RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 03:57 PM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you guys have to do with the TPMS? I purchased a set of the monitors for my second set of wheels, but I was curious if they had to be synced with the system using a specific tool or visiting the dealership. Im hoping neither and they'll automatically sync up, but everything with this car seems to be somewhat cumbersome. Thx
Old 12-24-15, 05:27 AM
SBG200
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to visit the dealership. My tire shop ordered the correct sensors for the car and synced them up when they installed the tires on the car - pressures come up on the multi-information display screen as expected.
Old 04-19-16, 11:14 AM
SBG200
Driver School Candidate

Now that I've swapped my winters for summers, my TPMS readings are blank. Talked to the dealership and they say that the sensors need to be programmed every time (for $75) a tire is swapped. Any DIY solutions that don't cost a fortune?
Old 04-19-16, 11:19 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SBG200
Now that I've swapped my winters for summers, my TPMS readings are blank. Talked to the dealership and they say that the sensors need to be programmed every time (for $75) a tire is swapped. Any DIY solutions that don't cost a fortune?
About $150
Amazon.com: ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive
Old 04-19-16, 11:32 AM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SBG200
I asked the tire shop to duplicate the winter tire TPMS IDs / codes from the OEM tire sensors. Don't need to "reset" them via OBDII every time I go in for a swap. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Ne1tHeRe (02-01-18)
Old 10-18-16, 08:49 AM
rberthelot
Driver School Candidate

Hey all... tis the time again and I'll be driving my car through its first Chicago winter. Any update for those that have been driving the car in snowy weather with a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires? I'll try driving it for a season with a winter setup and if it's bad, I may look for a winter car.

TIA
Old 10-18-16, 09:28 AM
SBG200
Driver School Candidate

I liked my XIce Xi3s last year, and my notes on the fitment of them on my Niche Misanos is on page 6 of this thread. With the stability control etc. this car is just fine on ice & snow. Also picked up the ATEQ TMPS tool - entered the winters manually and scanned the summers from the OBD port with no issues. Haven't done the swap yet but I'm not expecting any issues with updating the OBD.
Old 11-01-16, 09:38 AM
izoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of ppl run their RCF all winter, I too am going to be running mine this winter
Old 11-01-16, 11:24 AM
rberthelot
Driver School Candidate

I ended going with the Biizzak LM-32 with the oem wheels. I have the wheels and tire protection plan so should be ok through this season. I'll look for a more dedicated setup next year. Don't drive much anyways so hopefully this works out.
Old 11-01-16, 02:11 PM
MikeyB88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rberthelot
I ended going with the Biizzak LM-32 with the oem wheels. I have the wheels and tire protection plan so should be ok through this season. I'll look for a more dedicated setup next year. Don't drive much anyways so hopefully this works out.
I was looking at those too! Ended up with the pirelli winter snow tires they had great reviews both snow and dry, with stock rims was recommended by tire rack and dealership

Last edited by MikeyB88; 11-01-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 02:21 PM
MikeyB88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by izoom
A lot of ppl run their RCF all winter, I too am going to be running mine this winter
enjoy it year round man! thats what it is for! Love my RCF
Old 11-01-16, 04:02 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll be driving mine all winter. Of course I don't expect to be driving in snow... So all season tires are all I really need (due to the temperature being too cold for summer tires).

I just got my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires installed today. I went with 265/285 instead of the stock 255/275. My first impressions are awesome. I don't know if it's just because I got new tires, if it was the extra width or is it was the alignment. But I like the way it feels a little bit more than I did before I got them put on. I haven't had a chance to really test out the traction yet. But they seem to be gripping a little better than my nearly worn 255/275 PSS.

I also like the way they look on the rims a lot more. The stock sizes look a little narrow for the rims so the rims stick out and are very easy to curb rash. These new tires look like a perfect fit for the rims and I don't think the rims will be easy to curb rash (It still might, so I'll not purposely try).

I have noticed a very slight drop in MPG. I have the same 30 mile commute every day and I don't have traffic. So I can set the cruise control and get consistent readings. They do vary a little due to temperature, but stay within a threshold. So far it appears that I'm getting about 1-1.5 MPG less with the cruise set at 80 MPH (~24.5 when my average is usually around 26). But I'll need more days to get more accurate averages.

These tires are just temporary until my Volks arrive in March. Those will be getting even wider "summer" tires. But I may keep these for the winter and just swap rims when needed.
Old 11-01-16, 04:54 PM
MikeyB88
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone ran the pirelli Sotos? And how are they?
Old 11-02-16, 08:54 AM
MikeyB88
Driver School Candidate

I also have the dealership installing the winter tires, may be a silly question but when dismounting and mounting they should be pretty careful and not scratch the rims correct? I have the 20 spoke rims I'm a little worried.
Old 11-02-16, 03:54 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyB88
I also have the dealership installing the winter tires, may be a silly question but when dismounting and mounting they should be pretty careful and not scratch the rims correct? I have the 20 spoke rims I'm a little worried.
Every place should be careful. It doesn't mean that the guy doing it gives 2 craps about your rims. Even dealers can have people that don't care. You roll the dice and take your chances, unless you personally know the people handling your rims. Take pics of the rims as soon as you get out of the car. If they damage your rims they are liable to repair or buy new rims for you. Most of them will try to get out of it since the cost is likely going to be a lot more than they made for the labor of doing your rims. I'd say the chances of something happening is low, but it certainly can happen.

I just found a small scuff on the rear of my car that wasn't there before I had my tires done yesterday. It's small enough not to bother me, and it may buff out. But it was still not something I was expecting and I also cannot prove where it actually happened. I had my tires installed at the dealer...

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)