RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2015 RC F Fuel Pump Fails at 2.600 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 11:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Silly small little part causing issues for some..

Hopefully you can return it for the superseded part once it comes out...

Also, to be clear for others this is purely covered under warranty..

Z3NK1 bought a spare to have handy, in the event of a failure far from a dealership

Also, this pump is located inside the gas tank, accessed through a compartment door underneath the rear seat.

Thanks for sharing the pics..!!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Here's what the pump looks like if anyone is interested

Old 11-15-15, 09:16 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Here's what the pump looks like if anyone is interested
Thanks a lot brother. Have you removed it yourself? Do each rear cushion just pull up? Or do you have to push it rearward then up to clear a tab? Curious about that. If there's a compartment under the seat, it'd be 3 or 4 bolts and it should come out. The GTR is the same way (it has 2 pumps, actually, due to dual tanks), but I never removed the pump; just 'dynamatted' the entire area. You just have to make sure the gasket is reusable, or we'd have to buy a new one too. Hey, if you ever remove the seat and pump, please take some pics to see what we're dealing with. Hope mine doesn't crap out until a better replacement arrives. Thanks again.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-15-15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 11:06 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Now I worry after seeing this post. But I know nothing is perfect, but I did get rid of my old car for a new reliable car. I love my RCF, so hope it holds.

I would pay double for an aftermarket part just to be on the safe side.
Old 11-16-15, 05:47 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Now I worry after seeing this post. But I know nothing is perfect, but I did get rid of my old car for a new reliable car. I love my RCF, so hope it holds.

I would pay double for an aftermarket part just to be on the safe side.
Why be nervous?

For the most part only people that have had the issue post.

6000km's here with no issue, buddy of mine just sold his at 24,000kms with no issue and I know of two others with no issue around 10,000kms.

Lexus will figure out a replacement if required, seems like a different issue is the root cause if people keep having numerous failures.
Old 11-16-15, 12:33 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Have you removed it yourself? Do each rear cushion just pull up?
I only have that pump as a spare, haven't had any issues with the original one so I can't really answer your question
Old 11-16-15, 03:54 PM
6i9
Driver

Not covered under warranty any longer in my case here because my dealer already replaced it once. They had Toyota engineers come out and determine the sound is normal even though the same sound was determined to be a faulty fuel pump the first time by dealer techs. Since theres no updated part the official Lexus stance is that the sound is "normal operation"

I dont believe this is not a safety issue as the OP has described his experience with a completely failed pump. Lexus is dragging its feet on an update or even a goodwill fix for owners with recurring problems.

I am pretty disappointed in my Lexus RCF service experience so far. Could have had an M4 if I wanted these headaches at least the car would be faster.

Im following Dbcooper's advice.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Silly small little part causing issues for some..

Hopefully you can return it for the superseded part once it comes out...

Also, to be clear for others this is purely covered under warranty..

Z3NK1 bought a spare to have handy, in the event of a failure far from a dealership

Also, this pump is located inside the gas tank, accessed through a compartment door underneath the rear seat.

Thanks for sharing the pics..!!

Joe Z
Old 11-16-15, 08:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Ask them to show you another RC F on the lot with the same loud noise...

... If it's not there on a new car, they owe you another pump..

Or just say your throttle response / gas pedal is fluctuating.!!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by 6i9
Not covered under warranty any longer in my case here because my dealer already replaced it once. They had Toyota engineers come out and determine the sound is normal even though the same sound was determined to be a faulty fuel pump the first time by dealer techs. Since theres no updated part the official Lexus stance is that the sound is "normal operation"

I dont believe this is not a safety issue as the OP has described his experience with a completely failed pump. Lexus is dragging its feet on an update or even a goodwill fix for owners with recurring problems.

I am pretty disappointed in my Lexus RCF service experience so far. Could have had an M4 if I wanted these headaches at least the car would be faster.

