RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Joe Z Exhaust is On

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 07:58 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had my PTS/JoeZ system about 6 weeks now - I had a custom exhaust guy install it for about $130 because i'm lazy in my old age nowadays. He did say that it was a bit of a headache to get the fitment just right, mainly around the TVD, but the main headache was removing the various covers, etc, that were in the way. Soundwise, I'm really pleased with it, great balance between aggressive sound but not too intrusive. Makes the ASC redundant, I don't really hear it because the actual exhaust sound now exceeds it at the RPM range where it kicks in. Power gains? Very hard to say but no doubt it sounds and looks faster, which i guess after all is said and done is the point of it. I'm not completely in love with the look from the rear, I may end up spray-painting the ends of the mufflers flat black, similar to how the OEM mufflers were, just to tone that part down a bit, no pun intended. Then just the shiny stainless steel tips would catch the eye.
Old 09-04-15, 09:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Makes the ASC redundant
Has anybody tried to disconnect that crap? It supposedly has its own independent speaker somewhere in the dash. The artificial intake noise is enough for me. Somebody with a service manual should be able to locate it. I'd volunteer to disconnect it and report if successful, no problem. Thx.
Old 09-06-15, 07:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

If I owned one, I probably would have made a "How too.." by now...

Either way should be simple for the average Joe..

Originally Posted by Joe Z

For the RC F, in Sport S+ the extra sound your hearing comes from the "Active Sound Control" speaker behind the glove box..

Joe Z
Old 09-06-15, 12:38 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey everyone. I just got my buddy's GoPro today, so I haven't had a chance to shoot a proper video with the new exhaust. I did take a few iPhone clips, again this really doesn't do the exhaust any justice. It sounds so much better in person. I will have a comprehensive review soon, but bottom line, the exhaust is fantastic. It really gives the car the personality in deserved from the factory. I received a ton of compliments today at my local cars and coffee.

On a side note, in the first video, in one of the last long revs, the car emits a cloud of blueish smoke, but only on the left side exhaust. Not sure what to make of it just yet.

Old 09-06-15, 12:45 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Hey everyone. I just got my buddy's GoPro today, so I haven't had a chance to shoot a proper video with the new exhaust. I did take a few iPhone clips, again this really doesn't do the exhaust any justice. It sounds so much better in person. I will have a comprehensive review soon, but bottom line, the exhaust is fantastic. It really gives the car the personality in deserved from the factory. I received a ton of compliments today at my local cars and coffee.

On a side note, in the first video, in one of the last long revs, the car emits a cloud of blueish smoke, but only on the left side exhaust. Not sure what to make of it just yet.

2015 Lexus RC F with Joe Z PTS Exhaust. Startup and revs. - YouTube
2015 Lexus RC F Joe Z PTS Exhaust. Startup and revs 2 - YouTube
Nice videos! Sounds still tamed IMO!

The blue smoke might be oil going into the intake manifold, unplug the hose from your intake manifold and check if there is oil pooling on the hose connector, that should tell you.
Old 09-06-15, 12:50 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCF500

The blue smoke might be oil going into the intake manifold, unplug the hose from your intake manifold and check if there is oil pooling on the hose connector, that should tell you.
Thanks. I will get better ones very soon. Yes, it doesn't have quite the bark even at full tilt as yours, but a nice improvement for sure! I still think your exhaust is the nicest sounding available so far.

Yea I figure I will be installing a catch can in the near future. I am sure I have oil in the intake manifold like more people are finding. Is it typically confined to one side of the engine?

Springs are going on this week, really loving the RC F so far!
Old 09-06-15, 01:11 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Thanks. I will get better ones very soon. Yes, it doesn't have quite the bark even at full tilt as yours, but a nice improvement for sure! I still think your exhaust is the nicest sounding available so far.

Yea I figure I will be installing a catch can in the near future. I am sure I have oil in the intake manifold like more people are finding. Is it typically confined to one side of the engine?

Springs are going on this week, really loving the RC F so far!
Thanks! The RC F is a very solid car, I love it! Yes the A/O separator is confined on the driver side right by the oil cap, pictures are in this thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9175175
Old 09-06-15, 02:00 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Thanks! The RC F is a very solid car, I love it! Yes the A/O separator is confined on the driver side right by the oil cap, pictures are in this thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9175175
Sorry, I didn't mean where the A/O goes in terms of the drivers side, but meant is it normal to only see the blue smoke from the drivers side exhaust. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 09-06-15, 02:13 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

If I owned one, I probably would have made a "How too.." by now...

Yeah man, if I were a Joe that bad boy woulda' been outta there by now, no doubt. But funny thing is - I kinda like it now. First off it's barely noticeable with the exhaust system and it just adds the right sort-of tone to the exhaust rumble that gives it a very interesting "futuristic" kind of undertone, hard to explain. When I first got the car I was hell-bent to disable it but now I think I'll leave as is.
Old 09-07-15, 01:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

^^ Super glad you're enjoying the PTS Exhaust System

^^ In all fairness, you're running a NON Resonated exhaust..
It will be the loudest & untamed of them ALL, especially when you have the electronic valves opened

Joe Z
Old 09-07-15, 03:04 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks a lot for the info Joe. Seems like maybe just pulling a fuse is all it's needed. But you know what? Since I always drive these kind of cars in manual mode, I can't really hear the engine when not driving aggressively in sport mode. Furthermore, if driven in manual mode, don't think there's much difference between sport and sport+, so might leave the fake noise alone, so I can hear the 'engine'. Already changed both sport and sport+ to the same yellow-band rev counter (with both oil and coolant temp inside the gauge), so the only difference is the fake sound when driven normally. But thank you very much for the help. Might try to see if it has a dedicated fuse, and if there's no code with my scanner after removing it. Take care.

EDIT: That PTS exhaust sounds really nice. Any increased noise inside when cruising? Will research that system more. Was thinking of just removing the 'mid-pipe' behind the stock mufflers. Need to research that option as well. Thx.
Old 09-07-15, 05:45 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it me but I don't hear any sound from the clips...