RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

No synthetic oil for RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 07:57 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
No not necessarily... It's on the oil cap & the owners manual..

IF synthetic was a requirement or it came with a Mobil 1 factory fill.. It would be mentioned in the literature with out a doubt...

Joe Z
Sure the 5W-30 spec is on the oil cap, I'm talking about the synthetic oil, which is what my dealer told me - Lexus spec'd synthetic oil. Why they would do that is not clear but I'm pretty sure there are cars on the road that are spec'd or at least roll out of the factory with synthetic so that is not unheard of. In fact my dealer told me my car rolled out of the factory with Mobil 1, which is apparently not the case from what you are saying, right? Then there is the mileage interval question - my dealer told me the RC F interval is 5K (agrees with the Owner's Manual), all other Lexus models are 10K, again not sure if that is true or what the rationale is there. What is the IS F interval I wonder?

At the end of the day all this is interesting but irrelevant - I wouldn't take my car to the dealer for an oil change either way because A. they charge way too much, and B. last time they did it they over-filled it by about a quart, which was unbelievable to me. They told me the meter on the pump they use for the bulk oil was out of calibration so they have been over-filling for who knows how long. Yikes.
Old 11-28-15, 10:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Sure the 5W-30 spec is on the oil cap, I'm talking about the synthetic oil, which is what my dealer told me - Lexus spec'd synthetic oil. Why they would do that is not clear but I'm pretty sure there are cars on the road that are spec'd or at least roll out of the factory with synthetic so that is not unheard of. In fact my dealer told me my car rolled out of the factory with Mobil 1, which is apparently not the case from what you are saying, right? Then there is the mileage interval question - my dealer told me the RC F interval is 5K (agrees with the Owner's Manual), all other Lexus models are 10K, again not sure if that is true or what the rationale is there. What is the IS F interval I wonder?
You can ask your dealer to back up their statement... Chances are they will retract it..

It's 5,000 mile change intervals because it's 5w30 conventional motor oil, again as spec'd by the Lexus Engineers.

Your RC F came with the below factory fill...

Some of the new 14+ Lexus motors are now being spec'd with 0w20 - which is indeed Synthetic factory filled, with Genuine Toyota motor oil.

Also, the change intervals have been bumped up to 10,000 miles on those applications..
As you already mentioned..

Why some dealerships do what they do..?? That's a very good question...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-28-15 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 10:47 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Here's another example where the Lexus literature would state where Mobil 1 would be required...

2012 Lexus LFA

Compared to when not required.. (Or Factory Filled with it)

2015 Lexus RC F

Joe Z
Old 11-29-15, 01:14 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Ahhh... so you have to spend LFA type dollars to get a Lexus with synthetic oil as the spec....

I know this is off topic, but where might I get some info on the JoeZ intake? I heard from ModInJapan that it's in production but out of stock. I was kind-of hoping to get a look see and info on it. Thanks bro.
Old 12-01-15, 07:03 PM
OHE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't take my car to the dealer for an oil change either way because A. they charge way too much, and B. last time they did it they over-filled it by about a quart, which was unbelievable to me.

Reading posts where people quibble about the cost of 10 quarts of synthetic over conventional, or the cost of an oil change at the dealer is a bit strange...knowing that the car chewed up ¥110,000,000 ($92,000 at today's exchange rate) just to get it out the door ;-)
Old 12-15-15, 07:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Ahhh... so you have to spend LFA type dollars to get a Lexus with synthetic oil as the spec....

I know this is off topic, but where might I get some info on the JoeZ intake? I heard from ModInJapan that it's in production but out of stock. I was kind-of hoping to get a look see and info on it. Thanks bro.
This month via Mod in Japan - hopefully

~ Joe Z
Old 12-15-15, 07:17 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

As promised.. Here is my IS F's (2UR-GSE) FIRST oil analysis report..

113k miles on the clock.. Oil changed DIY every 5-6k miles w/ conventional Mobil 5w30
(Never had synthetic in it)

Any questions..... Anyone ???

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Good deal Joe keep us posted, this is one of the best ways,to see health of your motor. You get so much info from their report some much more than just condition of your oil.

One of reason I opt for synthetic, living here in Westchester County a suburb of New York City we get extreme temperature shift zero in the winter and 100 in the summer, stop and go traffic and I drive my car aggressively I don't beat on it, but I push at times lol. I've been to NJMP twice on both tracks lighting and thunder, Monticello Raceway as well as Englishtown and Atco and this is my DD got love it.
Attachment 374713
Old 12-15-15, 08:28 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

113k miles on the clock.. Oil changed DIY every 5-6k miles w/ conventional Mobil 5w30

~ Joe Z

Looks good and what I would expect, 99% of people run all the other BS because of marketing and never send in the oil. I guess it sounds cooler to the car nerds to say you run royal purple / redline / Moble 1 because they have better car ads.

I have had 4 Toyota's in my family all with over 250k all run conventional and changed 5k with 0 motor problems.
Old 12-15-15, 08:31 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

~ Joe Z
Outstanding report, surprised your readings were satisfactory at 6,000 miles on conventional, I thought for sure they would have something negative to say about the oil being in the engine too long.
Old 12-16-15, 04:18 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good, but I am going synthetic here at 5,000 miles. I want to compare the oil consumption.
Old 12-16-15, 08:27 PM
gipsonke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my 5K today...service advisor went out of his way to point out that because I had an "F" (performance) Lexus, that it did NOT get synthetic and the oil change was half of the usual 10K. My personal mechanic tells me that the only difference between regular oil and synthetic is the cost and the extended length of time between changes for synthetic.

Since I favor shorter oil change intervals (3-5K max) I'm going with conventional oil, which I've always used.

And as far as gas, I've always used Mobil but recently switched to nothing but Shell in my RC F. I would never use ARCO or a "no name" gas. Everyone has their preferences I suppose?! :-)
Old 12-16-15, 08:47 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care what's in your personally used oil, I know for a fact that engines run smoother and slipperier with quality synthetic. Fact.

Oh, whoops.. here's more of those exact facts: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ventional-oil/

If you want to prove something, do a back to back dyno test. If you can show me a scientific back to back dyno test that shows absolutely zero gains, then I'll believe you.

Until then..
Old 12-16-15, 09:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

And here I thought you would have appreciated the scientific evidence from my Blackstone Oil Laboratories report

Joe Z

Originally Posted by jsmacks
I don't care what's in your personally used oil, I know for a fact that engines run smoother and slipperier with quality synthetic. Fact.

Oh, whoops.. here's more of those exact facts: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...ventional-oil/

If you want to prove something, do a back to back dyno test. If you can show me a scientific back to back dyno test that shows absolutely zero gains, then I'll believe you.

Until then..
Old 12-16-15, 09:25 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks

Until then..

So you know more then the people who made the motor? So what else should I tell my friend who is an engineer at Toyota so he can share your knowledge

Also a Dyno is about the worst way to show a consistent power output for anything unless you pull the motor have the exact same air temp as well as oil / water temp on the motor but I am sure you knew all of this because it's probability on some other hotrod site on the internet

Last edited by Ryanmcd; 12-16-15 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-17-15, 07:59 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading comprehension and basic critical thinking skills: It's a good quality to have.

Key term - "Back to back" - Meaning.. back to back. Same air temp, same car, same day, same operating temp.

Please tell me how this engine is any different than any other engine with regards to being a bunch of rotating metal parts that require lubrication just like any other engine since 1876. But, I'm sure you already knew that because it's.. ah.. wait. Apparently you didn't already know that..

Quick Reply: No synthetic oil for RCF?