RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

No synthetic oil for RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 05:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by hqduong
Does anyone know if lexus even carries a 5w30 synthetic? I'm under the impression all 5W30 is Dino that the dealer carries?
can go to walmart and buy mobil 1 5W30 for cheap and bring it to the dealer
Old 11-15-15, 09:03 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The 2UR-GSE motor was designed to use 5w30 conventional oil by the engineers who built it...
8 years ago!

I'm not going to debate Synthetic vs Conventional oils or penny pinching in this thread.

Some food for thought..

My 2008 IS F gets an oil change very 5k miles with regular conventional Mobil 5w30 jugs from Walmart.
9.8 quarts (never put all 10) - Now reaching 115k miles and all is doing perfectly fine.

My 2014 Odyssey gets an oil change every 7.5k miles (or when ever the maintenance minder goes off) with Synthetic Mobil 1 0w20 (only available in synthetic) also jug from Walmart.

Per jug.. The oil for the Honda costs more..

In both our cars, I use what they tell me to on the oil cap / service manual

Joe Z

So your telling me that the people who designed the motor and tested it know more then people on a internet forum?

I work for a large German company think GE and when when design things we know exactly how long they will last and what maintenance they require, it's a bad day when a jet engine fails and you can bet they follow the guild we provide to them not some internet forums lol
Old 11-15-15, 10:07 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The 2UR-GSE motor was designed to use 5w30 conventional oil by the engineers who built it.
Wrong. The engine was designed to use 5/30 oil, NOT conventional or synthetic oil. There's no such thing as an engine designed to use conventional vs synthetic oil. The engine doesn't know the difference at operating temperature, FYI. Synthetic oils are simply better in every respect, including less engine wear. And that's a fact. But it's not necessary, even in engines with synthetic factory fill. Therefore, just because your engine hasn't crapped out, doesn't mean conventional oil is as good as synthetic. And the human equivalent is just as true: Just because a person who eats crap, doesn't exercise, and is fat (most Americans), has lived as long as a fit person who exercises and eats healty, doesn't mean that's the right thing to do. Chances are the fit and healthy person is going lo live a longer and better life. If you were to open 2 engines with and without synthetic oil you'd find the same thing as the arteries of the fat vs healthy persons. For only a few bucks more, I always choose the 'healthy' way to maintain my cars (and myself too).

I'm bowing out of this endless discussion. You implied conventional oil is as good as synthetic just because your engine is still running, and you're wrong. However, it's okay to use conventional oil of the proper spec at frequent intervals. But it's not as good for the engine. That's all. Enjoy your cars folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-15-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-15-15, 11:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Amen to that..!!

Apparently I'm just flat "Wrong" in my post..
Lmfao

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
So your telling me that the people who designed the motor and tested it know more then people on a internet forum?

I work for a large German company think GE and when when design things we know exactly how long they will last and what maintenance they require, it's a bad day when a jet engine fails and you can bet they follow the guild we provide to them not some internet forums lol
Old 11-16-15, 02:27 PM
Akiho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get 93 Shell here in SoCal...??

Joe Z
Hi, Joe Z,

Woops, I think that was a mistype, I believe it's either 91 or 92 Premium Gas with Shell. I see numbers all day and get mixed up sometimes. Sorry for that minor mistake. Hehe.. I mainly go to the Shell Gas Station on Garvey, between Garfield and New in Monterey Park. Thanks for correcting that, Joe Z.

Regards,
Akiho
Old 11-16-15, 07:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by Akiho
Hi, Joe Z,

Woops, I think that was a mistype, I believe it's either 91 or 92 Premium Gas with Shell. I see numbers all day and get mixed up sometimes. Sorry for that minor mistake. Hehe.. I mainly go to the Shell Gas Station on Garvey, between Garfield and New in Monterey Park. Thanks for correcting that, Joe Z.

Regards,
Akiho
No worries.. You got me excited over gas..!!

Ever since I moved here, I've been stuck with 91.

I miss my Amoco Ultra Clear 93 or Sonoco 94 from NY

Joe Z
Old 11-17-15, 08:51 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Synth vs Dino debates.. yay.

My $0.02: I was never totally sold on synth until I started owning N/A boats. Yes, boats.

Unlike 99.9% of our cars, you can peg open a boat throttle as far as you can take it for an extended amount of time and actually find the maximum speed and RPM level.. especially in the perfect glass of Florida rivers.

What I found.. consistently.. is that when I was running Mobil1 synth in the boat, my top speed increased by a few mph, my revs were faster and the idle was slightly higher. Every time. No questions. You could simply see and feel it that the engine was slipperier and faster. It was as plain as day.

