RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone put an aftermarket stereo in the RCF yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 08:24 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

So this product looks pretty cool. To be honest, its a little above my knowledge. Might you be able to tell me how to use this. My old setup was as follows

LC2i with remote bass **** - http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc2i/
- this was tied into the factory amp via line out speaker inputs then coverns to RCA
- RCA was fed to the AMP for the power

Where would this device go - what product do you recommend the 2x4 ?

I have the ML system. Thanks
Old 04-13-24, 10:54 PM
ShriddyKay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckse
I had the standard radio in my RCF and was very disappointed with the sound which is odd, because my ears normally adjust to a stock radio after a few days. But after a few weeks I was convinced the stock radio just sucked--even my friends noticed it, so maybe I got a bad one. All of the speakers worked, but they just didn't sound very good. With the stock radio there is a 3 band EQ for each input which I did adjust, so when I got done, all of the inputs kind of sounded the same (muddy, boomy, and crappy).

I added an Alpine amp, a JBL audio processor, Focal speakers, and a 10" sub in a custom fiberglass box I stuck in the right side corner of the trunk just in front of the cargo net. Put a sub-volume *** in the armrest console. Did it at CarToys and it was almost $5K with parts and labor. The installer covered the custom sub-box with the same black carpet that was in the trunk and it looked stock. This left plenty of room in the trunk.

Buddies from work said it was the best car stereo they ever heard. It took the installer about 3 days to get it done and to get everything tuned. The Audio processor had these headphones you would put on and sit in the driver and passenger seats, and it EQ'd the speakers and adjusted time delay to those positions with a bunch of DSP processing. It really sounded great and the single 10" sub was more than enough for me.

Funny thing is, with the better amp, processor, and speakers, I could REALLY tell a big difference between all of the inputs. CD's sounded GREAT. IPhone through headphone jack sounded really good. I think Bluetooth audio from my iPhone was probably next best, then HD Radio, and last was the satellite radio which just really sucked. Most of my MP3's were recorded at 128bps so they pretty much sucked and there was a lot of clipping (which I did not hear on stock system), but AAC encoded audio sounded much better.
Hey do you remember the size of speakers used for your mids? Also where did he get the inputs for the dsp?
Old 04-13-24, 11:52 PM
corolla6mt
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

ML is a Class-D Amp. Class D is used for small form factor design but is a no-no for audiophiles, yes it can be considered NOT "clear" ~ muddled. Add to that the low bitrate of Sirius and poorly ripped mp3s.
I only listen to 2 sources to make the ML work: Amazon HD/Ultra HD which can stream upto 3730 kbps (24bit 128Khz) lossless flac OR physical CD only. With Amazon Ultra HD, you are only limited to the hardware of your phone. I tried all other streaming services and Amazon Ultra HD is the only true high bitrate audiophile stream.

I would consider myself an Audiophile (I have Class-A amps at home), and my best advice before you start ripping up the hardware is to provide a high quality source first (throw Sirius out the window). I have always replaced the sound system in my previous vehicles with a new deck, amp and sub amp and all speakers; but decided to stay with the ML in the RCF cause its is such a small space and sounds sufficient with a good hires source.
Old 04-16-24, 09:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
I had 2 12" AlumaPro Comp subs in a custom box irunning off a 1500 watt alpine amp n my 3rd Gen Is350 F. The parts are siting in my house and I'm debating on installing in in the RCF. The box fits perfectly in the trunk, and all the parts ( Audio control LC2i to tap into the stock system and its remote bass control ) can switch over.

Here is my issue, I lost a lot of space going from a 4 door to a two door. My gripe is when I wear a suit, I feel like there isnt really a place to put my jacket. The rear, doesn't allow for the coat to hand with out slight bunching ( Im **** like that ). Most times Im solo, so I use the passenger seat. I mention this due to losing space in the trunk. Secondly, I plan on tracking the car. I think it would be a PITA to remove the box, etc.

Next, I do have the ML system and at times its great and other times its seems flat. In the IS the addition of the subs really woke it up. Really just wanted to see if anyone has done this.

Thanks
BT is pretty low in bitrate. CarPlay will have better sound quality, CD will be the highest
The following users liked this post:
Carputech (04-20-24)