RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 04:45 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb

Does anyone know if there is a amber LED bulb for the rear turn signal that does not need a resistor kit to avoid the hyperflash issue? Don't want to experiment nor want to splice cable to add the resistor kit. Looking for a direct plug and play solution.

Chu...
Old 11-06-15, 05:00 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested to know as well as i've got the resistor and bulb sitting waiting to be installed
Old 11-06-15, 11:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

You're always going to need a resistor pack to avoid hyperflashing. And only one system is plug-and-play. And it's the V-LEDs Triton V3 one. Problem is they now offer the system with TWO metal boxes (controller and resistor box). There's simply no space to install even one of them inside the very limited space between taillight and exterior cavity. Just look at the massive crap I had to hide even with just one box (pic 1). You'd have to remove the rear bumper to install the current set right. And you'd have to remove it again if you needed to get to those components later on. What I did was to remove the single piece box from another car, and was able to do the install as pictured below, but it was a royal b*tch. The set is very well made, however. And depth adjustable to locate them exactly where the bulb filament was, for best performance (your typical long LED bulb is too deep into the housing). These suckers are very powerful; not even close to even the brightest regular bulb; just look at the massive heatsink (which clears the metal behind it by 1mm, by the way). Bought a kit to make them waterproof, but the shrink wrap was crap (only used the dielectric grease), so I had to do my own waterproofing, and wrapped it in masking tape so water just dripped down. As you can see, it's a very long connection, so impossible to tuck it in that space. Finally, attached industrial velcro to the metal under the bumper cover and box (you can barely see it behind the box, but not inside the bumper), and used a curved trim tool to attach the unit to the velcro, held by a long zip-tie that I left there, to be able to separate it if necessary. It was a big challenge to slide the box into the opening after removing the bumper screws and popping the tab by the taillight. The Tritons are completely clear when installed, so it looks absolutely clear, just like the halogen reverse bulbs. But are much brighter than the incandescent bulbs, so quite safe. And equally amber. Very pleased now that's done, but would probably leave things alone if I had to do it all over again. Which is exactly what I recommend, rather than mess with those bulb-only options, but to each his own. Hey, don't make fun of my purple Crocs; they were a gift from my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb-rc-f-led-ts-1.jpg   Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb-rc-f-led-ts-2.jpg   Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb-rc-f-led-ts-3.jpg   Rear LED Turn Signal Bulb-rc-f-led-ts-4.jpg  

Last edited by JCtx; 11-07-15 at 12:16 AM.