RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Hot Lap

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 09:41 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF001
And you speak from what experience with the car?

You've challenged the capabilities of the TVD?

This car is extremely track worthy and capable.
I own a TVD RC-F. I've owned and driven tons of cars in its class. I've beat on the RC-F hard in all 3 TVD modes to get a sense of what it's trying to do. So yea, I can tell that the RC-F sucks in comparison when taking quick lateral transitions regardless of what TVD mode you're in.

And if you're curious, it does best in Slalom mode for lateral transitions.
Old 10-01-15, 09:57 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I think the RC F has torque issue at low RPM, not all NA V8 cars. The 2014 Corvette lapped the track 5 seconds faster with an NA V8 with the same driver
You can't compare a 6.2L pushrod V8 with a 5L DOHC one; you need to drive them VERY differently for maximum performance. And yes, the former obviously has more torque, especially low-end.
Old 10-01-15, 10:12 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
I own a TVD RC-F. I've owned and driven tons of cars in its class. I've beat on the RC-F hard in all 3 TVD modes to get a sense of what it's trying to do. So yea, I can tell that the RC-F sucks in comparison when taking quick lateral transitions regardless of what TVD mode you're in.

And if you're curious, it does best in Slalom mode for lateral transitions.
Thanks...been there, done that too. I am referring to exceptional lateral grip in track mode under extreme cornering.

I'll agree. The car makes fast lateral transitions in slalom setting.

My experience is the car corners like a demon. It sounds like your TVD might be defective. You might want to get it inspected. My 3 setting are substantially different and produce significantly different responses.
Old 10-01-15, 10:19 AM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm surprised no one posted the Motor Trend article that accompanies this hot lap video.

Originally Posted by Motor Trend

8th Place: Lexus RC-F

Fast, Ferocious and Flawed

In a day and age when turbocharging and downsizing are the names of the game to producing high-performance (and more fuel-efficient) engines -- look, Bentley dropped all the way down to a twin-turbo, 4.0-liter V-8 -- the naturally aspirated motor is fast becoming the California condor of Best Driver's Car. In fact, in this year's field, only the Mazda MX-5, Porsche GT4, and Lexus RC F came unboosted, and of those only the Lexus offered eight cylinders. And yes, we adored all eight of 'em.

Frank Markus: "I LOVE this engine note! There's nothing like a naturally aspirated V-8 to stand your neck hairs on end."

Angus MacKenzie: "Though not among the horsepower elite in this year's field, the naturally aspirated V-8 is satisfyingly responsive and impressively punchy and revs all the way to 7,200 rpm."

Randy Pobst: "I love the engine. It's sweet, high-revving."During our road evaluation up and down Route 198, we also found much to love with the RC F's eight-speed automatic, from its quick, seamless shifts and intuitive programming to its spine-tingling, throttle-blipping downshifts in Sport+ mode. MacKenzie even opined, "Easily bests the Caddy CTS-V's tranny in terms of smoothness and responsiveness.

"Not surprising, the 5.0-liter, eight-speed powertrain puts down fast stats—0-60 in 4.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds at 110.3 mph—including a lap time of 1:43.20 around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Sure, the Lexus' time is about three ticks off that of last year's BMW M4 (1:39.69), but it's still quicker than the Audi RS 5 (1:43.60) and the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Edition 507 (1:43.49) that we lapped back in 2013.

Problem is, the Lexus' speed doesn't translate to emotion, a much-needed qualifier when ranking contenders for Best Driver's Car. Per Jonny Lieberman: "I want engagement. I want to be thrilled. What I don't want is to get out of the car thinking, 'That's much faster than I thought.' That's the problem with the RC F." The car's unrelenting suspension over bumpy pavement was more problematic. Noted Jason Cammisa: "With this bouncy suspension, it's no wonder the ESP system has been programmed to handle Nurburgring jumps. The damn thing is always pogoing off the ground."

In addition to the V-8, Pobst heaped praise on the power and behavior of the RC F's braking system around MRLS ("The brakes stayed strong. The car was straight as an arrow—no moving around, just planted. So the RC F is really good in the brake zone.") but not much else. "You release the brakes, and it's like a box of chocolates," he noted. "You're not real sure what you're going to get. One minute it's oversteer, next minute it just pushes. The handling still needs to go to finishing school. It's a difficult car to drive fast because its characteristics are different in every corner." Further, although the eight-speed auto proved a champ on the street, Pobst deemed it more of a chump on the track. "I was completely distracted by the shift program; not happy. I'd get into a hairpin—especially a slow hairpin like Turn 2 or the Corkscrew—turn down into the corner, go for the power, nobody home. Blah!"As MacKenzie put it: "First impressions of the RC F are good. Drive it beyond seven-tenths, though, and the chassis falls apart." So enroll the RC F in finishing school, Lexus, address those three-tenths, and invite us back to graduation—we'd be happy to take it for another spin.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_drivers_car/
Old 10-01-15, 11:14 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

They should test ALL automatic cars in manual mode on any track, especially with a torque-converter tranny (Corvettes, RC-F, etc), for more consistency. Can't imagine driving a sports car on a track in freaking auto mode, but maybe others like it. But just don't complain you didn't have fun.
Old 10-01-15, 11:26 AM
rage2
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISF001
Thanks...been there, done that too. I am referring to exceptional lateral grip in track mode under extreme cornering.

