RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Why the RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 07:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow cant believe you guys are using these old stereotypes - do all of you still think Cadillac drives like a boat by an old lady?

Plenty of young people drive new Corvettes - they sell a ton of them to all demographics.

The new one has a great interior and has options not even available on the RCF.

OP - if this is to be used as a weekend toy, the Corvette gives you way more for your money and a lot more performance.
If you plan to use it as a DD, get RCF as it will be more reliable, better built, has real trunk, and back seats.

Personally im not a fan of C7 styling but i would consider it otherwise.
Old 10-26-15, 07:30 AM
ddean3673
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both, the first was a Z51 Vette with every available option including the competition package. It was absolutely a monster and fun to drive, everything as advertised. It had more performance oriented bells and whistles, more cargo room than you could ever use (you can even fit a surfboard in the car). What I didn't like was:
- No back seat.
- Not easy to get into/out of at all, you put it on more than get into it. Great for a track day car, not good for getting in and out of all day long.
- Really low ground clearance.
- Attracts a different kind of attention than the Lexus.
- Just not as comfortable for longer than a few hours on the road.

I've had the RCF for a couple of weeks and so far the only thing that's a negative compared to the Vette is acceleration. I've enjoyed driving it more often already and found it to be far more practical. The most telling trip so far was a 12 hour round trip which felt like a vacation compared to the Vette for the same distance, with the cruise set on 95. There is no comparison with ride quality which includes how quiet the interior is. I saw an ad once for BMW motorcycles which basically said a lot of things are built for 10-12 seconds of acceleration, their bikes are built for the 10th hour, same for this car. For day to day use in the real world it's a very well engineered machine.

Trying to tell someone which car is the **** and which one sucks because it's not a (insert whatever car you like better here) is like saying what type of woman you should like. Each person has their own "best fit" and you can't tell them what that is. You really will be happy with either when it comes to performance, the comfort give and take is the real question.
Old 10-26-15, 01:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

because the last 2 GM vehicles I have owned since 2010 have been lemon lawed and bought back by GM,

because the C7 has known issues of breaking valve springs and dropping valve thus blowing the motor within the first 5,000 miles

because Chevy/GM dealerships are $h1t, they treat you like $h1t they deny warranty left and right over the most ridiculous nonsense (oh you used a non GM window washer fluid, so that's what caused your motor to blow, sorry warranty denied)

because GM in general doesn't care if you spend $20K on a Spark or $100K on a Corvette they treat you like bought a 3rd hand used car.

because GMs warranty in general is $h1t and excludes A LOT of stuff that no other manufacturer does.

because GM has recalled nearly every vehicle they have produced in the past 25 years for known issues that they choose to ignore, issues that have caused 100s of deaths.

because - GM.

----

This is my first EVER import, it took a lot for me to cross than line, but let me tell you why I did.

My wife of 4 years bought a new 2007 Camry Hybrid in 2006, she had 80K on it and it had never been to a dealership EVER for any warranty work. Last week the hybrid battery failed, car was dead, idiot lights all over the dash.

The car was technically 3 weeks out of warranty for the battery, and Toyota replaced it at no charge for her, and gave it a 2 year 24,000 warranty on the replacement.

When my 2012 Camaro, which had a reoccurring issue that the dealer attempted to fix 4 times with the vehicle being out of service for 19 weeks in total, went out of warranty and the issue reappeared a 5th time 4 days after the 3/36K expired, I was told it was on my dime, they would do nothing for me. So I was forced to lemon law the vehicle. A known issue (GM has several TSBs for it) that they repaired 4 times under warranty and they wanted to charge me $3,000 to fix it the 5th time because the car was 4 days out of warranty when it happened again.

That is why there is an RC-F in my garage and not a Corvette.

I wanted a C7, I have dreamt of owning a Corvette since I was 6 years old and dad sold his 1962 Corvette for a family car.

GM crushed that dream with their behavior and idiocy. I was a GM fanboy, I have owned 12 GM cars since 1986, aside from one Ford and one Chrysler in the mix, GM is all I have ever purchased, and GM lost a life long customer because of their games and the way I was treated by their dealers over the past 5 years.

Last edited by mjeds; 10-26-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 07:41 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points all, fellas. I don't buy the 'old people buy Vettes thing.' I've seen plenty of guys in their early 20s to mid-30s loving their Corvettes. And women in the 30s and 40s. The fact is lots of old people buy Lexus, too, which is considered by some folks to be the Buick of Japanese brands. That's not exactly a nod toward youth.

But I suppose if I were to go for one of these cars it would be the RC F, for the reasons some stated on this thread: there is a big difference in bringing in your car for an oil change or other service at a plush Lexus dealership than waiting in a GM dealership. It is definitely a higher class of treatment, and more comfortable and superior ambience all around. We pay for it with the price of our cars, but it's worth it. Frankly, the dealership issue is what I forgot about. I can't go back.
Old 10-26-15, 08:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Vette looks better to me and is faster. That's it. Nothing else favors the Vette. It is a weekend toy. Not a real car. If the use of the car is more than weekend toy, it would not be wise to buy a Vette.