference is not that much, excluding the cheap-a$$ rear seats on the GTR (never seen worse). But build quality and interior/dash design, is miles better man. Camaros are just cheaply built cars. And so are Corvettes, and I owned 3 of them (but I'm done with GM for life). The interior of the GTR vs the RC-F is no contest IMO, even though the RC-F could be better. I also put mine for sale; let's see who sells it first.

Quick Reply: Pricing Question