Saying Goodbye to my RCF

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 09:20 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by buckse
I upgraded to a 2014 Audi R8 V10
Congrats on the R8! What options did you go with?
Old 11-13-15, 03:16 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The tranny on this car is far from perfect, especially in auto mode. But even the best DCT is crappy in auto mode, as DCTs are only quick when driven sequentially by design (second clutch is ready to shift to the next higher or lower gear, not 2 or more). That means they're meant to be driven in MANUAL mode. And so is the RC-F if you want to drive aggressively, and want quick responses. Once oil is up to operating temperature, and rpm are above 3K rpm, it shifts very quickly, almost DCT quick on upshifts (and with a satisfying 'kick', which I really like), and just a tad slower on downshifts. And if you want to let you wife drive it, or just leisurely, it doesn't get smoother than this tranny. And finally, if you drive in sport+, the tranny doesn't shift to 8th even in manual mode, unless you're going really fast. In fact, at around 80, it only gets up to 6th in my car. So you have to switch to sport if you want 8th to kick in. Or manual mode in sport+, which allows you up to 7th at that speed. And downshifts are quite responsive. But the bottom line is if you anticipate a need to accelerate quickly, you can use the paddles to drop a gear, two, or three in anticipation of a pass or somehting, even while in AUTO mode. You know, like if you were ENGAGED in driving, which you should be. If you're caught in 8th gear and you need 4th or so, you're NOT focused in driving. And it's YOUR fault, not the car's or tranny's.

Congrats on the R8. I'm thinking of possibly trading the RC-F for a 2016 911 GTS with manual transmission, since ALL new ones will be turbo for 2017. And production starts in February, while production of 2016s end in December. I'd get a second bath in a row if I do that, so might pass on it. Will drive one with sportPASM suspension, and see if it's worth paying over 130+ grand for one. The R8 is nice, but useless to me, since you can barely fit a shoebox in that paltry 'frunk'. My buddy had one, and I also wasn't impressed with the interior, but maybe the new one debuting very soon (based on the Huracán) will be better. Enjoy it.
Old 11-14-15, 06:01 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oooh R8! I had one which I bought second hand but hey ho, got rid of because of reasons I shouldn't say so you wont get worried!

Anyway - it does seem the transmission was the main issue.

After having the chance to drive the RC-F and GS-F back to back in Madrid last month, I agree with you, its not the best transmission

Having said that - the GS-F is in a whole different league. The transmission software is awesome and shifts are almost instant! It also handles and brakes better than an RC-F - odd huh?!

But the GS-F is what the RC-F should have been!
Old 11-14-15, 10:19 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Having said that - the GS-F is in a whole different league. The transmission software is awesome and shifts are almost instant! It also handles and brakes better than an RC-F - odd huh?!

But the GS-F is what the RC-F should have been!
How is this possible?! Doesn't the GSF have the same transmission as the RCF?
Old 11-14-15, 11:17 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Doesn't the GSF have the same transmission as the RCF?
It does indeed. And it's also the same one on our 2015 cars. The only thing that could have changed is the tuning. But if that was the case, I'm sure Lexus would have mentioned that with the RC-F changes. And if something changed, I'm sure they could retrofit it to our cars if enough people b*tch about it. We'll have to wait until both 2016 Fs are tested and see if something comes up.
Old 11-16-15, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
How is this possible?! Doesn't the GSF have the same transmission as the RCF?
it is very possible. the ls460 (even sports) has the same 8 speed as the old isf, no way it shifts anywhere close to that of isf

having the same hardware is only 50% of the problem, the software and tuning can makes huge difference
Old 11-16-15, 01:40 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First congrats on the R8 ~ I have one and it is rock solid reliable, don't let the non-owners tell you otherwise. It's been more maintenance free than my past cars for sure. Did you get the manual tranny or auto?

The IS-F and RC-F both have the same 8-speed transmission which I remember many disliked it on the IS-F too but I will say be careful what you ask for. I thought the e90 m3 DCT was better so I went that route after my IS-F. It's a better tranny if you are a boy racer and love to mash the throttle. The m3 tranny is better for track duty for sure but for a DD, the 8-speed auto is WAY smoother. If you want more instant throttle response, put it in sport mode and shift manually. It's a great compromise for DD and smoothness plus awesome fuel economy.

Now I miss my IS-F 8-speed more (m3 has long been sold).