I'll agree. The car makes fast lateral transitions in slalom setting.

My experience is the car corners like a demon. It sounds like your TVD might be defective. You might want to get it inspected. My 3 setting are substantially different and produce significantly different responses.
Slow down there cowboy, when did I say my settings feel the same in all 3 modes? I'm just talking purely about lateral transitions, and for that particular handling trait, Slalom is best on the RC-F. You need to drive more cars if you think the RC-F is top of class in that trait. The M4, you can throw it through whatever transitions near the limit, and it just stays planted. My last car (C63 Black Series), same deal, the rear end just stays planted and doesn't need time to settle on a transition. The RC-F's rear end does not like the weight transfer, it'll want to swing out, so you need to slow down, let it settle, before accelerating back up. That's why I said Laguna Seca actually favors the RC-F, as there aren't many lateral transitions aside from the corkscrew.

Don't get me wrong, the lateral grip once things are settled down is pretty solid, but that's just one piece of the handling puzzle. Then you have power on push, off camber push, trail brake oversteer, all that adds up because you have to drive around those issues, which hurts laptimes. For someone unfamiliar with the car, it's going to hurt laptimes even more. But I guess my TVD is broken, and so was Randy's...
Old 10-01-15, 12:31 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I'm surprised no one posted the Motor Trend article that accompanies this hot lap video.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...t_drivers_car/
Cool, I missed this before, thanks for posting. As others have said in this thread so far, I dont think anyone bought this car for laptimes, at least I hope no one did. At the end of the day, it is by far not a perfect car, but I am not sure there is such a thing anyway. That being said, I wouldn't want any other car right now, it this price point/category, as a daily driver.

The 1:43 laptime here is really quite good too (if anyone has Forza 6 for the XboxOne, the RC F is in there and I had a hard time even coming close to this time, amazing game BTW), and if we think Randy should have been in manual mode, well maybe there was some time left on the track, but the overall reason for this test was drivers car, not laptimes. I have yet to track the car, so I can't comment on the transitions, but my track of choice RA is more sweeping corners anyway.

I'd be curious if a good set of coilovers helps to get rid of some of the suspension complaints seen in this test.

Also if you are on xbox and want to race in FM6, my GT is Stroganoff17. Also have an awesome B class RC F tune, good for top 1% on many leaderboards..... sorry way off topic
Old 10-01-15, 03:07 PM
rage2
Rookie

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
The 1:43 laptime here is really quite good too (if anyone has Forza 6 for the XboxOne, the RC F is in there and I had a hard time even coming close to this time, amazing game BTW)
Challenge accepted!

My best lap without cutting any corners in the P1 matched Randy's time to the tenth. Probably could've been a little faster if I used traction control though. It'll be interesting to see what I can do in the RC-F. In the game, it's not very competitive either. I had to drive like a **** to beat the other cars with difficulty cranked up...

Old 10-01-15, 03:32 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Challenge accepted!

My best lap without cutting any corners in the P1 matched Randy's time to the tenth. Probably could've been a little faster if I used traction control though. It'll be interesting to see what I can do in the RC-F. In the game, it's not very competitive either. I had to drive like a **** to beat the other cars with difficulty cranked up...

RC-F Troll - YouTube
Ok guys...I'm gonna accept this challenge, as well. Haven't driven the RCF on the game so it will take a bit to get up to speed (no pun). Which one of you have the fastest lap?
Old 10-01-15, 04:05 PM
rage2
Rookie

I haven't tried yet.

We're doing this with a bone stock RC-F on bone stock settings right?
Old 10-01-15, 04:47 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrRick
Ok guys...I'm gonna accept this challenge, as well. Haven't driven the RCF on the game so it will take a bit to get up to speed (no pun). Which one of you have the fastest lap?
OK we should create a new thread with the details. At the least let's trade GT so we can setup some rivals runs. Say B class, Laguna Seca, RCF tuned to top of class? Could do stock too. Glad to find some other FM players. Add me, GT Stroganoff17.
Old 10-01-15, 05:22 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried yet.

We're doing this with a bone stock RC-F on bone stock settings right?

Yup. Just make sure it has TVD!!!
Old 10-01-15, 06:18 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

thought the front page would be into this discussion too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/r...vers-car-comp/
Old 10-01-15, 07:57 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrRick
I ran a 1:42xx in my tuned B class RC F, and a 1:47xx in the bone stock car.
Old 10-01-15, 09:19 PM
rage2
Rookie

Just got home, sat down and ran 2 laps, clocked a 1:44.531 on my second lap on a bone stock RCF, no tuning, and only ABS for assists. Can probably get close to Randy's time if I had a cleaner lap.

Stupid test drive mode, couldn't save the replay, just got the last 2 1/2 corners with Xbox record.

Quick Reply: RC F Hot Lap