RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Joe-Z Intake Tube Install / Air Valve Open Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 05:10 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
I think most people just skim or completely ignore you because of your tone.
First of all, I don't give a rat's a$$ what people think of me on a public car forum. And I'm far from a 'tough' guy, but not as thin-skinned as you. Second, you're in the wrong place if you're that sensitive. Third, this is not a dating site. And even if it was, I wasn't going to change just for you. Fourth, I don't post much, but I've been a CL member for decades; hence my post count. And finally, if I'm not of your (or anybody else's) liking, that's exactly what the 'ignore' list is for. You're welcome to use it. Have a good one.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-19-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 05:37 PM
djeayzonne
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just some positive criticism, mate.
Yes, it is a 'freaking' public forum. Nevermind, I should have known better.
Old 11-19-15, 05:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by djeayzonne
Just some positive criticism, mate.
Leave that for dating or relationship sites man. Seriously. You're NOT going to change every member into who you want them to be, period. The only line you're not allowed to cross is the RESPECT one, as in threats, calling names, etc. We're here to talk about CARS, and you'll find all kinds of personalities in a public forum. If one is too 'offensive' for you (like mine), like I said above, just ignore me. I have several folks there already, and I'm going to add you as well, to avoid a pissing contest. Easy, see? Now back to the subject folks.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-19-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 07:00 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I've did the Flap thing 3-4 times & i keep going back & putting it back to oem just because it does sound Fake to me. It's like Lexus is Tryin' to add a lil' more Growl to the car & TO ME it just Isn't there. What's the Biggest Difference in putting it in Sport or Sport+ Mode? JW? Does it have something to do with the Transmission or the Sound. I thought it was suppose to be the Fastest in Sport+?
Old 11-19-15, 09:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The sport+ noise is fake man. I own the freaking car, and know what I'm talking about. It's the same with BMWs and other cars. Supposedly synthesized from the same engine, but synthesized nonetheless. It's a freaking speaker making the noise, for crying outloud. If you owned the car would easily test it the way I said, so you'll have to take my word for it. The intake noise above 3,800 rpm is not fake, and you hear it thru the firewall. This car has no piping into the cabin, which would have been better than opening a flap inside the engine compartment, where is hot as hell in summer (heatsoak). This car has absolutely no electronic cabin noise reduction. As far as I know, Bose has that patented... but it's crap. Have had several cars with that, and it makes no difference whatsoever in a car.
You did not read my post clearly. I am not stating my personal opinions there and not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. It is your theory vs what Lexus and its chief engineer have officially stated. I am merely reiterating what Lexus and its chief engineer have given as the technical explanation. Merely amplified sounds and bad frequency cancellation in S+. It is because people deserve to have the proper information on a particular matter straight from the people who built the car.

There is no need to "convince" me of that. You would be better off arguing with the chief engineer.

"Chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi is quick to assert that Active Sound Control is not a synthesizer broadcasting phony motor music; rather, bad noise is electronically canceled with an out-of-phase signal and the choice notes are enhanced to produce a 7000-to-7300-rpm aria that no turbocharged engine can rival. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gs-f

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-19-15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 09:45 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
You did not read my post clearly. I am not stating my personal opinions there and not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. It is your theory vs what Lexus and its chief engineer have officially stated. I am merely reiterating what Lexus and its chief engineer have given as the technical explanation. Merely amplified sounds and bad frequency cancellation in S+. It is because people deserve to have the proper information on a particular matter straight from the people who built the car.

There is no need to "convince" me of that. You would be better off arguing with the chief engineer.

"Chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi is quick to assert that Active Sound Control is not a synthesizer broadcasting phony motor music; rather, bad noise is electronically canceled with an out-of-phase signal and the choice notes are enhanced to produce a 7000-to-7300-rpm aria that no turbocharged engine can rival. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gs-f
Thanks for this. This was my original understanding
Old 11-20-15, 08:39 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The sport+ noise is fake man. I own the freaking car, and know what I'm talking about. It's the same with BMWs and other cars. Supposedly synthesized from the same engine, but synthesized nonetheless. It's a freaking speaker making the noise, for crying outloud. If you owned the car would easily test it the way I said, so you'll have to take my word for it. The intake noise above 3,800 rpm is not fake, and you hear it thru the firewall. This car has no piping into the cabin, which would have been better than opening a flap inside the engine compartment, where is hot as hell in summer (heatsoak). This car has absolutely no electronic cabin noise reduction. As far as I know, Bose has that patented... but it's crap. Have had several cars with that, and it makes no difference whatsoever in a car.
If you go to a concert, is the sound "fake" because a speaker is transmitting the sound the guitarist is playing, and you're not hearing the "real" sound from the guitar? Is the sound engineer, who is changing the volume levels of different frequencies across the sound spectrum to provide the best listening experience, creating a "fake experience"?

