RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Expert mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 07:23 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
no it's sport + mode then touch the traction control button once and quickly release. EXPERT will show next to Sport + on the gauge.

it turns off all the nannies, and I mean all. .

I played with it on a back road and was able to do a power brake launch and the tires spun through 3rd gear, be careful though as the back end likes to fish tail and slide sideways (I don't have TVD). .
This is what i'd experienced also, but the tires didn't spin thru 3rd gear! It spun in 1st & the tail end did fish a lil' but Nuthin' you couldn't control & when you hit 2nd wasn't anything special. Unless maybe if you have a Bottle, there's NO WAY i can see Spinning thru 3rd Gear! Lol this car doesn't have the Torque to do that.
Old 11-24-15, 07:53 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, started racing karts at 13 in 1980s, began SCCA and club racing Porsches before I graduated from high school, have had seat time in everything from various spec to Formula Atlantic/Dodge/Mazda/Mazda Pro and Champ Atlantic open wheel to GT2 and GT3 Cup closed wheel. I have also taught at Skip Barber, Porsche Driving Experience, nationally certified PCA instructor and instructed for BMW CCA, PBOC Racing, Audi and Chin.

Growing up racing air cooled 911s will force you to learn the art of trail braking. Know all about understeer. The RCF is very predictable and I can get the front to grip with tiny throttle steer adjustments.
Thanks for the resume there. While mine isn't as impressive, it's still enough to understand all about trail braking and understeer. Go try a 100mph corner and see if you can trail brake or throttle the understeer out of the RC-F. Out of the box, the car is severely front grip limited so you're forced to go slow.
Old 11-24-15, 08:45 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
Thanks for the resume there. While mine isn't as impressive, it's still enough to understand all about trail braking and understeer. Go try a 100mph corner and see if you can trail brake or throttle the understeer out of the RC-F. Out of the box, the car is severely front grip limited so you're forced to go slow.
I don't see what you are talking about with the front grip, are you trying to Jeremy Clarkson it into a turn?

And Doug = Doctor, you = the guy who looks things up on WebMD and plays doctor.
Old 11-24-15, 09:01 AM
rage2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I don't see what you are talking about with the front grip, are you trying to Jeremy Clarkson it into a turn?

And Doug = Doctor, you = the guy who looks things up on WebMD and plays doctor.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9224931

But hey, stay in denial and continue to think the RC-F is perfect, while the big boys try to make the car better.
Old 11-24-15, 09:28 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Forced to go slow in an RCF because of front grip? I have to say it's your driving skills if you go slow in a closed circuit in an RCF. Don't take my word, my buddy Randy Pobst didn't have much trouble getting around Willow quickly in an RCF.

Try 100 mph in what kind of corner??? Decreasing radius, kink, single or double apex carousel, slow sweeper, 90 degree . . . That is a very bizarre statement without more qualification.

I can trail brake and throttle steer anything on wheels.

We used to mess around at DEs. We would fly in to tracks we liked around the country and sometimes rent the biggest, crappiest land yacht type sedan to instruct in. We would load up these land yachts and take them 10/10ths around the track just for ****s and giggles. Lol, at Barber, we used to take bus loads of students around both the wet and dry lines in those Mercedes can thingies around 8/10ths or so.

Last edited by DougHII; 11-24-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-24-15, 09:44 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

This is always funny, I used to track a twin turbo RX7 and my friend raced one in world challenge with the big boys out of Mostly Mazda in Cali. You think you are good until you let a pro drive your car and see what they do different.

But hey it's a lot easier to say the car sucks then to get better right?
Old 11-24-15, 12:37 PM
rage2
Rookie

Forced to go slow in an RCF because of front grip? I have to say it's your driving skills if you go slow in a closed circuit in an RCF. Don't take my word, my buddy Randy Pobst didn't have much trouble getting around Willow quickly in an RCF.
I can't name drop Randy Pobst, but I will google-fu what he said about the RC-F around Willow...

Oh snap, what's that? Lemme quote what he said. "Little bit more understeer than I might prefer". Sorry, but Randy has a bigger resume than you buddy.
Try 100 mph in what kind of corner??? Decreasing radius, kink, single or double apex carousel, slow sweeper, 90 degree . . . That is a very bizarre statement without more qualification.
Sure, let's keep it to the most simplest of corners. Flat single corner. At high speeds, there is not enough camber to keep the front tires on the tread surface, which is why the RC-F has so much problems powering out of high speed corners where there isn't enough torque to induce a bit of rear slip angle with the throttle.
I can trail brake and throttle steer anything on wheels.
How do you trail brake into a corner where there isn't enough of a straight line to actually use the brakes going into the corner? How do you throttle steer into said corner when there's not enough torque to induce any meaningful rear slip angle? Well I guess you can lift and move some weight forward, until your sidewall overheat because you're riding it turn after turn.

