RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 07:10 AM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

255 35 19?
Old 10-20-15, 09:31 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I am going to be running a 255 19" square setup of Blizzaks, same tires I had purchased last year for the TT RS. As stated above, PPS on this car, even in the cold can be very difficult to handle, with loss of traction happening very quickly until the tires get some heat in them.

I am guessing the RC F will be very similar in nature to the ISF. With proper snow tires, the ISF was just fine for snow driving. I have 90 miles a day worth of driving, and in the three winters I had in the ISF, it never let me down. Smart driving and snow tires work wonders.

That being said, it can also come down to the car's setup and how it puts power to the ground. Last fall I got caught out in some snow with the TT RS which was still wearing the PSS. I made it home in 2" of snow, for 45 miles with little to no issue. I definitely don't recommend doing so with the RC F.
I'm a fan of Blizzaks myself. I ran them on a couple different cars while I lived out in Colorado. They were a major life saver. I could trudge over just about anything. I also did a lot of mountain driving as I'm an avid snowboarder and it worked really well up and down the mountains. Luckily I live in California now so I don't have to worry about the snow anymore LOL. A nice studded snow tire with good snow tread is also good option if you run into a lot of ice and super low temps on the road. They're just extremely noisy.
Old 10-21-15, 09:00 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BPauto
I'm a fan of Blizzaks myself. I ran them on a couple different cars while I lived out in Colorado. They were a major life saver. I could trudge over just about anything. I also did a lot of mountain driving as I'm an avid snowboarder and it worked really well up and down the mountains. Luckily I live in California now so I don't have to worry about the snow anymore LOL. A nice studded snow tire with good snow tread is also good option if you run into a lot of ice and super low temps on the road. They're just extremely noisy.
Blizzaks make a great dedicated winter; however their performance winters leave a lot to be desired in a heavy snow environment.

I'm rolling Nokian Hakkapollitta 8 studded this winter for the first time ever. Unreal reviews on these tires, and the local Subaru guys love em!
Old 10-22-15, 04:53 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
Blizzaks make a great dedicated winter; however their performance winters leave a lot to be desired in a heavy snow environment.

I'm rolling Nokian Hakkapollitta 8 studded this winter for the first time ever. Unreal reviews on these tires, and the local Subaru guys love em!
Ah yes! I think you and I have talked about this topic before haha. I actually did some more reading on those Hakkapollitta's and they're some beastly tires. I'd definitely give them a shot; however, it wouldn't do me much good here in California haha. If I ever move back to Colorado, these are definitely on my list.
Old 10-26-15, 08:39 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Just picked em' up! Test fit tonight, hopefully they work out.

Name:  B9F1179F-3AA1-4D2C-A93F-7C718E65DB13_zpssmilr8n7.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  362.2 KB
Old 10-27-15, 08:03 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi! I'm planning in going to a snow mountain resort during winter. Do you guys think Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 would work?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=535YR9DWS06XL
Old 10-27-15, 09:20 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Hi! I'm planning in going to a snow mountain resort during winter. Do you guys think Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 would work?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=535YR9DWS06XL
Absolutely not.
unless the roads are completely dry at the base, where you will be stuck parking, you will not have ANY traction on hardpack snow and ice.

Even with a Blizzak LM32 (performance winter) I had issues with high inclines and any depth of snow.
Old 10-27-15, 09:46 AM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Decided just to go with the Pirelli sotozero in the oem sizes
Old 10-27-15, 02:23 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Absolutely not.
unless the roads are completely dry at the base, where you will be stuck parking, you will not have ANY traction on hardpack snow and ice.

Even with a Blizzak LM32 (performance winter) I had issues with high inclines and any depth of snow.
So, did you end up using chains or something? How about the Pirelli sotozero as mentioned?
Old 10-27-15, 04:35 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba2sy
So, did you end up using chains or something? How about the Pirelli sotozero as mentioned?
no I parked at the chalet, called my buddy and he picked me up in his SUV.

your best bet is to read some of the reviews on tire rack. They have done complete winter tire comparisons.

If you plan on going to a skihill once this winter, I wouldn't bother with winters.

Which resort are you considering?
Old 10-27-15, 05:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

what is this winter thing you all are talking about??

damn near Halloween and it's 90° here in SoCal.
Old 10-28-15, 12:50 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

no I parked at the chalet, called my buddy and he picked me up in his SUV.

your best bet is to read some of the reviews on tire rack. They have done complete winter tire comparisons.

If you plan on going to a skihill once this winter, I wouldn't bother with winters.

Which resort are you considering?
I'm planning to go to Big Bear which is in SoCal. I just wanted to be prepared with my RCF since I can't take my other car.

Originally Posted by mjeds
what is this winter thing you all are talking about??
damn near Halloween and it's 90° here in SoCal.
I know man. But I'm planning to go to Big Bear. I just don't want to slip off the cliff. haha!
Old 11-04-15, 11:55 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Just came from a snowy place. Don't forget to bring your own Tire Pump and Tire Gauge. I forgot to get one because I was in a rush. I went to a gas station, bought a tire gauge, tried to inflate but it was no good. The freaking cheapo tire gauge reads my tires as 45 psi, when it's only 30 psi. Then, the tire pump was so hard to secure so, my tires became even more deflated to 25 psi... lol! It was still drive-able. Good thing my neighbor helped me inflate via his goodyear tire pump.
Old 11-08-15, 07:13 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

I was planning on sticking with the OEM size on the oem wheels, but if i keep the front the same at 255, and swap the rears to 265/35/19 I can pick up blizzak LM32's which might be a better tire.. does that make more sense or should I just stick with the oem size on the oem wheels and get the pirellis
Old 11-09-15, 05:59 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AKA5
I was planning on sticking with the OEM size on the oem wheels, but if i keep the front the same at 255, and swap the rears to 265/35/19 I can pick up blizzak LM32's which might be a better tire.. does that make more sense or should I just stick with the oem size on the oem wheels and get the pirellis
That's a minimal difference, and there is plenty of room to spare for a wider profile tire on the stock rims.

In snow a thinner tire is more efficient, however if its just cold weather on dry roads you won't see the same benefit.

I think you are golden either way, although personally I prefer the blizzak

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)