RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 11:48 AM
SleepKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I haven't gone through with it yet (still debating) - for those that are interested in the TSB, here it is:

Decisions decisions...
Old 12-18-15, 03:29 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepKing
for those that are interested in the TSB, here it is
Thanks for the info man. I'm keeping the original pads, but wanted to point out this might only be free of charge during the 'adjustment period', which typically runs 1-yr or 12K miles, whichever occurs first. Hopefully somebody can post Lexus official stand on this issue as far as free replacement.
Old 12-30-15, 09:34 AM
ghoffner
Driver

It has been 3 weeks since I had my pads replaced and the new ones they put on are just as bad as the old ones. They're actually so bad that I am starting to even question if they were actually replaced. Plan on taking it to Lexus again to have it looked at
Old 01-27-16, 04:12 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default L-sb-0054-15 [complete]

Finally my dealer agreed on doing the LSB. Parts is now on order. Attached is the complete document.

Chu...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0054-15.pdf (2.64 MB, 742 views)
Old 02-19-16, 02:17 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

Went to my dealer and initially they refused to change my pads. I showed them the LSB and finally they agreed.

Disclaimer is the "alternative" pads are not as good as brembos, they are Toyota. They told me that brembos are known to this issue so how come Lexus went this route? I asked how less this brake pads performance wise and they could not tell me. They finally order the parts but will not guarantee that it won't squeal anymore.

I don't track my car so if it squeaks again I'm def buying carbotech.

Last edited by alfaromeo3; 02-19-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 03:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^^The pads are not made by Brembo, the calipers are. On the ISF the stock pads were made by Textar as I recall. Don't know about the RCF.

I'm running Ferodo DS2500 on the front and Project Mu HC+800 pads on my ISF. The combo is awesome. And so is SpeedFreaks, a forum sponsor.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (07-23-18)
Old 02-19-16, 03:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
Went to my dealer and initially they refused to change my pads. I showed them the LSB and finally they agreed.

Disclaimer is the "alternative" pads are not as good as brembos, they are Toyota. They told me that brembos are known to this issue so how come Lexus went this route? I asked how less this brake pads performance wise and they could not tell me. They finally order the parts but will not guarantee that it won't squeal anymore.

I don't track my car so if it squeaks again I'm def buying carbotech.

you won't notice it with normal street driving.

on a track you will find that hard braking after the rotors are hot will result in brake fad and reduced bite.

unless you are driving very hard and heating up the brakes to the top of their design specs, chances are you will not notice an issue.

My dealer offered to change mine, I've dealt with this issue on the last 4 cars I have owned that have had Brembo brakes, it is not specific to Lexus but to Brembo. As such I opted to hold off replacing mine, my pads are at 9mm, dealer said they can only replace them if they are 5mm or more, so I will wait and have it done about 10k-12k miles when the pads are near 5mm.

Brembo pads only last 14k-15k miles anyway, so might as well take advantage of a free brake job via the LSB..
Old 02-19-16, 08:52 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
you won't notice it with normal street driving.

on a track you will find that hard braking after the rotors are hot will result in brake fad and reduced bite.

unless you are driving very hard and heating up the brakes to the top of their design specs, chances are you will not notice an issue.

My dealer offered to change mine, I've dealt with this issue on the last 4 cars I have owned that have had Brembo brakes, it is not specific to Lexus but to Brembo. As such I opted to hold off replacing mine, my pads are at 9mm, dealer said they can only replace them if they are 5mm or more, so I will wait and have it done about 10k-12k miles when the pads are near 5mm.

Brembo pads only last 14k-15k miles anyway, so might as well take advantage of a free brake job via the LSB..
I need new pads. I am down to 4/32s. How are the carbotechs and what is price.
Old 02-20-16, 06:20 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=DougHII;9374184 carbotechs what is price.[/QUOTE]
I asked carbotech directly a few months ago for a quote but have not
order yet.
They said:
There is a core charge on the front, but not the rear set of the new RC-F. They are not backing plates that we can purchase yet, we have to get new or used sets sent in to us in order to make the pads for you. The front, CT1440-1521 are $261 for the set. However, there will be either a $25 core cleaning charge added to that if you send us an old set of pads in or there will be an additional $80 charge if you do not. So the front pads are actually either $286 or $341. The rear pads, the CT1807-1521 are $229. No additional charges are needed for those pad shapes. They are both currently in stock. Additionally, UPS ground will cost between $20-$25.
Your total with UPS ground service would be either $555 or $590.
These are the same pads that Speed Freaks sells, we supply them to Speed Freaks, they are one of our dealers.
Mike Puskar, Jr. <jr@ctbrakes.com>
Old 02-23-16, 03:20 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I need new pads. I am down to 4/32s. How are the carbotechs and what is price.
If you're happy with the performance of the pads that came with the car but just want less dust then the Carbotech 1521 compound is a great option for this car. We had a lot of success with this compound on the IS-F and other luxury performance vehicles where low dust without sacrificing performance is the priority. We have worked with Carbotech on making these available for the RC F and have even been trying to source and manufacture our own backplates for this application since Carbotech is still unable to cut them with their equipment. As far as price we can offer these for a bit less than anyone else- $521 shipped for the full set including the core/cleaning charge which is 10% off and free shipping

-Matt M.
Old 02-23-16, 03:21 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I am glad Lexus provided a free OE replacement option for customers who were unhappy with the dust and noise levels of the original pads. However, some people are more sensitive to braking performance and prefer not to decrease the initial bite and overall friction levels and I am glad we have options for them. For those who would rather take the OE replacements now, eventually there will be a need to replace those pads and if they are $1,100 from a dealership then the Carbotechs will be the clear choice going forward for many (for now at least).

For those who really drive their cars aggressively up in the mountains, auto x, or want to do some DE events and need even more from their brakes we have some Endless compounds available but the MX72 will likely be the most relevant to the RC F community since it maintains it's street friendliness.

-Matt M.
Old 05-17-16, 06:06 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
Finally my dealer agreed on doing the LSB. Parts is now on order. Attached is the complete document.

Chu...
Thank you, very informative
Old 05-17-16, 06:16 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
well do. about 25 miles so far

just raced a c7 stingray and smashed him with the spray of course
What system are you using? Anyou other modifications needed when spray kit is installed?
Old 09-16-17, 06:16 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Brakes were down to 6mm so took it in for the TSB pad replacement. Told them they squeak and there were no questions asked.
Initial impressions are initial bite is slightly less but am looking forward to a lower dust condition. $1287.00 value

UPDATE: Put on around 300 miles and the wheels are just as clean. Brake feel has also improved as they are starting to seat. Recommended if you do not track and you hate cleaning wheels.

Last edited by lexusnutt; 09-17-17 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 10:38 AM
rcho
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Brakes were down to 6mm so took it in for the TSB pad replacement. Told them they squeak and there were no questions asked.

Initial impressions are initial bite is slightly less but am looking forward to a lower dust condition. $1287.00 value

What was your milage at when you get it done?

Quick Reply: Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads