RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

3 Blank Accessory Panel/Buttons On Lower Dash, What Options Are Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16 | 12:55 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
RMalm sent me the whole list, and only the rears had such an adjustment (which you can also adjust via the dash screen). But since you noticed a difference, there obviously is a difference somehow. Please post what you find, for others to benefit. My rear sensors are perfectly fine with the farther setting (green, I believe), which is probably the equivalent of 'wide' on the Carista. But my fronts are completely useless. Somebody posted the front sensors supposedly start beeping when the front bumper is about 2" from a flat wall, but will have to try that with a helper one of these days to determine if I can trust them in a garage parking lot, for example. For now, I just park in reverse. I'm pretty good at judging distances, but no way I can be consistent within an inch or two from a wall. Thanks man.

I will take a look over the weekend, no time during the week.

but something did change. This morning a lady was approaching me pushing a baby stroller, I was parked in the disabled spot and she was walking toward the van stripped side to cross the parking lot, the front sensors picked her up when she as about 3 feet away and beeped the whole time she approached and passed the front of the car.

I was in reverse at the time getting ready to back out, but doing so I would have clipped her so I waited until she passed, after the front sensor lost her about mid fender the rears picker her up about when the stroller was mid quarter panel.

Prior to the change I made in the Carista app I know it didn't pick up anything closer than a couple of inches and on the side of the car, it never pickup up anything in front of the car.
Old 01-26-16 | 01:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The corner sensors F & R detect side approaching objects, the inner sensors (N/A on F-Sport) are for
the truly front and rear dangers. What the front sensors on a Lexus do that many other brands do not
do is remain active when backing up. While you are concentrating on looking at the cameras and
mirrors the system will warn that you have veered too close to the trash cans or fire hydrants.
Old 01-26-16 | 01:37 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcomer
The corner sensors F & R detect side approaching objects, the inner sensors (N/A on F-Sport) are for
the truly front and rear dangers. What the front sensors on a Lexus do that many other brands do not
do is remain active when backing up. While you are concentrating on looking at the cameras and
mirrors the system will warn that you have veered too close to the trash cans or fire hydrants.

they can also be set to remain on while in drive (both front and rear) and on the F, which does not have the front sensors the side sensors are supposed to be positioned as to assist with objects in the front and on the corners.
Old 01-26-16 | 01:52 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by mjeds
they can also be set to remain on while in drive (both front and rear) and on the F, which does not have the front sensors the side sensors are supposed to be positioned as to assist with objects in the front and on the corners.
Did you also get the Carista hardware? I'm wondering if my ELM327 wifi will work.
Old 01-26-16 | 03:13 PM
JT2MA71

So my ELM327 wifi works with the Carista app, but I had to buy the pro version to change what I wanted to change. The only front sensors related change I found was to either have them on or off when gear is in reverse. I didn't find any sensitivity adjustment. I'm not sure if there'd be any difference whether I use the Carista brand hardware or the ELM but I doubt it.
Old 01-26-16 | 04:06 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I'm not sure if there'd be any difference whether I use the Carista brand hardware or the ELM but I doubt it.
The Carista works via an ELM327 module, so you need BOTH. I bought a BT one and didn't work with my Android. Will buy a iCar2 WiFi that is known to work for sure on iPhones, and try it on my Android. If it doesn't work, then I'd borrow my wife's iPhone or iPad and use that instead. But wanted to know there's something to change before ordering it, since the other settings I'd change are not that important. Plus still don't know how long will keep the car. Thanks Jmeds for looking into that whenever you have a chance. Maybe the 'wide' and 'narrow' settings affect both; that's my only guess at the moment.
Old 01-26-16 | 04:17 PM
JT2MA71

The Carista works via an ELM327 module, so you need BOTH. I bought a BT one and didn't work with my Android. Will buy a iCar2 WiFi that is known to work for sure on iPhones, and try it on my Android. If it doesn't work, then I'd borrow my wife's iPhone or iPad and use that instead. But wanted to know there's something to change before ordering it, since the other settings I'd change are not that important. Plus still don't know how long will keep the car. Thanks Jmeds for looking into that whenever you have a chance. Maybe the 'wide' and 'narrow' settings affect both; that's my only guess at the moment.
I have an ELM327 wifi module, which I said works with the Carista app. Not sure if there would be a difference if the carista hardware is used instead of the ELM327.
Old 01-26-16 | 06:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Did you also get the Carista hardware? I'm wondering if my ELM327 wifi will work.
So my ELM327 wifi works with the Carista app, but I had to buy the pro version to change what I wanted to change. The only front sensors related change I found was to either have them on or off when gear is in reverse. I didn't find any sensitivity adjustment. I'm not sure if there'd be any difference whether I use the Carista brand hardware or the ELM but I doubt it.
I have an ELM327 wifi module, which I said works with the Carista app. Not sure if there would be a difference if the carista hardware is used instead of the ELM327.

