Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-15, 12:22 PM
ilen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tires

I have RCF I need to purchase all season tires
Any idears on the kind of tires I should purchase?
Old 09-12-15, 01:38 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ilen
I have RCF I need to purchase all season tires. Any ideas on the kind of tires I should purchase?
First of all, with such large diameter/low-profile tires, you're only going to find them in the highest sub-category, which is 'ultra high-performance all-season', meaning they're still M+S approved (plus with high-speed rating). But they're closer to summer tires than to Camry A/S tires. To be honest, most owners would find they don't need any more than this kind of tire, plus they're cheaper, last longer, are quieter, and obviously much better in winter conditions. However, you still have to take it easy and understand under adverse circumstances, you still have to be careful. And I wouldn't use this car on heavily snowed roads, regardless of tire.

Having said the above, I did exactly this research with my M3 V8, and the best such tire by far was Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. You just need to check they're made in our sizes (they should, as they're typical sizes, not like the 265 on the M3). Just as a side note, our car already comes with the best summer tires available IMO, which are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. And yes, in cold/bad weather, they're much worse than the A/Ss. By the way, the A/Ss on my M3 were awesome. Their limits were a lot higher than I expected in summer. I like to push my cars a bit harder the few times I make it to the twisties, but will for sure consider them when tire change comes along. As I mentioned, they're cheaper, quieter, last a lot longer, and better overall than the PSSs at anything other than pushing the car to its limits. I'd certainly would welcome the 'quieter' aspect of them. If you get them, please let us know how you like them. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
AlexAviles (04-24-21)
Old 09-13-15, 04:45 AM
BAlbright
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. I live in York Pa. Where we do get some snow. My RCF is my daily driver so I'm concerned how I'll be able to get around this winter. I'm retired so I really don't have to leave the house if I don't want to, but at the same time, I hate to have to stay home because my car can't hack a little snow. I was already on track in my mind that when it came to replacing tires that I'd do an all season tire. Now I have something in mind. My understanding is that the tires are only good for some 15k miles....so I won't have to wait long.
Old 09-13-15, 01:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

I had Michelin Pilot A/S 3 for a few months before I returned them for Michelin Pilot Super Sport. It was only because I wanted summer tires since I already had a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 winter tires for winters.

Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are hands down the best all-season tires money can buy. You would be baffled at how they feel like proper high performance summer tires while being all-season tires. Only Michelin can make tires that give all-season capabilities without compromising the proper dry pavement grip and firewall stiffness.
Old 09-13-15, 06:33 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my RCF back in December and it came with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires. Problem was it was running between 20-40 degrees at that time and those summer tires were like driving around on hockey pucks. Try to take off and they would spin, try to stop and they would slide, try to make a U-turn and it would turn into a donut. Those summer tires are scary in cold weather.

I got the Michelin Pilot All Season 3 series and the problem was solved. I live in Dallas and only had cold weather to deal with, so I did not get any real experience on snow to speak of. I have been really impressed with the A/S 3 tires all around. Amazing grip in the cold and remarkable grip in the summer.

I put my summer tires back on the other day because I was planning on doing a track day before it gets to cold. For driving on normal roads at normal speeds and with some occasional "personal performance testing", I think the A/S 3 are better all around tires. Maybe its just my imagination, but it seems like the summer tires spin more easily going around corners in the hot Texas summer. I don't think the A/S 3's were spinning that much or maybe I just didn't feel it somehow?!? I'm going to keep the summer tires on a little longer and I have no problem shredding them on my track day, but I will have no problem putting the A/S 3 tires back on for everyday driving year round. I don't plan on buying another pair of summer tires unless I start spending more time on the track which is highly unlikely.
Old 09-16-15, 02:19 AM
ilen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking tires

