RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

How-To: Interior LED Bulb Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 02:39 PM
SleepKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
Took me about 30-45 mins to do this only because I did it at night in my garage. If I were to do it again, I'd do it during the day, in the driveway, where you can open up both doors fully and run the air conditioning to stay cool.

Now, this isn't the most thorough How-To post but lets be honest.....it's light bulbs people, we aren't installing headers, so I didn't get too descriptive since most of its common sense when you get into the installation. The one thing to note is that the pics don't do the "level of brightness" any justice. These new LEDS are MUCH MUCH MUCH brighter. The best frame of reference for brightness is the picture of the vanity lights (the comparison photo). That specific picture gives a good perspective of the difference in brightness.

Hope this helps someone. Post your questions here vice sending me a PM, that way everyone can learn from the feedback. Cheers!

THREAD UPDATE: There are videos now to go along with the writeup.
Thanks for the great guide!!

I'm also considering going with the same exact bulbs from superbrightleds.com, but do you have any thoughts on the vanity ones being "too bright?" Since those ones are essentially shinning directly in your face. Thinking I might get the lower powered 85 lumen ones for the 2 vanities but would like your take on it first.

Thanks!!
Old 11-06-15, 06:20 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepKing
Thanks for the great guide!!

I'm also considering going with the same exact bulbs from superbrightleds.com, but do you have any thoughts on the vanity ones being "too bright?" Since those ones are essentially shinning directly in your face. Thinking I might get the lower powered 85 lumen ones for the 2 vanities but would like your take on it first.

Thanks!!
I don't mind the brightness of them but I also never use them for their intended purpose either.
Old 11-06-15, 11:40 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
Just added videos for all LED bulb replacements in the original post....hope this helps those who needed more clarification.

Thanks for the tutorial. Which bulb did you buy the one that says cam bus? The site offers two types. Thanks.
Old 11-07-15, 05:08 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks for the tutorial. Which bulb did you buy the one that says cam bus? The site offers two types. Thanks.
Use the model number in the pics. Match the price and you'll find the right one.
Old 12-14-15, 10:42 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know the bulb type and wattage of the front & rear dome lights? I just replaced all the other lights but there was no reference to these lights in the owners manual. The results look much better than the stock bulbs and visibility is better also particularly in the trunk,

It seems in the front dome light, the 2 sides map lights appears to be white LEDs but the center one appears a bit yellow as does the rear dome light.

Anyone know how to remove the clear lens correctly without damage?

I also plan to replace the rear back up lights as well.
The lights came off my 2014 IS but the dome lights are different on the RC F

Appreciate your advice!
Old 12-15-15, 06:40 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Excellent write-up, I'll be trying this as soon as my LEDs come in. Also if you use the code GIFT10 you'll get an extra 10% off your order every little bit helps lol.
Old 12-16-15, 04:06 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tx_is300
does anyone know the bulb type and wattage of the front & rear dome lights? I just replaced all the other lights but there was no reference to these lights in the owners manual. The results look much better than the stock bulbs and visibility is better also particularly in the trunk,

It seems in the front dome light, the 2 sides map lights appears to be white LEDs but the center one appears a bit yellow as does the rear dome light.

Anyone know how to remove the clear lens correctly without damage?

I also plan to replace the rear back up lights as well.
The lights came off my 2014 IS but the dome lights are different on the RC F

Appreciate your advice!
Not sure on the wattage. The front/rear are already LED, that's why you don't replace them plus they are PITA to get to if you tried to replace them.
Old 12-19-15, 03:15 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the excellent DIY on how to remove the lenses for each light, saved a lot of headache and potential breakage of parts that are always a real PITA to get, not to mention expensive. Only thing I can add is that I have used the brand of bulbs you bought, and a few other, cheaper types, until coming across VLEDS. I think these are essentially high-end LEDS, but they perform and outlast every other brand I have used. I did a complete changover on my 08 G37 with superbrightleds but found them lasing only a year to 18 months or so, then switched over to VLEDS and found much better quality. Of course, quality comes at a price.
Old 12-19-15, 11:45 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
then switched over to VLEDS and found much better quality.
I did that many years ago, when SBLEDs was using crappy bulbs. But started having problems with VLED's, and now SBLEDs are much better in appearance and quality IMO. The only exception is VLED's Triton V3 turn-signal LED bulbs, which I have on the RC-F and other cars, and no problems yet. Recently bought super bright amber bulbs for my bike, and had to return them because they're a washed out amber color, not true amber. Only their Tritons are true amber, and very bright.
Old 12-20-15, 08:11 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

So I just swapped all my bulbs this morning and it took me all of 15 minutes, thanks again for the write-up it made this very easy!
Old 12-21-15, 10:14 PM
GixxerGuy
Rookie

Look forward to replacing mine! Thanks for the write up.
Old 02-07-16, 04:24 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Do you have to use the grey plastic casings? Or is it ok to wire new bulb bases?
Old 02-08-16, 04:23 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lakersfan
Do you have to use the grey plastic casings? Or is it ok to wire new bulb bases?
You lost me? All I replaced was the bulbs....
Old 02-19-16, 11:47 AM
Sagane
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great write-up! I did this bulb change-out and am pleased with the results.

I chose not to use a pick-tool to extract the foot well bulbs for fear of damaging something. Instead I used some "Nexcare Waterproof Tape" to ease the extraction of the bulbs. I put the sticky side of the tape around the bulb. The slightly rubbery surface of the tape made it a snap to remove the bulbs with fingers!

BTW, here is the URL for NexCare Absolute Waterproof Tape...its great to put over Bandaids, to keep them from coming off, and keep them dry.

http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M...4631805&rt=rud

Last edited by Sagane; 02-19-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 04:39 PM
raerae1616
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know why the images are no longer available? Can anyone update this and re-post as it looks like it was a great thread!

Quick Reply: How-To: Interior LED Bulb Replacements