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
This is always funny, I used to track a twin turbo RX7 and my friend raced one in world challenge with the big boys out of Mostly Mazda in Cali. You think you are good until you let a pro drive your car and see what they do different.

But hey it's a lot easier to say the car sucks then to get better right?
I'm not a professional race car driver, nor do I have as impressive of a resume as DougHII over there, but it doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I was a Solo champion back in the day, competing in a car that sucked for handling, was severely outclassed by much better machinery in the same class, so I do know a thing or 2 about driving around a car's weaknesses.

It's hilarious how defensive RC-F owners are. At least I'm realistic about the weaknesses of my purchase.
Old 11-24-15, 01:20 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Get race tires and call it a day?
Old 11-24-15, 04:30 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

I mentioned Probst lap time to show the RCF is not slow in capable hands as Rage2 suggested.

Let's Randy's comment into context: "a little bit more understeer than I might prefer." Hardly a bash. Any professional driver will prefer no understeer whatsoever or even a tad bit of oversteer whereas an understeer bias may be preferable for novice or intermediate drivers.

My comment that started this was I find the RCF "fairly neutral" and "I can easily get the fronts to grip with small understeer corrections." Randy also got the fronts to grip and found a respectable lap time. I never said no understeer. Even my Elise I use to instruct has understeer.

The RCF is a capable car that will manage respectable times. Definitely not slow and definitely easy to drive at pace. Is it the best? Of course not! No one is saying it is . . .

Last edited by DougHII; 11-24-15 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 07:27 AM
rage2
Rookie

I mentioned Probst lap time to show the RCF is not slow in capable hands as Rage2 suggested.

Let's Randy's comment into context: "a little bit more understeer than I might prefer." Hardly a bash. Any professional driver will prefer no understeer whatsoever or even a tad bit of oversteer whereas an understeer bias may be preferable for novice or intermediate drivers.

My comment that started this was I find the RCF "fairly neutral" and "I can easily get the fronts to grip with small understeer corrections." Randy also got the fronts to grip and found a respectable lap time. I never said no understeer. Even my Elise I use to instruct has understeer.

The RCF is a capable car that will manage respectable times. Definitely not slow and definitely easy to drive at pace. Is it the best? Of course not! No one is saying it is . . .
Woah, don't put words in my mouth. I never said the RCF is slow, nor did I bring up lap times. I just said that the car understeers and handles sloppy at the limit, but is fine at 7/10ths, and you jumped all over me with your resume lol.

This started because of your exact comment. I disagree that the RCF is fairly neutral at the limit, and yes, if you slow down enough (ie 7/10ths) it'll handle just fine. But for guys that like to push their cars like you and I, driving 7/10ths is silly.
Old 11-25-15, 11:56 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
This is what i'd experienced also, but the tires didn't spin thru 3rd gear! It spun in 1st & the tail end did fish a lil' but Nuthin' you couldn't control & when you hit 2nd wasn't anything special. Unless maybe if you have a Bottle, there's NO WAY i can see Spinning thru 3rd Gear! Lol this car doesn't have the Torque to do that.

find the right road and wet the tires first and it sure does.. i'll have to video it when I get a chance.
Old 11-25-15, 01:29 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Woah, don't put words in my mouth. I never said the RCF is slow, nor did I bring up lap times.

. . .

I disagree that the RCF is fairly neutral at the limit, and yes, if you slow down enough (ie 7/10ths) it'll handle just fine. But for guys that like to push their cars like you and I, driving 7/10ths is silly.
??? You state: "Out of the box, the car is severely front grip limited so you're forced to go slow."

A novice or intermediate car control course may help one lacking skills to maintain car control and grip at 8/10ths or 9/10ths . . ., that and more seat time. By definition, a car still has grip at 9/10ths and 10/10ths. If plowing the front, you are beyond 10/10ths . . .

Last edited by DougHII; 11-25-15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-25-15, 04:56 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
find the right road and wet the tires first and it sure does.. i'll have to video it when I get a chance.
Thanks mjeds, i'd LOVE to be able to do this in Mine so my Son could see it, he'd really get a kick out of it!
Old 11-26-15, 02:28 PM
fallguy767
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
He should have turned everything off driving like that. He was fighting VSC, which makes the car unpredictable if you're trying to control it too. Can't believe he didn't know how to turn it off; he just wanted to slam the car IMO. HATE when reviewers critique a car for what they want it to be, rather than for what it is. And expecting a 4-seater coupe to be like a $400K supercar is just idiotic. I never liked that guy, so wasn't sad when he was dumped.
Ya a 300 pound guy having trouble with the seatbelt ? Wow
Old 12-15-15, 10:33 AM
gmag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
what everybody else says.. just don't be like Jeremy Clarkson and run it off the freaking track.

Lexus RC F Samurai! Top Gear Series 22 BBC - YouTube

I suppose he assumes he's an, 'expert'... maybe an expert at being too chubby for the seat

Quick Reply: Expert mode?