RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Best mode for performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 02:16 PM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mode for performance

Curious....what mode do you think the car is quickest in....automatic mode or use the paddle shifters yourself?
Old 08-26-15, 02:48 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

With this crappy tranny (delayed shifts, especially downshifts) and peak HP right at redline, AUTO. Or you have a very good chance to bounce off the limiter, killing your time. On this car, there's no automatic upshifting at redline in manual mode. That should have been the case in sport mode IMO, leaving bouncing off the limiter in the 3 sport+ modes. But it's not. On the GTR is the same thing, but for different reasons: engine reaches redline so fast in 1st gear it's almost impossible not to hit the limiter in manual when in 'sport+' (it's called differently). But in sport manual, it shifts by itself at redline, and that's what I use all the time. As a final comment, you can launch the RC-F quicker by brake-torquing the tranny at 2K rpm, for what I read. But I wouldn't do that to my car. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-26-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 03:03 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

To ME, it seems to do better in auto mode Especially if you Punch it @20-40-60mph. For some reason when i do it at one of those Exact speeds in Sport+ of course, it just feels like it Bows up & Gets it. I've never thought it done as good with the manual mode, to me it just doesn't seem to have any Torque when you get on it. If you put it in Sport+ in auto mode it just seems like it stays Bowed Up just WAITING to JUMP on Something! like my Son told me when its in Sport+ & i switch it to eco mode, its like it just releases a Big Sigh of Relief.
Old 08-26-15, 04:59 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
To ME, it seems to do better in auto mode Especially if you Punch it @20-40-60mph. For some reason when i do it at one of those Exact speeds in Sport+ of course, it just feels like it Bows up & Gets it. I've never thought it done as good with the manual mode, to me it just doesn't seem to have any Torque when you get on it. If you put it in Sport+ in auto mode it just seems like it stays Bowed Up just WAITING to JUMP on Something! like my Son told me when its in Sport+ & i switch it to eco mode, its like it just releases a Big Sigh of Relief.
I agree with Johnny.

The AI guidance in auto sport+ mode with TVD track selected and the nannies off is quick, responsive, and seems to read the driver's mind. The upshifts and blipped downshifts are quick, and the gears selected when entering and exiting high speed corners are perfect.

I enjoy the direct shift mode in general street performance driving. On the highway in low traffic conditions and high up the rev range, the engine shows its strength. The response is impressive. The up and down shifts are tight and quick, and before you know it, you may even earn yourself a citation. Look out for those smokies guys.
Old 08-26-15, 06:43 PM
TigerAC3
Driver School Candidate

I found that when using the shifter in manual mode the car will auto shift at redline out of first gear, but first gear only. I'm not sure if this is the case with the paddles. Will have to test.
Old 08-28-15, 12:05 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

correct me if i'm wrong but in auto mode the car shifts at 7000 RPM in all modes, however in manual you can make it run till 7300.

so definetly faster in manual, if you don't bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 08-28-15, 04:58 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TigerAC3
I found that when using the shifter in manual mode the car will auto shift at redline out of first gear, but first gear only. I'm not sure if this is the case with the paddles. Will have to test.
I need to try this. To my knowledge, my car holds in first gear unless the car is not up to operating temperature.
Old 08-28-15, 05:01 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kareemRCF
correct me if i'm wrong but in auto mode the car shifts at 7000 RPM in all modes, however in manual you can make it run till 7300.

The F shifts very quickly with AI in sport + mode. I can't say which is faster. I believe my best 0-60 was in auto, sport+, TVD set to Track, and a quarter tank of Sunoco 93.
Old 08-28-15, 05:41 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kareemRCF

I checked this run. For the most part in auto, it shifts at 7,000 rpm.

Old 08-30-15, 07:38 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I checked this run. For the most part in auto, it shifts at 7,000 rpm.
Hey, may I ask you at what altitude you were, and if you have any modifications to your car? And finally, did you feel a speed limiter? This car's top speed is supposedly 171 (usually indicated), and yours climbed to almost 176. Was wondering if it's officially limited by drag or electronically. Have to say I was surprised to see it climb so quickly. Was expecting it to fall on its face above 160 mph. My salesman told me the car is supposedly electronically limited, but running it in sport+ mode with all nannies off removes the limiter. But you were running it in 'expert'. Anyway, the guy told me a customer of his claimed it ran his RC-F at 190. Without a flat bottom, I thought that impossible. But now I believe it could be true. Thank you for that video. Oh, and it was in Mexico, right? Ha ha.
Old 08-31-15, 06:37 AM
TigerAC3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF001
I need to try this. To my knowledge, my car holds in first gear unless the car is not up to operating temperature.
I confirmed last night that this also works using the paddles. Barely hit the limiter then shifted into second.
Old 08-31-15, 05:17 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey, may I ask you at what altitude you were, and if you have any modifications to your car? And finally, did you feel a speed limiter? This car's top speed is supposedly 171 (usually indicated), and yours climbed to almost 176. Was wondering if it's officially limited by drag or electronically. Have to say I was surprised to see it climb so quickly. Was expecting it to fall on its face above 160 mph. My salesman told me the car is supposedly electronically limited, but running it in sport+ mode with all nannies off removes the limiter. But you were running it in 'expert'. Anyway, the guy told me a customer of his claimed it ran his RC-F at 190. Without a flat bottom, I thought that impossible. But now I believe it could be true. Thank you for that video. Oh, and it was in Mexico, right? Ha ha.
This is not "my" F. I have reviewed a lot of RC F runs from 171-176 mph, and they are all quick. The RC F accelerates to approximately 176 in 40 seconds.

The RC F is speed limited, but it appears to bump beyond the published speed.

Lexus claimed the iS F could hit 189 mph, so who knows.