I'll never not use synth in any engine that I care about. Let the rings seat in the new RC-F with the dino and after that, it's nothing but Mobil1. I don't care what the manual says. It's an engine. It moves. It moves better with synth. YMMV.

Last edited by jsmacks; 11-17-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 04:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i use synthetic in the family fleet just to cut the oil change labor in half due to twice as long intervals. Price of the oil comes out to be the same overall
Old 11-17-15, 04:38 PM
AKA5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my others cars take synthetic and I change it out every 5k. I'll just stick to what Lexus says and use "Dino". However would you recommend changing it every 3k miles. If I'm going 5k with synthetic on my other cars just seems like I should lol
Old 11-24-15, 04:10 AM
GS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could it because the new engine need to be break in? found this article from Shell. it is on aviation but the first part of it looks applicable to care engine
http://www.shell.com/global/products...-30071255.html
Old 11-24-15, 04:48 AM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries.. You got me excited over gas..!!

Ever since I moved here, I've been stuck with 91.

I miss my Amoco Ultra Clear 93 or Sonoco 94 from NY

Joe Z
They got rid of Ultra94 almost 10 years now in NY. Sucks but BP has been the norm to get 93
Old 11-24-15, 01:17 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealership uses a 5/30 synthetic blend oil in the RC Fs, and their choice for oil is a synthetic blend for all of their Lexus cars.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Wrong. The engine was designed to use 5/30 oil, NOT conventional or synthetic oil. There's no such thing as an engine designed to use conventional vs synthetic oil. The engine doesn't know the difference at operating temperature, FYI. Synthetic oils are simply better in every respect, including less engine wear. And that's a fact. But it's not necessary, even in engines with synthetic factory fill. Therefore, just because your engine hasn't crapped out, doesn't mean conventional oil is as good as synthetic. And the human equivalent is just as true: Just because a person who eats crap, doesn't exercise, and is fat (most Americans), has lived as long as a fit person who exercises and eats healty, doesn't mean that's the right thing to do. Chances are the fit and healthy person is going lo live a longer and better life. If you were to open 2 engines with and without synthetic oil you'd find the same thing as the arteries of the fat vs healthy persons. For only a few bucks more, I always choose the 'healthy' way to maintain my cars (and myself too).

I'm bowing out of this endless discussion. You implied conventional oil is as good as synthetic just because your engine is still running, and you're wrong. However, it's okay to use conventional oil of the proper spec at frequent intervals. But it's not as good for the engine. That's all. Enjoy your cars folks.
Old 11-24-15, 03:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by da mayor
They got rid of Ultra94 almost 10 years now in NY. Sucks but BP has been the norm to get 93
Damn... I've been gone to long..!!

Joe Z
Old 11-24-15, 11:19 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

This was covered in ISF forum years ago it's been proven that after using standard oil with 5000 miles Blackstone independent well-known repetable testing company found no significant breakdown of the oil and recommended the next oil change to be done at 7000 miles. Using full synthetic upwards of 12000 miles. Is synthetic a better oil of course it is but you can you standard motor oil with no ill effects to your motor.

It all comes down to preference and how you drive your car, if you track it, drive it hard on constant basis, like to go longer in between oil changes then synthetic by all mesns.

I've been using synthetic in my ISF for nearly 5 year now, and My ISF is running as strong as ever, I'll be bring it in for 60k check up. Just replaced my front rotors (60k on them)with new set of brembo'a and Project Mu pads, air filter, mobil 1 synthetic oil and filter, cleaned Mass air sensor, replaced in cabin filter, and spark plugs. I like turning wrench plus by doing these schedule maintenance work myself I significantly reduce the cost of the 60k mile checkup by dealership. I'll have them change brake fluid, replace diff oil, and check rest of car out for me.
Old 11-25-15, 01:13 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I'd say the difference of giving your car dino vs synthetic oil is like treating your wife/GF to a fast-food place vs a nice restaurant. It's a matter of how much you like her. But nothing bad is going to happen with the cheap stuff. That sums it up pretty well. By the way, if you care about your car, I'd analyze the dino oil after a 5K-mile run if I were you. Part of the additive package could be depleted by then. Plus in a hot summer, viscosity could be below acceptable by then as well. If the car is just an appliance to you (or leasing it, meaning the same thing), then never mind. I like treating my vehicles well, and in this case, doesn't cost anything extra, so it's not even an issue for me. But once more, to each his own.
So basically what you're saying is that if I eat at McDonald's all the time, nothing bad will happen?

Quick Reply: No synthetic oil for RCF?