I would like to thank everyone who has helped with my tires question::
Old 08-13-19, 07:02 PM
BondJames
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on the Pilot AS 3+. Have always ran Continental DWS ‘s in the past. 3 sets on a GS 300. Got an IS 250 came with Potenza AS and they were terrible in a light snow and rain. They did grip real good in summer. I got a nail outside the outer most tread and tire shop wouldn’t plug. $300 a piece what they quoted me on the Potenza’s. Had 12,000k on them. I told them the Potenzas weren’t a $300.00 tire. I plugged it and ran them for another 3k got tired of having to replug ever 3 months.
Michelins hookup great and do well in the snow. I went 1size wider than stock. I just had them replaced due to a defect in one. No belt separation just a thumping noise. Had all 4 replaced for $270.00. Whoa!!!! Had 20k on them. DWS is a good tire however, I don’t see myself going back to them.
What sold me was a UTube video of a guy in a WRX driving in rain and he claimed he couldn’t break them loose. He had the Subaru flying on those wet roads. Prior to this defect I think they are quieter than the DWS’s too. Have see a few comments on other forums commenting on the DWS growl.
I have never had summer tires and have seen comments the AS 3+ is comparable to a dedicated summer tire ? Can’t fairly comment on that.
Old 08-16-19, 05:36 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Continental Extreme Sport are great all season
Old 04-23-21, 07:17 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The Michelin Pilot Sports 4 has been the “ Go to” tires
for the SC 430 and I got a set. The tire handles well and also very quiet
tires
Old 04-23-21, 09:40 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPHER9425
Continental Extreme Sport are great all season
my wife has these tires on her car. They are definitely not all season.
Old 04-24-21, 11:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are old tires. go with the new Pilot Sport A/S 4.
Old 04-24-21, 04:58 PM
LoSt180
Advanced

Received 598 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are old tires. go with the new Pilot Sport A/S 4.
They don't make RCF sizes yet. A/S 3+ is still a good all season.
Old 04-29-21, 09:38 AM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you guys tried 285/35/19 on the rear on stock suspension and wheels? Mine came with mismatched tires with PS A/S 3+ in the front and Primacy 3 in the back. They're all very new, but obviously the rears will wear out much, much faster. I don't really like mismatched tires and I'll be driving in a lot of colder conditions so I'm thinking about replacing the rears with PS A/S 3+ as well. They don't have 275s but do have 285s, so I'm wondering how well they'd fit.
Old 04-29-21, 12:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by dingyibvs
Have you guys tried 285/35/19 on the rear on stock suspension and wheels? Mine came with mismatched tires with PS A/S 3+ in the front and Primacy 3 in the back. They're all very new, but obviously the rears will wear out much, much faster. I don't really like mismatched tires and I'll be driving in a lot of colder conditions so I'm thinking about replacing the rears with PS A/S 3+ as well. They don't have 275s but do have 285s, so I'm wondering how well they'd fit.
I explored that option, but the 285/35/19 is much taller than OEM size and I did not want to change the circumference. The PS4S especially the XL version, is a very chunky tire. It has a very beefy and big-block sidewall. It is about half an inch wider than the OEM tire with both being 275 mm width because of how big the sidewall is. The other option was 285/30, but that actually reduces the circumference quite significantly. The only closest to stock circumference is 295/30, but I did not go with it because of the same reason above. It might have been too big and might potentially rub.
Old 04-29-21, 01:52 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I explored that option, but the 285/35/19 is much taller than OEM size and I did not want to change the circumference. The PS4S especially the XL version, is a very chunky tire. It has a very beefy and big-block sidewall. It is about half an inch wider than the OEM tire with both being 275 mm width because of how big the sidewall is. The other option was 285/30, but that actually reduces the circumference quite significantly. The only closest to stock circumference is 295/30, but I did not go with it because of the same reason above. It might have been too big and might potentially rub.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought the diameter would change that much from 275 to 285. Also interestingly, I see tirerack have 275/35/19 available now? Maybe I'll just go with that then.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...S3PL&tab=Sizes

Quick Reply: Tires