RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2015 RC F Fuel Pump Fails at 2.600 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 09:13 AM
SinghC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually happened, their car was brand new and worked just fine too. I understand that no one likes if their baby has warts. the point am making here is that maybe the standards of Lexus have slipped from before and if that has, it is not okay and should not be accepted by the community of users.
Seems most responders are taking my frustration as a personal affront . If we do not demand better will it stay the way it was?
Old 10-17-15, 12:05 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SinghC
the point am making here is that maybe the standards of Lexus have slipped from before and if that has, it is not okay and should not be accepted by the community of users. Seems most responders are taking my frustration as a personal affront.
On the bold statement, unfortunately, yes; you're dealing mostly with fanboys on forums like this. But I'm like you. I'm no 'fanatic' of any car brand, model, or any other object. I buy a vehicle on its own merits after plenty of research, and just because I like/liked a certain brand and/or model, doesn't make me a 'fan', meaning I'll buy every model after that. Or just that brand from now on. Case in point: I never liked the M3 until the E92 came along. And don't like the new ones. So I was a fan of the E92 M3 ONLY; not an M3 fan, and not a BMW fan. In fact, I was an E92 M3 fan until I was told it needed a new engine due to defective crank bearings... exactly the problem that plagued the previous M3. That's another example of crap that SHOULDN'T happen, so no more BMWs for me. Finally, it's a mistake to buy a first-time model nowadays, like I did with the M3 and many other cars, including the RC-F. That proves once more Lexus is now like most manufactuers, who use their customers as beta-testers, rather than doing things right the first time... which was Lexus initial quality mantra. Not anymore.

I absolutely agree with you on your first statement quoted above. If you see my sig, the reason for that big gap is exactly what you mentioned. And I have to say I'm still disappointed at Lexus 11 years later, since I know what it used to be... but not anymore. This car is the worst by far as far as build quality. Has the most rattles I've ever had by far, and not a little one here and there; annoying as hell. And car only has 700 miles. Not even my Huyndai Azera Limited beater car I use for traveling has anything remotely close to the RC-F with over 23K miles, and those are rough miles in super crappy roads. And for those who just say: take it to a dealer, that's exactly what I did with the SC430, and it was returned to me with scuffs everywhere, a big scratch on the console, steering wheel, and door, and obviously, car was like that when I confronted the service person when climbing into the car. Apparently they let the techs work with their pocket chains, boots with clasps, big rings, etc. So I hear your frustration man. That's why I DO NOT let anybody touch my cars anymore, especially for rattles, since that typically requires a tech to climb everywhere. I do that myself without shoes, belt, and no jewelry whatsoever. But with the airbags in there, I'm afraid to touch this one. The worst rattles are all over the curtain airbag from A to B pillars. And I'm talking so loud not even the stereo drowns them out, since they're right by my left ear. That's just completely unacceptable on a supposed luxury car.

Anyway, let me comment on your problem. I'd probably be just like you if it was a major mechanical issue. In fact, I've sold many cars for that reason; I just don't trust a freaking dealer (again, from personal experience, not unfounded fear), especially a smaller one, to do a major job right. That's how a lemon car is born. But something like the fuel pump, it SHOULD be a relatively easy problem to fix. Hopefully it can be accessed from the outside, and WITHOUT having to drop the tank. That being the case, the chances to screw up that job as small. My only concern is always scratches/scuffs on the inside from careless people jumping in and out of the car, rubbing seats, hitting the door panel, sill area, etc. while in service. If the pump needs to be accessed from under a rear seat inside the car (like the GTR), then I wouldn't be happy at all. But wouldn't sell the car just for that. I'd remove the seat myself, and protect/wrap everything around to prevent damage as much as possible. And yes, a bad fuel pump is always a problem that can be eliminated by careful quality control, so not an excuse at all. Yeah, crap happens, but shouldn't. And not 'bad mouthing' your car because you own it is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, especially from mature folks. That's called fanboyism, and you're exactly right that if everybody was like that, no manufacturer would improve their products. Bottom line is I'm with you on everything, except selling the car because of that. You can do that, and would be justified. But my point is it's not a wise financial decision. At least not yet. I'm also disappointed at the issues I'm having. Just hope they don't get any worse, because I'm sick and tired of having to sell my cars way earllier than I wanted, for little things like we're experiencing that eventually make me fall out of love with the car. I'm more tolerant now, but am certainly thinking twice about buying an LS460 sport for my wife, and giving MB a chance now, even though it'll cost me more. Good luck, and please keep us posted. At least I AM interested in your problem and resolution. Take care man.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-17-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 10:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

I get the OP's frustration...

Usually with Lexus, even first model year launch doesn't deal with these type of mechanical failures...

I had a 2001 IS300 purchased in July 2000... Within the first month I needed to have the axle section of my exhaust replaced cause it was ticking after heat expansion... Pretty loud I might add..
But it didn't leave me on the side of the road.

My 2008 IS F has had some parts go, but not within the first year of ownership.. Some covered under warranty, some replaced on my own.. Now has 110k miles.. Still hasn't left me on the road.. Still enjoying it..!!

Lately the recent generation GS and IS have had major battery drain issues.. It's not the battery..
But owners are left with a dead car or need a boost to get back home..

Now we're dealing with this faulty fuel pump issues on the RC F.. Heck I would be pissed if I dropped 75k on one and my fuel pump left me stranded or has been replaced 2-3 times..

