RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Drag Race: RC-F v Cayman GT4 v M4 v i8 (video)....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 05:24 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drag Race: RC-F v Cayman GT4 v M4 v i8 (video)....

<p class="vj-videolink"><a href="http://www.pistonheads.com/tv/film/video-porsche-cayman-gt4-vs-lexus-rc-f-vs-bmw-m4-vs-bmw-i8-drag-race" target="_blank">Video: Porsche Cayman GT4 Vs Lexus RC-F Vs BMW M4 Vs BMW I8 Drag Race</a></p>
Old 10-12-15, 06:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Thank you for posting.

Nice showing by the RCF. 2nd place can't be a bad thing.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-12-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 07:47 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thank you for posting.

if you're not first you're last.

I had the same run in with an M4 in Kelowna.
Old 10-12-15, 09:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't like the M4 personally, but it's easily the quickest car of that test. How hard was to learn its launch control? And the i8 looked to finish ahead of the RC-F, and not by a hair, which means in reality the RC-F is last. But still close to all of them. To me though, the RC-F has the best driving position and best interior (design, execution, feel, materials, etc), so I don't care if it's a few ticks behind its more expensive competitors.
Old 10-12-15, 10:00 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I don't like the M4 personally, but it's easily the quickest car of that test. How hard was to learn its launch control? And the i8 looked to finish ahead of the RC-F, and not by a hair, which means in reality the RC-F is last. But still close to all of them. To me though, the RC-F has the best driving position and best interior (design, execution, feel, materials, etc), so I don't care if it's a few ticks behind its more expensive competitors.
Launch control on the M3/4 is nothing more than holding the revs at a certain rpm and dumping the clutch. There seems to be no modulation of the throttle to limit wheel spin. It's damn near useless.
Old 10-12-15, 10:37 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by DrRick
Launch control on the M3/4 is nothing more than holding the revs at a certain rpm and dumping the clutch. There seems to be no modulation of the throttle to limit wheel spin. It's damn near useless.
That's what TC (in M mode) is for. That driver either didn't engage LC, or fully disabled TC thinking he was Vettel. Or maybe both. Ha ha. At any rate, not a good driver, and quite embarrassing, especially for BMW. If you can only engage LC with TC off on the new M4, then you just don't use it without knowing what you're doing. My E92 M3 took off like a scalded cat. Not nearly as quick as the GTR, but definitely very consistently. Surprised they didn't do the test again, since it was clearly a blatant driver error. Good for us though.

By the way, which modes are best to launch the RC-F? Sport+ or sport+ expert, and auto or manual? The latter may allow excessive wheelspin, so probably just sport+, no? But manual or auto? And does the ECU allow brake-torquing with SST (smart stop technology)? Not that I'd do that to my car, but just curious if the ECU doesn't kill the power when both pedals are depressed. It supposedly does it only when the brake is pressed last, but maybe also above certain rpm when stopped, to prevent tranny damage. Thx.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-12-15 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 11:28 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thank you for posting.

Actually if you watched @ 1:38 it shows porsche 1st, i8 2nd and RcF 3rd. I know the narrator said lexus 2nd but based on the video it clearly shows lexus was 3rd
Old 10-13-15, 04:25 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<p class="vj-videolink"><a href="http://www.pistonheads.com/tv/film/video-porsche-cayman-gt4-vs-lexus-rc-f-vs-bmw-m4-vs-bmw-i8-drag-race" target="_blank">Video: Porsche Cayman GT4 Vs Lexus RC-F Vs BMW M4 Vs BMW I8 Drag Race</a></p>
Nice piece with 4 highly respectable machines.

Honestly, the M4 might as well have an oil spray in the wheel wells. No stick...no traction.
Old 10-13-15, 05:39 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

That's what TC (in M mode) is for. That driver either didn't engage LC, or fully disabled TC thinking he was Vettel. Or maybe both. Ha ha. At any rate, not a good driver, and quite embarrassing, especially for BMW. If you can only engage LC with TC off on the new M4, then you just don't use it without knowing what you're doing. My E92 M3 took off like a scalded cat. Not nearly as quick as the GTR, but definitely very consistently. Surprised they didn't do the test again, since it was clearly a blatant driver error. Good for us though.

By the way, which modes are best to launch the RC-F? Sport+ or sport+ expert, and auto or manual? The latter may allow excessive wheelspin, so probably just sport+, no? But manual or auto? And does the ECU allow brake-torquing with SST (smart stop technology)? Not that I'd do that to my car, but just curious if the ECU doesn't kill the power when both pedals are depressed. It supposedly does it only when the brake is pressed last, but maybe also above certain rpm when stopped, to prevent tranny damage. Thx.
And that's the problem...you have to completely disable DSC. On most cars...the LC will still modulate wheel spin even with your foot planted firmly on the mat. In the M3/4...it just allows you to lay long patches of Michelin rubber. It's really no different than dumping the clutch and having to feather the throttle in manual cars. Smh...

This is the 2nd 'drag race' that they've had in England where the BMW comes in DFL to supposedly slower cars...
Old 10-13-15, 08:29 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

And that's the problem...you have to completely disable DSC. On most cars...the LC will still modulate wheel spin even with your foot planted firmly on the mat. In the M3/4...it just allows you to lay long patches of Michelin rubber. It's really no different than dumping the clutch and having to feather the throttle in manual cars. Smh...

This is the 2nd 'drag race' that they've had in England where the BMW comes in DFL to supposedly slower cars...
If it won't put the power down to the asphalt, what the heck good is the ride?

A bloody shame, but it's a smoke house.
Old 10-13-15, 08:45 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF001
If it won't put the power down to the asphalt, what the heck good is the ride?

A bloody shame, but it's a smoke house.
it can put the power down...as shown by its tested and verified 0-60/quarter mile times. but the LC is just trash. a Vette with the same kinda traction control would produce the same results. the question is...why is BMW's LC so hit or miss?
Old 10-13-15, 10:39 AM
JCtx
Racer

And that's the problem...you have to completely disable DSC. On most cars...the LC will still modulate wheel spin even with your foot planted firmly on the mat. In the M3/4...it just allows you to lay long patches of Michelin rubber. It's really no different than dumping the clutch and having to feather the throttle in manual cars.
LC without clutch/throttle modulation (via TC) in a powerful RWD car is useless indeed. Guy should have just stomped on the throttle in the most aggressive D mode, like I assume the RC-F guy did. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-15, 05:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

LC without clutch/throttle modulation (via TC) in a powerful RWD car is useless indeed. Guy should have just stomped on the throttle in the most aggressive D mode, like I assume the RC-F guy did. Thanks for the info.
Manual mode in the RC F off the line seems to have better grip for me...enough to make a difference in a comparative run.
Old 10-13-15, 06:28 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by ISF001
Manual mode in the RC F off the line seems to have better grip for me...enough to make a difference in a comparative run.
Thank you. No brake-torquing, correct?