Im following Dbcooper's advice.
Old 11-17-15, 06:12 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gipsonke
AEM is saying this fuel pump should work as a suitable after-market replacement:
PN: 50-1220
Compact Design fits many vehicles, Compatible with E100 & M100 fuels
http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...m-offset-inlet
I wonder if the vendor has any life expectancy, failure or other performance data on this pump?
Old 11-17-15, 11:15 AM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Ask them to show you another RC F on the lot with the same loud noise...

... If it's not there on a new car, they owe you another pump..

Or just say your throttle response / gas pedal is fluctuating.!!

Joe Z
Trust me, if I could exercise my warranty over and over again to get a new fuel pump I wouldn't be as upset. The dealer says Lexus is not authorizing them to replace the pump and have gone so far as to say it is not malfunctioning, even though off the record they said they hear the abnormal sound I am describing. They were not allowed to acknowledge the sound is there on the comments of my RO receipt. They said the wording is exactly as Lexus has instructed them to write, and explicitly to say that no repair is necessary. Even though the reason they stated in person is that "the part would just fail again" so they know it is failing. I've also mentioned the laggy throttle response as well which they ignored on my repair order receipt.

Either my dealer is full of it, or Lexus is. But either way, they are flat out refusing to fix the part under warranty because they insist there is nothing wrong.

I am forced to make a buy back inquiry and/or involve lemon lawyers because Lexus or the dealership are not honoring my warranty.

Last edited by 6i9; 11-17-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 11:45 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
Trust me, if I could exercise my warranty over and over again to get a new fuel pump I wouldn't be as upset. The dealer says Lexus is not authorizing them to replace the pump and have gone so far as to say it is not malfunctioning, even though off the record they said they hear the abnormal sound I am describing. They were not allowed to acknowledge the sound is there on the comments of my RO receipt. They said the wording is exactly as Lexus has instructed them to write, and explicitly to say that no repair is necessary. Even though the reason they stated in person is that "the part would just fail again" so they know it is failing. I've also mentioned the laggy throttle response as well which they ignored on my repair order receipt.

Either my dealer is full of it, or Lexus is. But either way, they are flat out refusing to fix the part under warranty because they insist there is nothing wrong.

I am forced to make a buy back inquiry and/or involve lemon lawyers because Lexus or the dealership are not honoring my warranty.
That is incredibly disappointing that corporate is basically making them lie. Is there another dealership that you can take it to? It's always hard to take a dealership's word on things...but if what they are telling you is true...this must be a bigger problem than just a few examples in the CL community.
Old 11-20-15, 08:56 PM
KimberlyT
Driver School Candidate

Had mine replaces around 12k. It was quite a battle to get it done too. I heard the whirring noise in the back seat for a few miles, recorded it on video then took it in. I had to show the previous threads here to get them to listen to me. It took 3+ weeks for the pump to come in btw. I was one of the first replacements so they didn't have any in stock. So my car sat for almost a month at the dealership. ;(
Old 11-21-15, 07:06 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You really need a new dealer. They are telling you a complete lie. Lexus Japan flew people specifically to look at my car.
There is a protocol with this part that they are aware of.

My service techs are great and even ordered the third pump for me just by me calling them and telling them the noise was back. Then we scheduled the time to replace it.

Follow JoeZ advice. Ask for a loaner until they make the noise go away.

Originally Posted by 6i9

Old 11-21-15, 08:13 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by KimberlyT
Had mine replaces around 12k. It was quite a battle to get it done too. I heard the whirring noise in the back seat for a few miles, recorded it on video then took it in. I had to show the previous threads here to get them to listen to me. It took 3+ weeks for the pump to come in btw. I was one of the first replacements so they didn't have any in stock. So my car sat for almost a month at the dealership. ;(
Which dealership did you go to?

Originally Posted by 6i9

Old 11-21-15, 04:24 PM
6i9
Driver

Originally Posted by ba2sy

Jim Falk Bev Hills. Pretty abysmal.
Old 11-21-15, 07:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 6i9
Jim Falk Bev Hills. Pretty abysmal.
I would take it to Longo Lexus....

I have no faith in that other dealership..!!

Joe Z

Quick Reply: 2015 RC F Fuel Pump Fails at 2.600 Miles