Lexus has the time & resources to develop these cars.. If the fuel pump
being manufactured is failing sporadically, they need to work faster with the maker or find a new manufacturer to make it right for the owners..

This problem is not going away anytime soon, until they solve the issue with a new part #

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-18-15 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 12:56 PM
Flaw
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like he is upset because it happend in Oakland!
Old 10-20-15, 04:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Flaw
Would you rather it go it when you need the throttle to respond immediately ??

Location doesn't matter..

~ Joe Z
Old 10-20-15, 07:38 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaw
You don't want to be without a fast getaway car in Oakland!
Old 10-21-15, 04:45 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AEM fuel pump solution?

Does anyone know if there's an after-market fuel fump solution for the 2URGSE 5.0 V8 (IS F/RC F) engine?
Old 10-21-15, 05:53 PM
SinghC
Driver School Candidate

Update - got it back yesterday - was delayed two days as Lexus was to send a tech to the dealership. Fuel Pump replaced, the Lexus Tech drove it around 18 miles and certified it as good to go. The service manager had no clue that this was a problem with this model, he was just worried that I would vent my frustration at him, which i did not., reason for this comment is that there is probably no service advisory about the model.
By the way I went to college in Berkeley so I actually like Oakland
Old 10-21-15, 06:15 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SinghC
Update - got it back yesterday - was delayed two days as Lexus was to send a tech to the dealership. Fuel Pump replaced, the Lexus Tech drove it around 18 miles and certified it as good to go. The service manager had no clue that this was a problem with this model, he was just worried that I would vent my frustration at him, which i did not., reason for this comment is that there is probably no service advisory about the model.
By the way I went to college in Berkeley so I actually like Oakland
Glad they got it fixed. You should send your dealership the link to the other FUEL PUMP post, maybe if enough folks beat their service advisors up about it and share the link, Lexus "may" do something about it.

I take mine in tomorrow for it's first 1000 mile service (kinda of a waste of time, but it's free).
Old 10-21-15, 09:28 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
maybe if enough folks beat their service advisors up about it and share the link, Lexus "may" do something about it.
Exactly! I'd be really pissed if my fuel pump failed, and they install another potentially defective one... like it has happened. There're more than enough failures for Lexus to have done something about it already. I wouldn't get mine replaced just for the heck of it, mind you. But if it fails, I want a revised unit that won't fail again. Geez, how hard is to make a freaking fuel pump that lasts what it should? It is a very stupid problem, completely unavoidable, and even embarrassing for Lexus if it keeps happening... so start doing something about it already.
Old 10-22-15, 12:44 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Glad they got it fixed. You should send your dealership the link to the other FUEL PUMP post, maybe if enough folks beat their service advisors up about it and share the link, Lexus "may" do something about it.

I take mine in tomorrow for it's first 1000 mile service (kinda of a waste of time, but it's free).

5 years and over 30,000 Camry Hybrids reporting a complete failure of the VSC (vehicle stability control) system for the NHTSA to open up an investigation with Toyota and force them to fix and reimburse the Camry owners over the system failure as replacement of the affected parts was roughly $4,000 with labor.

Toyota did not issue a recall but instead extended the warranty coverage on those components to 10 years 150,000 miles, as they will not replace them UNLESS they fail.

The issue there is that when it fails the car becomes UNSAFE, the power steering and power brakes become manual no hydraulic assist and it makes driving very unsafe.

so I doubt a hand full of forum members complaining will prompt any type of immediate response, Toyota will not see it as an issue until several thousand people have had the issue and it has cost them a few hundred thousand in parts and labor warranty repair.

Last edited by mjeds; 10-22-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 01:18 PM
Flaw
Driver School Candidate

Was there any particular service advisor you spoke to at Pleasanton. I am most likely going to bring my car there for service and will probably be good to talk to someone familiar with the situation and avoid the run around.
BTW, I grew up in Oakland and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Old 10-22-15, 03:04 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

so I doubt a hand full of forum members complaining will prompt any type of immediate response, Toyota will not see it as an issue until several thousand people have had the issue and it has cost them a few hundred thousand in parts and labor warranty repair.
***** there aren't several thousand of us who even own one out there. My dealership today told me I'm 1 of 3 that they have done service on so far so it's a fairly new vehicle to them which is crazy as I live in Virginia Beach which has a HUGE population due to the military.
Old 10-22-15, 03:14 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

***** there aren't several thousand of us who even own one out there. My dealership today told me I'm 1 of 3 that they have done service on so far so it's a fairly new vehicle to them which is crazy as I live in Virginia Beach which has a HUGE population due to the military.

exactly my point.

it took 5 years and over 30,000 Camry's before Toyota stepped up, and that was only AFTER the NHTSA started an investigation which would have caused them millions in fines because it was a serious safety issue.

all car manufacturers are the same, they are reactive, not proactive, they will do nothing until their bottom line is affected.

look for it to be at least 2-3 years before Toyota looks into any type of replacement fuel pump, they will put out a TSB that says replace the pump, MAYBE but highly unlikely they will supersede the part number with a newer part that might fix the issue, but because of the limited number of RC-Fs on the road, and the even smaller number of people with the issue, they will do nothing at this point.

The general attitude is **** happens, we are replacing it under warranty, deal with it or lemon the car. These cars are so limited in production that Lexus probably hasn't even come close to breaking even over their R&D expense creating the model.
Old 10-27-15, 06:41 PM
SinghC
Driver School Candidate

Believethe service advisor's name was Michael

Quick Reply: 2015 RC F Fuel Pump Fails at 2.600 Miles