RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rock VS Windshield ...rock wins :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 09:26 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my detailer and clear bra installer does the clearplex.com film install.

http://www.clearplex.com/
Old 12-11-15, 10:58 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Feeling your pain. Same happened to me. The replacement glass might be stronger than the OEM. Thread: windshield-chipped-and-replaced
Old 12-12-15, 03:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Radical350
The replacement glass might be stronger than the OEM
I can tell you from experience it's NOT. And I've tried both Safelite and Southwest Auto Glass, who probably use the same overseas products. And not only that, the wind noise is significantly more, telling me they're thinner as well. You'll never best OEM when it comes to replacement parts. It can be close, but better than OEM? Haven't seen any yet. Performance parts? Yes. But REPLACEMENT parts? Nope. And I'm not saying the OEM windshields are strong by any means. They're crap IMO, soft as hell. At least by desert southwest standards, where they get pummeled by crap all the time, especially in windy season (most of the year). But aftermarket ones chip worse than OEM, just like aftermarket paint. Plus my vehicles always end up with scratches, missing clips, etc. Next time will pay for OEM, whatever more it costs. AND replaced at dealer, not any of those mobile places. If you really trust one of those mobile places, they can order most OEM windshields at a higher cost (FYI). Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 12-12-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 07:02 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I took a bit of a cross-country road trip after having the RC F for about 3 months. The second day on the road, I got a pretty good chip with a bit of a star around it, got that one fixed at Lexus in SLC, UT. Then on the way back east I got another bigger chip in Wyoming on I-80, got that one filled in Colorao Springs. It's amazing what they can do these days to fix chips, I thought for sure I was looking at a new windshield with the second one.
Old 12-17-15, 11:13 PM
ILoveMyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I was heading into work this morning, enjoying the RC F in the morning as always and I see two big trunks carrying dirt in the right lane. I need to get off at the next exit so I moved 2 lanes over to get away from them, and moved back over. As I'm exiting a semi truck was also exiting, just your standard old semi and I just see this huge rock come flying and bash the lower middle of the windshield. It was about the size of a penny, so I thought okay I might be okay and get it fixed. As I park I see the crack grow and bam you see the line go across the windshield. Fawk!

Really? I've got a little shy of 1500 miles, and that **** happens? Brand new freaking car! I had my Nissan 350Z for 11 years, and not one rock. *face palm*

What bothers me is I will know it's not from factory. I had to replace a side window in another car, and I could always hear the wind.

My problem is I just care for my stuff to much, especially my cars. You know how we are with our cars, we take pride in them. We all worked hard to get them, and we just want to enjoy them.

It's going to cost me $1,100 bucks to fix with the OEM windshield. My deductible is $1,000 so I'm just going to pay it out of pocket, keep insurance out of it. Sucks.

Cheers,
This happened to me with my '14 IS 350 F sport. Got the windshield protection package along with tire and wheel. I hear a lot of Lexus drivers complaining of chips and cracks in the windshield. I made sure to get the protection on my RC F.