RCF Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-15, 06:53 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCF Burning Oil?

Hey guys,

A while back I had checked my dipstick and it was a bit below full.

I had added a small amount of Lucas oil stabilizer last time and drove off thinking they may have been light on the fill from factory (although i'm sure I checked while new)

Then at approximately 4000kms the oil level low warning light popped on and I had to add nearly a quart of oil.

This seems excessive as I NEVER had burning oil or PCV issues with either of my ISF's.

I'm going to tear off the intake and PCV lines today to see if there is any build up.

No it does not look like there are any leaks under the car.
Old 09-19-15, 07:37 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely not normal for a new car. Take it to your dealership since it should be under warranty.
Old 09-19-15, 07:53 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

That seems kinda excessive for that few miles. I used about a quart for the initial break in at around 4-5k miles ( I'm aware you're in Km). Since the initial break in I haven't needed to add oil and I check my oil about every other day.
Old 09-19-15, 08:07 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

at 3500 miles I had to add a QT, just had my oil changed so we will see. Also this car takes about 10 QT's of oil.
Old 09-19-15, 11:50 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
at 3500 miles I had to add a QT, just had my oil changed so we will see. Also this car takes about 10 QT's of oil.
Ryan do you use a Special Brand or just what the OEM calls for?
Old 09-19-15, 02:19 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Ryan do you use a Special Brand or just what the OEM calls for?
I only use Motul for what it's worth. OEM filter.
8100 Eco-nergy
Old 09-19-15, 07:57 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks C, Appreciate it Buddy!
Old 09-20-15, 07:51 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Whatever oil that the Lexus dealer put in it, I think it was Penzoil.
Old 09-20-15, 10:40 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Hey guys,

A while back I had checked my dipstick and it was a bit below full.

I had added a small amount of Lucas oil stabilizer last time and drove off thinking they may have been light on the fill from factory (although i'm sure I checked while new)

Then at approximately 4000kms the oil level low warning light popped on and I had to add nearly a quart of oil.

This seems excessive as I NEVER had burning oil or PCV issues with either of my ISF's.

I'm going to tear off the intake and PCV lines today to see if there is any build up.

No it does not look like there are any leaks under the car.
If you are redlining the RCF a lot, it's going to consume some oil. It burns more oil than my IS F, but it's also a new, more powerful and higher revving engine.

If is becomes excessive, take it in.
Old 09-20-15, 12:28 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

This car needs an oil catch-can more than any other car I've seen. Somebody posted a catch can filled up with just ONE 20-min track-day session. Don't know how many ounces it was, but if you drive the car aggressively, I suspect most of that 'missing' oil was probably burned by the engine thru the intake. Reportedly, the IS-F has/had the same problem, and the PCV system is identical on the RC-F, even though Lexus knew about the problem. Go figure. It sucks not knowing how much of that oil is really being burned thru the engine and how much thru the intake. I want to install a catch-can, but want something OEM-looking, not a ricer one with bright brackets full of letters, and worst of all, having to hack your $300 engine cover to fit it. Hopefully somebody will come with a Lexus-like solution to that problem. And yes, it sucks having to spend money on something like that, but in the long run, burning such an amount of oil can't be good, especially on a DI engine.
Old 09-21-15, 12:57 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,390 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
This car needs an oil catch-can more than any other car I've seen. Somebody posted a catch can filled up with just ONE 20-min track-day session. Don't know how many ounces it was, but if you drive the car aggressively, I suspect most of that 'missing' oil was probably burned by the engine thru the intake. Reportedly, the IS-F has/had the same problem, and the PCV system is identical on the RC-F, even though Lexus knew about the problem. Go figure. It sucks not knowing how much of that oil is really being burned thru the engine and how much thru the intake. I want to install a catch-can, but want something OEM-looking, not a ricer one with bright brackets full of letters, and worst of all, having to hack your $300 engine cover to fit it. Hopefully somebody will come with a Lexus-like solution to that problem. And yes, it sucks having to spend money on something like that, but in the long run, burning such an amount of oil can't be good, especially on a DI engine.
It needs an Air/Oil Separator like we offer. We updated our model to fit both IS-F and RC-F models, and we have several RC-F customers. This is one of the most popular products on CL for the IS-F. You can check the following thread:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...separator.html

The price is very reasonable for such a product! Check it out on our website:https://www.rr-racing.com/
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-21-15, 09:32 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
We updated our model to fit both IS-F and RC-F models
But that's still the one that requires hacking your cover, right? As I mentioned, that's unacceptable to me. How about the model you mentioned fitting under the engine cover? I couldn't care less about being self-draining or not. Just give us something that doesn't look like it belongs on a Civic (no offense meant; just my opinon). Any news/specs/photos on that under-the-cover model? Thx.
Old 09-28-15, 07:55 AM
buch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
But that's still the one that requires hacking your cover, right? As I mentioned, that's unacceptable to me. How about the model you mentioned fitting under the engine cover? I couldn't care less about being self-draining or not. Just give us something that doesn't look like it belongs on a Civic (no offense meant; just my opinon). Any news/specs/photos on that under-the-cover model? Thx.
Did you ever hear back from RRR on this comment?
Old 09-28-15, 08:43 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by buch
Did you ever hear back from RRR on this comment?
I'm in the process of cutting my engine cover to accommodate the A/O separator, still needs to be smoothed out a bit. I also ordered some different bolts to hold the canister to the bracket because the ones provided are rather large albeit able to be removed by hand.

Sucks having to cut the cover apart but it's probably not that big of a deal to replace down the road if needed.
Old 09-28-15, 03:05 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Why not just let the oil go back in the engine? Seems like they knew it would do it and I am sure it's not going to cause problems or they would of done something different.

Seems like putting it in a can that I have to empty all the time is more of a pain then letting it work as it should from the factory.

Quick Reply: RCF Burning Oil?