I bought their hardware, but any ELM327 module should work, yes you have to buy the PRO version of the app to make the changes.

I recall the change for the fronts being on in reverse.

I recall an option to have them on while in Drive which I did turn on.

and I recall the option for wide or narrow, but I don't know if that was specific to the rears or changed both.

what I know is both my fronts and rears are definitely difference since I made those 3 changes.

--

looked up on their site, my settings are in RED

Rear parking sensor range
NARROW / WIDE

Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec.
YES / NO

Parking sensor beep volume
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / MAX

Activate parking sensors in neutral (N)
YES / NO

Enable front parking sensors when in reverse (R)
FRONT / OFF

Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
REAR / REAR CORNER / OFF

Dash display mode
ALL / UNDISP

not sure what of those caused the change in the fronts, but as I said, prior to the change the front sensors never picked up the palm trees I park between in my driveway and now they do, and the palms haven't moved.

also they pick up from about 2-3' in front of the car, I don't know if they pick up dead center directly in front, what I know is that someone coming toward the car on either side is picked up well before they get to the car, prior it only picked them up if they were inches from either corner.
Old 01-27-16 | 02:30 AM
JT2MA71

Thanks mjeds, those are the same settings I have now, with the addition of rolling down the windows with the remote. I also wanted to change the turn signal flashes from 3 to 5 but I guess that's not supported by this.
Old 01-27-16 | 07:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Thanks mjeds, those are the same settings I have now, with the addition of rolling down the windows with the remote. I also wanted to change the turn signal flashes from 3 to 5 but I guess that's not supported by this.

yeah I had my turn signal flashes changed to 7 but it was done at the dealer when I picked up the car.

rolling down windows with key fob was already active when I got the car.

The thing I wish the RC had is the move seat back to exit.. While the steering wheel moves out of the way, I need the seat to go back because of my gimp leg and I can't swing it around the door frame.

I programmed the #3 memory for that feature, but it would be nice if it was automatic..
Old 01-27-16 | 11:43 AM
JCtx
Racer

The Carista hardware IS an ELM327 module; that's why I was confused. Was going to ask you what brand of ELM327 you bought that came with setting changes. But now it's clear you just bought the unit Carista sells. They used to sell the iCar2, so that works for sure. But don't buy the newest chip version (forgot what it is), because it doesn't work. I was refunded my money, so no harm. Will probably buy the iCar2 WiFi so I can hopefully use it with my Android, but if not, with my wife's iPhone/iPad would work for sure. The other module was bluetooth, and it was a PITA to use, since I had to disable the car's BT, or the phone would pick it up first, and couldn't switch to other source. Will order one, program according to Jmeds settings, and see if the front sensors improve on my car as well. Thank you folks.
Old 01-27-16 | 03:20 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

The Carista hardware IS an ELM327 module; that's why I was confused. Was going to ask you what brand of ELM327 you bought that came with setting changes. But now it's clear you just bought the unit Carista sells. They used to sell the iCar2, so that works for sure. But don't buy the newest chip version (forgot what it is), because it doesn't work. I was refunded my money, so no harm. Will probably buy the iCar2 WiFi so I can hopefully use it with my Android, but if not, with my wife's iPhone/iPad would work for sure. The other module was bluetooth, and it was a PITA to use, since I had to disable the car's BT, or the phone would pick it up first, and couldn't switch to other source. Will order one, program according to Jmeds settings, and see if the front sensors improve on my car as well. Thank you folks.

mjeds, I'm not on any Jmeds.. lol
Old 01-27-16 | 03:28 PM
JT2MA71

This is what I have. I started thinking they're all basically ELM327
I did order the Carista brand one (don't have it yet) and then I remembered I have this stashed in my IS300 glovebox! I've had it for a few years.

Old 01-28-16 | 03:18 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
mjeds, I'm not on any Jmeds.. lol
Ha ha. Guess I'm a bit dislexic. But it easier to remember buddy; I'd grab it if it's still available. Ha ha. Just kidding man.

As far as ELM327, the only difference is what's called the 'chip set'. I tried one with the newer chip set, and didn't work with Carista. So it has to be the older one.