It's 100% objectively, provably not the same as in a BMW. So let's disregard that comparison except to contrast against something that is 100% pre-recorded sound. If you go to a concert and someone is lip syncing, I think most people would agree that is a "fake experience". But that's not what's happening here, so let's stop making that comparison.

Have you ever flown international first class? Many airlines provide active noise canceling headphones. Having personally experienced them, I will say with no doubts that they are the single greatest enhancement of the flight experience - better than the nicer seat, the more comfortable bed, and the private attendant giving you all the food and drink you want. Putting those on makes the world more silent than as quiet as I can get my house in the suburbs with no one else home. You arrive at your destination much more refreshed because your subconscious isn't engaged for hours filtering out unwanted noise. This is by no means a "fake experience". It's real and measurable and quantifiable. And it's different from listening to pre-recorded music, which does NOT cancel out unwanted noise, it simply disguises it by being louder; but your brain is still working to process sound, regardless.

So, yes ASC alters the experience of listening to the engine. But is it really any different from tuning engine noise through mechanical piping? It's simply a technology advancement that can achieve a better effect. Just like a torque vectoring differential can reduce steering angle and improve grip, you have a computer enhancing the experience of driving the car.
Old 11-20-15, 11:18 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

It was proven this mod made the car run slower on the IS-F forums, it appears the engine ecu expects the flap to be closed at a certain RPM.
Old 11-20-15, 01:32 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
It was proven this mod made the car run slower on the IS-F forums, it appears the engine ecu expects the flap to be closed at a certain RPM.
I could see that as well throwing off the AFR and sucking in more hot air, again it felt more sluggish to me.
Old 11-21-15, 08:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Great Post & Thread...!!!

Thank You - Joe Z

Originally Posted by toystry
So yesterday my Joe-Z intake tube arrived. Quality was superb, nice welds, hardware was good, my only gripe is that the color of the tube doesn't match the blue inside the engine bay as much as I thought it would. Oh well, not the end of the word but a better color match would have made it PERFECT.

I was going to do a how-to-video on this install, but it's really not needed. Unscrew the bolts, remove, reinstall, that simple. Only tools you need are a phillips or flathead (or 8mm socket), some windex or water as lubricant to slide the tubes on when reinstalling and about 20 mins to install.

Joe-Z intake tube installed:

For those who want to continue to debate / discuss the "Active Sound Control" components..
and/or "How it works"

You should try this thread:

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-21-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 06:26 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy **** folks, chill out......OMG.

As for the Air Valve mod, I switched it back as it had a huge lag and long pause when hitting the skinny pedal. I lasted all of 2 days before putting the tube back on as I hated it.

So......DON'T REMOVE THE TUBE if you don't want a lag/pause when you go to accelerate. The "little" sound difference you get isn't worth it. I guess I'll have to hold out another month until my Meisterschaft exhaust arrives.
Old 11-23-15, 07:15 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

So, WHAT is the Advantage as far as Performance between Sport & Sport+ Modes? Sounds like it's Better just to keep it in Sport Mode?
Old 11-23-15, 07:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
So, WHAT is the Advantage as far as Performance between Sport & Sport+ Modes? Sounds like it's Better just to keep it in Sport Mode?
Sport S just preps Engine & Shifting RPMs..

Sport S+ adds Steering & Brakes for optimized performance driving

Oh + ASC is Engaged..!!

Sport S

Sport S+

Joe Z
Old 11-23-15, 08:25 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think in sport + part throttle is more sensitive, someone else needs to test this for me. Like 50% gas then go back to normal and try it again.
Old 11-23-15, 11:20 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it wrong that I swapped the tach modes? haha! I love the Sport tach view, so it's my Sport+ mode view now.

Thanks for clarifying up this question. Now I can tell my M4 buddy to shut up.

Quick Reply: Joe-Z Intake Tube Install / Air Valve Open Modification